Author Topic: Massive dilemma  (Read 6312 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Massive dilemma
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 12:29:03 PM »
Sounds like a good plan  :hug:

If Chavette becomes really unreasonable and is after a payout, I'm sure a few of us can chip in as a one-off.

I'm sure the rescue would be willing to back you up and may even know of a helpful vet willing to back them up for Roxy's sake  ;)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kucinta

• Adult Cat
  • Milo & Remy
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 12:19:09 PM »
Sounds like a plan to me.  Roxy was so lucky to have you intervene and find a safe haven for her.

Probably for the best to get Roxy away before the kittens arrive - Chavette would only see them as a source of booze money and amusement for her kids meanwhile...

Hope all goes well and you don't get any fall out from Chavette. It's never great to have an 'atmosphere' with the neighbours, even ones like her!

I do have to admit to a weakness for small black cats, if my feline household weren't at capacity I would certainly be tempted.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:21:41 PM by Kucinta »

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 11:46:58 AM »
I tried to speak to Chavette this morning but she won't come to the door, even though I know for absolute certain that she's in (the walls are thin).  So I spoke to the lady at the rescue and she's basically said to bring Roxy over this evening, regardless, and that it's probably best not to speak to Chavette beforehand anyway, in case she says no for whatever reason.

And when I do finally speak to her, I'm going to tell her that I'd spoken to an expert friend of mine who said that Roxy is in desperate need of vetinerary care.  Which is possible, given that she still hasn't stopped gorging herself on food.  She's either desperately trying to take in all the nutrients she's missed in her pregnancy so far, or she has worms, or both.  Either way, I think she needs a vet to look at her, and the rescue will do that.

So hopefully it will be a happy ending for Roxy, although it's not going to be easy to rehome her, what with her being black, and there are so many kittens up for adoption at the moment.  But the foster lady will keep her until a home is found for her and her kittens, and she's used to delivering kittens too - she's the one they always send the pregnant cats to.

Speaking to the rescue lady it's made me want to get involved more than ever with cat rescue, so as soon as my life's settled down I'm going to do just that  ;D

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 01:28:04 AM »
 :hug: I don't know whether to smile or cry; whatever powers-that-be will bless you for making the effort with this little one. Wish I could offer concrete help but it sounds like you have Purrs as a back up plan. :hug:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 21:03:40 PM »
You've done this before, haven't you Mark?  :evillaugh:

:evillaugh:

Well I have learned to beat them at their game  :shify:

Like the woman who said she had a stray in her garden with a bad eye and could we take it and sort it out. After a couple of calls, I asked if she could drop it at her local vet around the corner and we could take it from there. She then said "once its sorted, I'll have it back"  :Crazy: - That wasn't going to happen and didn't  :evillaugh: - I can't remember what we told her, but you could tell she was just being crafty.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 20:23:20 PM »
Good luck CJ and hope all goes well and Roxy is safe in a rescue by the end of the weekend  :hug: :hug:

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 20:21:33 PM »
You've done this before, haven't you Mark?  :evillaugh:

I will definitely take your advice, sounds the best way around it. I've been thinking that I'll be all 'sympathetic', suggest she can't really manage what with all the expense, etc etc.  Then go for your tactic if that doesn't work.

What incenses me is that Chavette is drunk at the moment, I can hear her through the wall.  That's where Roxy's food money has been going  >:( >:( >:(

Black cat - I've contemplated doing what you suggested, but there's a) too many nosy neighbours and b) It would be very unusual behaviour for Roxy to leave the Close under her own steam, so I think Chavette would suspect something.

Let's hope that by this time tomorrow Roxy is safe, comfortable, and free of that dreadful 'woman' and her brats.  I would have loved to have seen her giving birth and the new kittens, but I think Roxy will be far better off somewhere where she can give birth in peace, with expert help, and then hopefully find a proper, forever home.

EDIT: yay! 500 posts!  :wow:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 20:23:05 PM by Catjane »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 20:14:13 PM »
Personally, in your situation, I would opt for a porky that suggested the disappearance of the cat was out of your hands - i.e. she escaped and you have searchd everywhere but she seems to have disappeared.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 19:51:04 PM »
Sounds good  :) - If she doesn't play ball, tell her that you asked the rescue for help with food and they said that unless cat is signed over, she would be reported for neglect of the 5 freedoms  :sneaky:

Maybe the rescue can come up with something - I hate the idea of Roxy going back to Chavette. She is probably expecting money for the kittens, even though she won't even feed poor Roxy   :tired:

Maybe the rescue could invent a medical issue and tell her they are prepared to pay the vet bill if the cat is signed over, otherwise she will be getting a large bill  :sneaky: - just thinking aloud here.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 19:41:10 PM »
Hey that's brilliant  ;D Hope Chavette plays ball with signing her over  :scared:

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 19:30:03 PM »
Problem solved, I hope!!

I emailed a couple of rescue organisations, and a very nice lady from a Bristol rescue centre (I think connected to Cats Protection) has just phoned me and said that she can take Roxy in  :wow:

Think I'll tell Chavette a little porkie .. that Roxy isn't settling in at all well and she'll be going to a forever home.  Which, of course, I really hope she eventually does, poor little mite. Now all I have to do is wait until Chavette sobers up and get her to sign her over tomorrow .... wish me and Roxy luck!

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 17:30:31 PM »
I live in Bristol as well.      I found Holly Hedge Sanctuary very helpful when ex chav neighbour left three unneutered cats behind.     {Two females one of which had not long had kittens and one male}.        She took the kittens and left the poor mum to get mastitis.     I fed them and got mum treated at my vets until they had space for them.       I'm pretty sure they paid my vets fees.    This was quite a few years ago now though, so they might not be so helpful these days.   
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Kucinta

• Adult Cat
  • Milo & Remy
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 17:13:32 PM »
Whereabouts in Bristol are you Catjane?

I'm in Brislington.

I'd be happy to chip in with food bills and costs for stuff like worming etc. You can always pm me.

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 12:06:31 PM »
Thank you all for your replies - they provided much-needed support as I feel a little on my own with this one.

And Mark, thank you very much for your advice - I will follow it up.  Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near Chatham!  I'm in Bristol, but I will see if I can find a shelter or rescue organisation that might help with food and vets' bills.  I suppose I would have to get Chavette to sign something to say she wants to rehome Roxy, but I don't want her to sign her over to me as I'd then be responsible and I will not permanently take on another cat as my three and me have a very happy dynamic and I don't want to ruin that.

I think it's going to be hard ... I was woken in the night by Roxy scraping at her door, she's not happy being shut up, or perhaps she'd found a birthing place outside and desperately wants access to it .. I don't know :(  And of course, as soon as Roxy starts, my lot get disturbed as well.  Oh dear  :tired:  The next few days will be tough as I'm keeping my lot in 24/7 over the guy fawkes period (yes, the local brats are letting off fireworks even during the day at the moment!  >:( ).

I'm especially worried as I have to get up at 6 on the days I go to work, think I'll have to go to bed really early to make sure I have some leeway for night-time disturbances!  I've already cleared it with work to be able to 'work from home' when Roxy goes into labour, though.  I wish I knew how far along she is - is there any easy way to tell, bearing in mind that she hates anyone messing with her tummy?  I've never done this sort of thing before!!

Once again, thank you heaps for your support :)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 09:28:30 AM »
Some good suggestions here, and I hope that one of them comes off for you hun.

There is always a solution, and bless you for taking this little one in, I dread to think what could have happened to her with Chavette.......there must be a way to ensure she and the kittens are kept well away from her ?  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 09:22:05 AM »
What a tricky situation but thank goodness Roxy is in a safe place now.  Did none of the rescues you've contacted offer to pay costs if you can give her house space?  I would try a few more rescues in the hope that if they don't have room, they could offer costs (vet bills if needed) should it be necessary.  Otherwise, I think Pudding's suggestion is a good one!  If you could find a rescue a little further afield to take her, I think a little white lie about her being a stray wouldn't go amiss.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 23:32:42 PM »
Bless you for taking her in  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 22:24:54 PM »
Could CP provide you with some food. I know all branches are different, but we usually offer food when people are taking care of strays and would to someone in your position. I know we have plenty of food as Angela (Pudding) has collection points all over the Canterbury area.

It upsets me that so many animals have to live with 'people' like that  :(

Which area are you?

I could have you mixed up with someone else, but do you live in Chatham? - I'm sure we could sort something out foodwise  :hug:

I have lots of adult food where I built up a stockpile when Clapton was ill and sure I could get some kitten food as well.

It would be good to get mum onto kitten food now.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 00:39:36 AM by Mark »

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 22:12:23 PM »
Don't you just want to strangle some "people?" I really feel sorry for all her animals.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 22:07:10 PM »
Sorry no advice but I'm just so thankful for Roxy's sake that you've got her out of there  :hug:

I really hope you can find a solution and that everything goes smoothly  :hug:

Offline Pudding

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 21:08:33 PM »
Off the top of my head . . .  find a friend or rescue (whichever comes first) way,way out of the area, move kitty asap under cover of darkness or in a
bag type thingy and tell your neighbour the little minx managed, somehow, with that tummy an' all, managed to escape. Just a thought ya know, off
the top of my head :oops:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 21:12:12 PM by Pudding »

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
Massive dilemma
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 20:09:03 PM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post for a long, long time, hope all are happy and healthy.

I'm in a bit of a fix ... it's a bit of a long story so please bear with me....

My next door neighbour, let's call her Chavette, is the worst sort of neighbour you can imagine.  But worst of all, she doesn't look after her pets properly.  Let's ignore for a minute the large male cat (neutered, luckily) which she doesn't ever feed and never lets in (another neighbour feeds him), and the Rottweiler shut in the back garden with piles of her own poo, who is never taken for a walk.  The RSPCA have been informed about them, but Chavette is a serial liar and they can't force entry to her back garden, and I suspect she denied she even owns poor old Tango (the cat).

Chavette has a third pet - a little black female with a long, bushy tail called Roxy.  She's a sweetheart, but she and my Shanti don't see eye to eye and swear at each other at the catflap, usually when Roxy is trying to get in to eat my cats' food.  I and my other neighbours strongly suspect that Chavette doesn't feed Roxy, or at least, doesn't feed her properly or often enough, but we can't prove a thing.  Except that Roxy devours my cats' biscuits as if she were starving.  I try not to let her in, though, as Shanti gets very upset.

Anyway, I've been trying and trying to get Chavette to get Roxy spayed, I've offered to take her to PDSA (I can't afford her vets bills on top of my own cats) but she hasn't made an appointment, and now, of course, guess what, surprise surprise, the inevitable has happened.  I'm not sure how far along Roxy is, but she has a barrel for a belly.

Now, I didn't mention that I already had concerns about her because Chavette's two boys (kids) kick and punch poor old Roxy.  So anyway, Chavette calls on me to ask me if I know anybody who would like a kitten for a tenner ....  :censored: :censored: :censored: Which is when I was certain that Roxy was pregnant.  After a short bout of thought, I went next door and said I had concerns, particularly about the way her kids treat the poor cat.  I told her that she should be keeping her in, providing potential snug, safe cosy spaces she can choose from to have her litter away from the kids, feeding her kitten food, etc etc.  None of that happened of course.  Eventually, Chavette came and asked me if I would take Roxy in until her kittens were born as she had decided that she couldn't trust her boys around her.  What could I do?  Muggins here agreed.  I couldn't bear to think of poor Roxy having to cope with that kind of environment.  But I said to Chavette that if she didn't provide the cost of food for Roxy, or if things didn't work out one way or another, then perhaps she should think of giving her up to Cats Protection.  She sort of agreed, I think. 

Well today I went to collect Roxy, and i've put her in my large spare room to prevent interaction with my cats, given her three snug spaces, litter, scratch post, etc.  What worried me is that when I asked Chavette for Roxy's food, she said she'd 'run out' and that she had no money to buy any.   >:(  So exactly what was she going to feed her until Monday (when she gets her benefits)?  I am so cross!  And I am so lumbered.  I don't exactly have a disposable income at the moment, I'm working contract but that could end at any time ... I could be in the same boat as Chavette if I don't get a permanent job soon.  But now it seems most likely that I'm going to have to fork out for Roxy's upkeep.  Roxy and Shanti have been swearing at each other through the door, but I'm hoping it will settle down soon, because there's no way I can let her go, especially as bonfire night is almost apon us.  I phoned CP to ask for advice, but they couldn't do anything at all as they are full to the brim.  So I phoned the RSPCA (Not my first choice) who were very sympathetic, it has to be said, and said that if I wanted to rehome Roxy I'd have to get signed permission from Chavette.... and that they had no space whatsoever at the moment.  [edit] I should also mention that whilst Roxy is affectionate when she's relaxed, she will actively attack if she doesn't like something or feels threatened.  She's already caused a nasty infection in my arm!

So that is my story, I don't know how things are going to work out, and I don't know what to do.  I'm stuck with a pregnant cat who is going to need expensive kitten food (once I've built up her tolerance for richer food), potentially vets bills (although I really hope not) and the possibility of WW3 breaking out in the meantime, not to mention Roxy going into labour.  And nowhere for me to take her if things don't work out, financially or otherwise.

So, do any of you lovely people have any advice please?

Sorry for the long post!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 20:15:20 PM by Catjane »

Link to CatChat