Author Topic: RSPCA no longer taking in strays.  (Read 6371 times)

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
Re: RSPCA no longer taking in strays.
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 22:55:21 PM »
From what I've understood from what other people have said, unless there is outright cruelty then the RSPCA won't investigate neglect if the animal is being fed and watered anyway? So a cat could be living in absolute filth, with fleas and worms etc, but as long as they get fed then they're not going to do anything about it. Will this change in direction also lead to a revision of policies like this?

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 22:52:53 PM »
have to admit I'm not surprised by this statement to be honest only a matter of time as they been policing small rescues and shutting them down like little hitlers.

What I'd like to know is - of the £119 million they took in 2008 - where did the other £108 million go???

"The RSPCA is Britain’s eighth largest charity, with an income of £119 million in 2008 It spent £11.1 million on prosecutions in 2008, "

oh yes its £75 million on wages adn advertising - surely cuts should be made here before the animals suffer

Wonder how long it will be before the beloved SSPCA follow suit north of the border :tired: :censored:

as usual makes me sick!

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 22:51:40 PM »
The trouble is BC I dont think it will make more work for them cos they are very selective in what cases they investigate, its just the animals that will suffer and HQ have been ignoring many of these type of cases for a long time by telling people to not feed and cat or kitten will go away etc and they have caused cruelty to happen in my view.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 22:46:34 PM »
The difficulty in this decision lies in the fact that loss of options for disposing of unwanted animals will lead to an increase in animal cruelty (by neglect at any rate) so they are really just making more work for themselves - what a ridiculously short-sighted approach!! >:(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 22:25:49 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

My concern is also for the small branches who are running under the RSPCA banner and do work like helping MIkey and they get no mention from HQat all and the public needs to know about these branches .

I just wonder why they use the RSPCA banner, cos they get no finance and exist on donations, seems to me that now RSPCA have put their cards on the table, these little branches that do loads of good could end up losing donations if people have watcged HQs statement in the misbelief that they will no longer be operating.

Seems like a right bloomin mess and the losers are the cats and the volunteers.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 22:20:04 PM »

arent the cats at HQ aready fat and contented from using up all the donations that were given to help little cats out there!  Of course I am talking about the human fatcats  :innocent:

and I thought I was cynical :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 22:15:41 PM »
arent the cats at HQ aready fat and contented from using up all the donations that were given to help little cats out there!  Of course I am talking about the human fatcats  :innocent:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 22:14:37 PM »
So what exactly will the RSPCA be doing then ?

Lets face it, there don't do alot anymore  :censored:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 22:12:06 PM »
As someone said to me today, the RSPCA will soon be full of fat contented cats who owners are being prosecuted while strays starve in the streets!

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 22:08:51 PM »
and when you think how much their recent advertising campaign must have cost  >:( I bet people that donated thought their money was going to help stray cats and dogs - that's certainly the impression that was given >:(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 22:00:17 PM »
I watched this on Channel 4 News tonight.  RSPCA came across very badly indeed.  The gleaming head office facilities highlighted where a lot of funds raised nationally seem to be allocated, instead of animal welfare activities.

We donate monthly to local branch of RSPCA (amongst other cat rescues) as we want to help other cats in their care, having homed our Freddie from there and Gandolf RIP before him.  I believe the woman who runs our local branch does her best given the poor facilities she inherited and she tries to raise awareness in local media to raise funds to rebuild a better rehoming centre.  We won't be stopping our donation as it would directly impact on the cats at our local branch.  I will however be writing to RSPCA head office about this decision.   

I would love to see TV/radio advertising campaigns aimed at shaming back street breeders and those that do not neuter their cats and dogs. I'm sure the likes of Joanna Lumley/Ricky Gervais and other well loved personalities would give time to such campaigns.  Perhaps aimed to influence children/young people into wanting to adopt from rescues generally. There's nothing like peer pressure to influence kids.   It doesn't even have to be done under the name of RSPCA.  If they are serious about caring for animals, it shouldn't matter that other animal rescues benefit from such advertising.

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 20:47:47 PM »
The thing is as well, is that a lot of people don't know about local independent rescues and believe the only rehoming centres are the likes of RSPCA, so if they're no longer rehoming will there be an increase in people who buy animals from breeders instead?

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 17:09:04 PM »
Like JS the nearest centre to me has for some time only taken from inspectors and other branches, they advise to just put the animal out and it will fend for itself
Its about time these underhand policies come out into the view of the general public.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 16:26:05 PM »
i am ple4ased tghis is now fully in the public domain cos now oeeps will hopefullty think before they donate,

sorry typing sideaways grrrrrr lol

I wonder ifr this means all the small branches will  be closed or forced to act in a certain way now, what will happen to cats like MIkey.

The RSPCA cannot prose3cute without a case going through the CPS as we all know cos of the Willow case and CPS would not allow a prosecution!

I think the RSPCA  on the whole is just a joke and tthe policing of the really stupid welfare act is the excuse they needed to get out of looking after animals that really need their help.

It seems to me that vets are just going to be asked to put more and more animals to sleep and we are going to see a massive up turn in RTAs, feral populations and stray cats with no homes.

I cant comment on dogs but assume their will be more and more strays pts, whether domesticated dogs will eventually turn wild and run in packs, I dont know.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 14:07:50 PM »
Not really sure what they're for in all honesty. Our local branch of the RSPCA hasn't taken strays for years now. And as for the fact that most of the time it's the RSPCA pressing charges with cruelty cases I've yet to see immediate evidence, because word of mouth isn't that to me.

I was talking to my partner about this and he said it was ludicrous, and I likened it to the fire service choosing only to put out fires caused by arsonists or something similar. They make me fume.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 13:40:22 PM »
my reply on CC (and the times thing if its published!)

While I am sorry that the amount of rescue places is going to be reduced, I am not sad that they are doing this and in fact welcome it. I have always thought they should not be in the rehoming business as their policies do not set a good example of how animals should be treated - pts feral , ill, old hard to home etc - sets a bad example to the population.
They should spend more time concentrating of legislation, prosecuting and educating.
I am surprised by the move as it will eat into the legacies they get - but hopefully that will be an increase for us local rescues who work as hard with limited resources.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: RSPCA no longer takng in strays.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 13:21:47 PM »
The police & councils should be responsible for cruelty cases  >:(

Of course but in most cases it's actually the RSPCA that prosecute not the Police. The article talks as though people going in with a stray cat/rabbit/budgie will simply be told to ring the Police/Council/Vet.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 13:16:53 PM »
The police & councils should be responsible for cruelty cases  >:(

The RSPCA have a lot to answer for. It is just a money making corporation and the animals are secondary  >:(

I hope people vote with their pockets!
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 13:11:20 PM »
I know my vets, since beng taken over by a national company, now refuse to take in strays unless they have an RSPCA log no.  Seeing they are not likely to get this log number now, I suspect I will get more calls from my vet - that is where my last stray kitty came from.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 13:09:20 PM »
That's absolutely ridiculous  :Crazy: I know the RSPCA aren't exactly loved but this will mean even more animals will suffer, not to mention the independent rescues like yours struggling to keep their heads above water  :'(

Unfortunate visitors holding the animal will be told to contact the police, the local council, or a vet.

I know the Police and Council will not be able to do anything and how ridiculous to even suggest it, I'd imagine vets will be the same.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
RSPCA no longer taking in strays.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 12:55:41 PM »
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article7102322.ece

Just found this link on CC.

Just imagine how this will affect private rescues. :'(
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 13:18:56 PM by Lesley (Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue) »
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Link to CatChat