Author Topic: Ideas on how to give Ollie his tablets - Help an Ideas please Epeleptic  (Read 6487 times)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Re: Ideas on how to give Ollie his tablets - Help an Ideas please Epeleptic
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2009, 22:22:31 PM »
So pleased Ollie is getting better and back to his old self.
What a brave boy he is  :Luv2: :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2009, 20:43:57 PM »
Your right Gill, i thought the doseage seemed high at first but they say they reckon thats what he needs. The side effects were awful but starting to wear off i suppose just like humans with medication u can get side effects then they wear off

The Ollie i had last week and the Ollie i have this week are two completely cats. last week i had a lifeless drugged up cat this week i have a we cheeky boy following me about

Fingers crossed for the we man. in time the medication should reduce but they need to make sure he is stable for a while before thinking about trying to reduce it. guess i still in the early stages

xx
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2009, 20:31:35 PM »
If the meds are stopping them , then score 10 for the vet on dosage  ;D

I am so pleased he is doing well  :hug:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2009, 20:13:38 PM »
Yeah i so pleased my we boy is starting to turn into his old we cheeky self which i love to bits and following me around again.

His quality of life is certainly improving. he not 100% but on the mend. I know he is still in early stages and at times he seems disorientated like hr did when the seizures started, A few times i tught he was about to have one as he started to shake then it went away. not sure if its the medication thats stopping them but any improvement is good.

starting to get some time to myself now so can start spending more time reading posts on the forum

xx
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2009, 23:23:43 PM »
 ;D I'm really pleased to hear that  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 23:18:14 PM »
i am so pleased, thats great  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 22:09:17 PM »
Excellent news so pleased Ollie is improving. 

BTW did you see the link I put on your other thread?  http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,29383.0.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 20:23:59 PM »
We update on Ollie, the side effects seem to be wearing off from Ollies tablets and I am starting to get my we boy back and he is starting to get upto mischief again which is fab  :innocent:  :innocent:

Heres hoping he on the mend. the hospital keeping his tablets the same til we know for sure he stabilising

I am starting to feel releived now

xx
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 21:53:43 PM »
I have noticed that felix do a cat food with peas and carrots in ... so I'm guessing they are OK for kitties as well.
Just back from vet Ollie has had his blood taken. Tablets to remain the same and yeah its 45mg a day. He now also has Prednisolone 5mg to take as his skin is coming out in lumps and bumps and he hurting himself scratching. I have to wait til tomoro until the vet checks everything out the the Neurologist but for the moment his epilepsy tablets to remain same.

To top things off tonight just found out that his sister Tyler has a heart murmour. Cant beleive it. things going from bad to worse.

If Ollie is breaking out in lumps and bumps I would be very concerned about the dosage he is kon as these lumps and bumps are obviously an adverse event.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2009, 21:48:20 PM »
I have noticed that felix do a cat food with peas and carrots in ... so I'm guessing they are OK for kitties as well.

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2009, 17:32:38 PM »
Thanks desley, i think i may try green beans and see if they like them along with their natures menu to try and fill them up.

Once the blood tests come back they are looking to reduce the dose. he is certainly picking up which is good. he wanted tp play fetch today and thats the first time in a month and something he used to play everyday

I beleive there is some vegetables u can give cats along with their meat, may try and see if i can get any nutrition info. just want the best for my we boy
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2009, 11:02:06 AM »
Glad he is starting to pick up a bit, still dont know why they aren't reducing it if he isn't having seizures though. Re the veg, it is something i have done with overweight cats, you can use things like green beans chopped to help them feel full.
Please spay your cat

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 14:32:41 PM »
Sheryl Ollie  is 6 years old. they gave him medication because he has started geting lumps in his skin a steroid tablet and its working wonders. the medication given is based on his weight. he is 6.6kg. they are keepijng an eye on his liver thats why he getting so many blood tests done,

the we man us starting to pick up a bit. i have been told the side effects will ware off, i have to let vet know how he ison wednesday and they will take it from there and also when his we blood tests come back.

Not to concerned about Tylers we heart murmour, She is going in for a dental in January so they will xray her when she is indr anethsetic and check her out a bit

thanks hun
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Karon

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 13:35:39 PM »
I don't know much about epilepsy (although Baldrick does have occasional seizures but not enough to warrant treatment) but Baldrick does have a heart murmur.  The vet who detected it said not to worry about it on the whole, but to make a point of reminding the vets if ever he has to have a GA.   

I usually just scruff a cat to give it tablets (and have OH on standby with Morticia to hold her front paws) but have been knwon to sneak up on them while they're asleep and tablet them before they're properly awake.....

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 13:21:48 PM »
I would definately be seeking a second opinion from another vets - the dosage he is on could cause long term damage to his liver and kidneys, at the end of the day he is your cat and vets dont know best all the time!!!  His side effects are definately NOT normal, how old is he ?

Dont worry too mych about Tyler Hun - my little Persian Bina had a heart murmer for her whole life and lived to be 14, when she went to the Bridge it was from PKD
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2009, 21:24:26 PM »
I think i would ask for a second opinion somewhere else - poor Ollie and poor you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 21:22:42 PM »
cats shouldnt be eating veg and vets seem to know very little about cat nuttition it seems.

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 21:05:48 PM »
I am concerned about the doseage also, the we man is totally out it and keeps falling off things.

It was the Neurologist that upped his dose and they say it may get reduced after blood tests come back and dose is dependent on size ollie is a big boy

I not so concerned with Tyler , Ollie is my biggest worry

I will need to try and reduce his weight and she suggested giving both cats some vegetables. Does anyone feed veg to ther cats as well as food. once i came out i thought what on earth veg wise will i give him, do you cook it first??
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 20:59:33 PM »
I have to say I dont agree with your vet cos that doseage is far to high and Ollie right now has no quality of life at all. The longer he is on them the harder it will be to reduce the dosage and the side effects maybe serious.

But hey I am not a vet!

Many cats have heart murmours, actually starting to think most cats do LOL................but it depends oh the grade number the murmour is given cos at the lowest levels its nothing to worry about  :hug: :hug:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 20:44:52 PM »
Just back from vet Ollie has had his blood taken. Tablets to remain the same and yeah its 45mg a day. He now also has Prednisolone 5mg to take as his skin is coming out in lumps and bumps and he hurting himself scratching. I have to wait til tomoro until the vet checks everything out the the Neurologist but for the moment his epilepsy tablets to remain same.

To top things off tonight just found out that his sister Tyler has a heart murmour. Cant beleive it. things going from bad to worse.

Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
Re: Ideas on how to give Ollie his tablets - Help an Ideas please
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 12:29:13 PM »
Bloody hell- thats over 40mg a day - I would definately be asking for the meds to be reduced today.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 07:50:36 AM »
Fingers crossed the vet reduces the dosage, it isn't supposed to zonk them.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 23:42:50 PM »
Lots of good wishes for tomorrow with Ollie and hope that the vet can sort out the dosage for him  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 21:48:50 PM »
Thanks for that info Cheryl. Ollie is on 1 and a half 15mg in morning and same a night. dont think the we man knows where he is

He is at vet tomoro night so will let u know the outcome

xx
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 13:31:38 PM »
I spoke to my sister last night and she said that Molly is on a quarter of a 15ml  tablet a day, I was telling her about Ollies reaction to his medication and she said that it sounds as if the dosage is too high,  good luck with Ollie at the vets tomorrow.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 11:25:02 AM »
I'm a straight down the hatch person  :naughty: except for the poopie who gets a teaspoon of peanut butter with a pill on top. There is no way Memphy would ever eat a pill that willingly.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 10:19:23 AM »
I've always used cream cheese or soft liver pate.

Good luck.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 11:50:48 AM »
No I just tap the chair arm and say come on then, Mogs jumps up and sit down I put my arm round her and gentally open her mouth with my left hand. Pill pusher in right hand and down it goes......or it did  :evillaugh:
Now I lift her onto the arm of the chair, she still sits down and the next step is the same its just repeated for everytime she moves at the last minuts and spits the pill out again. In fact Im sure she has a spit reaction even if its half way down her throat... Im not sure I can spit something up from down there  :Crazy:
The main problem is that now she drools on me too and that makes her mouth slippy to hold plus with her being old Im always a bit scared of hurting her now shes fragile.
I'll quickly add she has been vet checked and I was told theres nothing wrong its just old age and I should consider her quality of life which is spent most of the time sleeping, eating and purring so shes ok for now
love
Tab

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 11:07:08 AM »
Have you tried scruffing Tab?

I never dreamed it would work with Willow as she normally takes my hand off but it is amazing how she relaxes when I do it  :Crazy:. I wouldn't dream of picking a cat up by the scruff but gentle scruffing when they are already sitting down -( ideally lying roast chicken sphinx style  :evillaugh: ) is fine.

It has turned a long frustrating procedure into an easy 3 second one  :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:08:53 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 10:51:25 AM »
I use a pill pusher. I tried wrapping Mogs tablets in weebox and hiding them in stuff but she alway knew which one was the tablet and unwrapped it. Oddly enough Mogs has always been good with tablets and Amber a nightmare but at the moment Mogs is being a nightmare and Amber come trotting into the room when I get her cystaid out of the packet  :Crazy:
love
Tab

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 08:44:09 AM »
A good way to pill by hand is to do it when your cat's sleepy you can pop it in before they know you've done it  ;)
or asleep :rofl:
 :shify: i would *never* do anything this sneaky and underhand  :shify: i sure they think they dreamed it all

I forgot to mention that bit  :innocent:

Willow was asleep when I decided to give her a pill. I gently stroked her head so she was just waking up when I did it  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 08:23:04 AM »
Primula works wonders with Sam's meds, and much better than ham. The only thing I do differently to Helens method is to put the primula on my finger first, then drop the tablet and just push the cheese back over, so there is cheese on both sides, I find as it is sticky, he can't spit the tablet out very easily.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 06:54:34 AM »
 :naughty: exactly  ;)

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 21:59:47 PM »
A good way to pill by hand is to do it when your cat's sleepy you can pop it in before they know you've done it  ;)
or asleep :rofl:
 :shify: i would *never* do anything this sneaky and underhand  :shify: i sure they think they dreamed it all

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 20:41:41 PM »

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 20:33:39 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas, think i will try squashing it in chicken or turkey first then if that does not work will go for creme cheese

just hope i can fool him lol

xx
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 20:30:53 PM »
I buy sliced turkey breast from the deli counter.  Take a small bit of turkey and squash it round the tablet.  Give a small bit of turkey (with no pill) ... followe by the squashed bit and it works every time.

Turkey or chicken is best as it can be well "squashed" so no fear of the pill escaping.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 20:02:32 PM »
I tried everything with Willow as she doesn't like treats. Earlier this year, out of desperation, I was grinding her pill and mixing it with furball paste but she stopped licking it off. Until recently, I had been trying to hide them in bits of chicken, pork, ham etc but she was even getting wise to that and would eat around things so I was at my wits end. Last week, I asked the vet for a demo on Pilling but he said he would only do it with a pill-giver and I didn't know where it was. He told me to scruff her, (which is difficult as there s nothing of her at 2.5kg) tip her head back and with the other hand, open her mouth from the side and get the pill-giver as far down her throat as possible (hence the rubber ended one) and release. I had planned to buy one this week but last night I had been struggling to hide it in meat etc with no luck and decided to try the scruffing method (previously, I ended up on antibiotics where she bit me) I scruffed her and she was like putty in my hands  :Crazy: - I tipped her head back and with her mouth wide open, dropped the pill down the back of her throat and gently rubbed it until she swallowed. I thought it may have been a fluke so tonight, I had a syringe (no needle) with 2ml of water in ready. Scruffed, tipped,pilled and squirted - it was over in 3 seconds  ;D - I have had months of grief and this works perfectly  :) - she forgave me in seconds and came for a cuddle, followed by a little bit of M&S tinned tuna steak  :Luv2:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 20:01:59 PM »
Anything mouldable that they normally gulp  ;D

That would be anything with my lot :lol2:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 19:52:28 PM »
Webbox
Defurem
Primula or dairylea
Raw meat
Hairball paste
Marmite
Cheddar
Prawns