Author Topic: cat litter  (Read 6097 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: cat litter
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2009, 18:54:12 PM »
resurrected to say I bought on of those rechargeable carpet sweeper jobs on E-Bay, and have found it very good at getting up stray bits of litter from hard floors and mats

and as a bonus it is fantastic at getting up pet hairs from rugs - it lifts hairs the vacuum cleaner leaves behind :wow:

so no more bending down with dustpan and brush for me ;D
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Sanchi

• Adult Cat
  • Mah boys, I luffs them!!
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2009, 13:31:33 PM »
 :shocked: You mean cous cous kitty litter doesn't come in chocolate cluster flavour ??  :shocked: :shocked: :Crazy:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2009, 10:38:24 AM »
As long as you didn't eat a clump, I'm sure it was fine  :evillaugh:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:42:34 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sanchi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2009, 10:35:49 AM »
I dump it when it gets dusty, doesnt absorb as well and the dust ends up wiffy  :sick:

If I have to dump the whole lot when it starts to get dusty, it is going to work out expensive  :(

I cant believe anyone would try to eat cat litter  :rofl: :rofl:

In my defense, I am a little bit silly and it was made from corn lol.... I'll try anything once....I might try the chick crumbs later  :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2009, 10:07:40 AM »
I dump it when it gets dusty, doesnt absorb as well and the dust ends up wiffy  :sick:

If I have to dump the whole lot when it starts to get dusty, it is going to work out expensive  :(

I cant believe anyone would try to eat cat litter  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Sanchi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2009, 00:13:52 AM »
I really hope you are joking.  :rofl:

:-[ :-[ I really did  :-[ :-[

I have also tried their cat biscuits bleh bleh bleh  :sick: :sick:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2009, 23:59:29 PM »
I really hope you are joking.  :rofl:

Offline Sanchi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 23:56:26 PM »
It does!! But it tastes awful.

I was tempted... :shy: :-[

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 23:48:55 PM »
Is it me, or does World's Best look like couscous?

Offline Sanchi

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 23:36:55 PM »
If anyone local to Rowley Regis uses Chick Crumbs for litter (or, er, has chicks!) I have a near on full 20kg bag that I don't need... free to pick up if anyone wants it. The idea being that it's flushable, natural, OK if kitty eats it etc ;D My boys had a great time piddling everywhere instead of in their new litter....including one of them leaving a lovely puddle in the cup of my bra (erm... I don't usually leave them on the floor!)

I can't really put it in the rubbish and my partner won't eat it  :P :Crazy:

The boys voted and Catsan won.....

I have 3 trays (3 cats but two of them go out.. :scared: :shocked:).  I put a liner in each, some news paper on top of the liner then about 1-2 cm of litter (enough to cover a doodie). Then all three are changed completely every day (if used) - if they do a poo during the day / evening I just shove it in the litter locker thingy which also gets emptied daily. Plus I vacuum everywhere once a day to get all the litter and fur up.

I used to have a mat for tracking but the litter got wedged in it so tightly that I spent more time trying to get the litter out of it than it would have taken to vacuum the entire room super thoroughly!  :shocked: :shocked:

Offline tortie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 23:31:37 PM »
oh well.......i think i might just keep sweeping the floor as seems to be  just as effective (and cheaper)  :evillaugh:
i have as much to learn as i have to teach

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 20:55:10 PM »

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 14:04:12 PM »
I use a deep pile bathmat as a litter mat
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 12:46:32 PM »
I have a mat and it does catch some, although it's not as effective as when I used a finer grained litter.

I've noticed that the oko reduced in size with sifting!  It gradually becomes sawdust so that I have a mix of very fine, sand like sawdust and larger pieces of oko in the tray  ;D 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2009, 10:02:12 AM »
I have one in the kitchen and it does catch a lot but not all. The problem is getting the litter out of it is a pain - The back door is a floor down from the kitchen so not an option.

I am thinking of trying a Turtle Mat type mat to see if that is any good. The small turtle mats are over £20 so I will probably buy an equivalent called Dirt Trapper. Apparently, they are identical but about 1/2 the price (Not to be confsed with the JML ones which are usless  :evillaugh: )
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:11:12 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2009, 09:23:01 AM »
probably not!

Offline tortie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009, 09:15:33 AM »
not worth the money then  :lol2:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2009, 08:38:59 AM »
I have them but they only help a little

Offline tortie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 08:34:09 AM »
so far i'm quite impressed with OKO thanks for the recomemdation, i dont think i would have bought another woodbased litter after the last bag as the cats just didnt like it, especially at £7.25 a bag, but after this thread i'm glad i did try it, it does clump nicely and theres no smells AND the cats like it, and yes i see what you mean about tracking,  :evillaugh:  which is another thing i thought i would ask...................in P@H there were anti tracking mats that go in front/under trays.........................anyone tried those

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 08:17:30 AM »
I couldnt get to PAH last week, so got a bag of Tidy Cat from Co-op - it might be a lot cheaper, but it is so heavy and hard to get back out of the tray, so will be getting some OKO on Sat.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 14:20:54 PM »
They only sell the standard 10L bags in there for £7.29

Offline tortie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2009, 14:10:19 PM »
it does last a long time, I've got 3 trays and the big bag lasts about 10 weeks (ish!)

i have 6 cats and three trays also, it seems to be the mostly recomended for odour control AND value for money sooooooooooo.......i'm gonna colour my hair put some sunglasses and a big coat on and sneak into p@h  :sneaky: repeating to myself i will bite my tounge....i will bite my tounge

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 11:28:49 AM »
I am finding it quite economical.  I scoffed at the guidelines on the packaging that said a bag (small one) would last 2 cats a month, but I filled the tray with one bag a couple of weeks ago and I'd say top ups will use one bag per month, which works out cheaper than the clay clumping.  Although I will need to start over every other month so that will be an extra bag needed then. 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 09:46:28 AM »
They have stopped selling them. I have a few of them. Although full-size, the PAH one is excellent as the edge of the pan is silicon and goes flush against the floor so easy to sweep up. Also the bristles are really soft. So much easier to use than others I have tried and only £1.49  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 09:28:11 AM »
yes its small, I know in Italy they use them for brushing crumbs off the table, I think I got them in wilkinsons or somewhere like that

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 17:29:23 PM »
when you say little, do you mean smaller than the usual dustpan?
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 16:52:27 PM »
I had one Trigger but it was pretty weak to be honest - I've got a little dustpan and brush on top of each tray now!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 16:49:31 PM »

seriously though, does anyone use one of those rechargeable hand-held vacuum cleaners to mop up bits of litter, as I am wondering if it's worth getting one

I sometimes use one (if I remember to charge it up  :innocent:)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 15:54:15 PM »
Ours have their litter trays in their room which is laminate so I just sweep and hoover ('helped' by the cats) it each day. OH is threatening to put a doormat outside their door as the carpet through the lounge/stairs/landing is a deep red so you can imagine how delightful Oko looks on it! :tired:  Luckily I've persuaded him to build me a litter tray house for in their room in a few months time so hopefully they'll get less all over the floor.

We've got two of those hand held ones for the cats and they are good for if they've made a heck of a lot of mess halfway through the day to hoover up any small bits the dustpan and brush leave behind without having to get the big hoover out (plus Boopy doesn't think the handheld one is a toy so leaves me alone to clean :evillaugh:) plus it's handy for hoovering the outside cat house without having to run extension leads out from the kitchen to plug the proper hoover in outside. The brush bit on ours is also handy for hoovering scratchposts  ;D

Offline HellyB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 15:32:03 PM »
Ive got 4 trays so it should last a couple of months then?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 15:26:35 PM »
it does last a long time, I've got 3 trays and the big bag lasts about 10 weeks (ish!)

Offline HellyB

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 15:22:11 PM »
Im going to try using oko litter how long do you think it will last with 6 cats?  and is it really good with odour control??

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 15:21:53 PM »
looks to me as if the answer for all us Oko Best users is to pebble-dash our floors so the trails don't show up :evillaugh:

seriously though, does anyone use one of those rechargeable hand-held vacuum cleaners to mop up bits of litter, as I am wondering if it's worth getting one
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 15:07:54 PM »
I put several inches in the tray, Lottie.  I think it's just because my boys, Jaffa in particular, tend to use the edges of the tray and Jaffa tends to spray the side of the tray so it runs down into a puddle at the edge.  And the clump it forms is long and thin so can't be scooped up in one go.  It disintergrates when I try to get it up.  When they go in the middle or far enough away from the edge so that it doesn't stick, the clumps are fine.  I dont want to go back to clay clumping, but I'm not too keen on the oko.  I have to keep apologising to visitors and explain that I am trying out a new litter!  The tracking is bad for me because I have a plain, green carpet.  So large pieces of beige litter show up terribly.

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 12:49:17 PM »
Ahhh litter my favourite topic  :evillaugh:

I've tried so many types of litter but I love Oko. As three of mine are entire I think the fact it doesn't stink with their wee speaks well for Oko and its odour absorbing properties. I find Oko even better than WBCL extra strong. The litter does track everywhere but it's easily swept up/hoovered.

With the Oko clump problem Suzanne, are you putting the depth of litter it suggests in the tray? If there is a fresh wee when I come to scoop I put a bit of litter over the top of the fresh one and then do the other trays and then do that one last by which time it's clumped nicely.

I've only found one silica litter that is any good for not stinking with my lot and it's the Bob Martin one in a cardboard box that looks like polystyrene balls but all the others stink as soon as one of the girls or Pinball uses it. I use the BM one for shows or if we are going away but I wouldn't leave litter in a tray for weeks like it says you can as after all you wouldn't wee in a toilet for 4 weeks without flushing would you!!!  :sick:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:51:07 PM by Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's) »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 11:10:17 AM »
I've been using clever cat (rose scented  :evillaugh:) on the tray outside mils bedroom while she is here - the tracking does drive me crazy with oko but I imagine clever cat is made out of some horrible chemical

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 11:03:52 AM »
I find it clumps fine. If I go to do a tray and there is a puddle on top, I go and do another tray and by the time I go back, it has clumped. I find the clumps hold together well. I certainly wouldn't go back to any kind of clay clumping with 5 trays + I'm concerned about the health issues with it. I agree it tracks but so does any other litter and it is easy enough to sweep up with a dustpan & brush - the one they sell in PAH is perfect.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:04:58 AM by Mark »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 10:35:56 AM »
This thread has saved me searching for the old oko thread!  I've now been using pure oko (ie uncontaminated with anything else) for about a month and am not overly impressed tbh.  It doesn't clump well for starters.  It's fine if they go in the middle of the tray and cover it, but if the pee against the side of the tray, it doesn't clump well and all breaks up when you try to scoop it.  And it doesn't soak in well either.  This morning I had a yukky pool of pee at the edge of the tray.  One of them (Jaffa most likely) had peed against the side of the tray and it had rolled down the side and was just sitting on the top of the litter.  Some had soaked in obviously, but not all of it (maybe it was a fresh pee) and even when I scooped litter over it, it still broke up when I tried to scoop.  It's not that good with odours either.  acceptable, but not as good as the golden grey.  There's also a sort of damp sawdust smell most of the time (as opposed to urine smell).  If I sit on the floor, on a level with the tray, I can smell it.  It's not really bad, but I didn't get any odour with the golden grey unless they'd just done something.  I think I will try it with some litter freshener - I have some simple spray on stuff - so I'll see if that makes a difference.  It's horrendous at tracking too.  I don't really want to go back to clay litter so I will stick with this for a while longer but I think I will then try worlds best.

On the plus side, it's light to carry and doesn't make the nappy sacks so heavy the bottom falls out, and it's not clay so doesn't make Jaffa sneeze.  It's an ok litter, but not the best I've used by a long way.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 09:49:31 AM »
If anyone is ordering, try this code as I think it is still valid for 10% off  ;)

BRD10

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 09:42:12 AM »
ahhh, errrm...........i'm banned from our pet at home store, the staff didnt aprieciate being educated on how to PROPERLY look after chinchillas :censored:

:rofl: :rofl:

Link to CatChat