Author Topic: Canterbury cupboard cats - RIP DAPHNE  (Read 6503 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Canterbury cupboard cats
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 09:24:10 AM »
They aren't in a pen, they are with very experienced fosterers. I think it is just a case of making sure they are OK first. Also they are just getting over dentals etc. They only had their bloods done on Thursday. I think it is more a case of being sure they can cope with another move so soon.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 08:41:50 AM »
i personally would let her have the cupboard cats, there is a good chance they will never want to go outside, as they aren't used to it, and the fact she asked for one and is now willing to take 2 oldies with issues, I Would snap her hand off, as the longer in a pen, the worse for them. The eldest I have adopted is 13, but they were in good health. Oldies dont always tend to go out that much either Sharon, I can't get my 19 and 16yo out of the house much.
Please spay your cat

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 08:01:26 AM »
Fantastic news - they gonna get cupboard love now :Luv2: :catlove2: :catlove2: :cat rub:

Well done everyone - something to be proud of there.  :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 22:25:30 PM »
Wow! That is beauty news! Well Done to all concerned!  ;D ;D ;D

New emotions...gonna have to check them out!  :wow:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 20:30:08 PM »
Now I can use some of those new smiley/emoticons  :cat rub:  :catlove2:  :crossed:  :wooooo:

Hope it all works out  :wow:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 20:24:28 PM »
We went to Faversham for lunch today (about 7 miles away) -I was in a little pet shop buying treats and hedgie food. I got a tap on the shoulder and it was the woman who is willing to take cupboard cats. She said that Sharon had told her the cats need to be psychologically checked to see if they are ready to be rehomed but otherwise she will take the 2 FIV cats from Bredhurst. She was looking at beds for them  :Luv2: - She is so keen and said she really wants the cupboard cats as she thinks she can nurture them - I'm sure she would give it her best shot anyway. She asked me to put a good word in for her with Caroline (Welfare)  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 19:32:10 PM »
If shes willing to work with 2 older cats who have baggage then i think you would be mad not to let her have them, in an ideal world all cats would have loving homes and a garden to lounge in safely but its not how it is  :( a whole house would probably be enough for them?

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 12:07:12 PM »
Not really as Shelley doesn't even like being stroked.

:( blimey it just makes you wonder about them doesn't it, saying that we had Schui for a few years before he really turned soft.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 11:57:35 AM »
sounds like Oscar!  he stands on two legs and rubs on you when you are feeding him, the rest of the time its like you are trying to kill him if you go near him!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 11:55:19 AM »
Not really as Shelley doesn't even like being stroked.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 10:19:45 AM »
awww, that's a shame for your mum, is she close to the cat in other ways though?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
My mum has never forgiven her local CP after specifying a companion lapcat. Her cat has never sat on her in the 3 years or so since she got her. She was rescued from a drug dealers house and is nervous & timid. My mum was looking for a companion after my dad died. She loves Shelley to bits and wouldn't part with her but she said she really wanted a cat that would sit on her lap in the evening and follow her to bed  :(

Her previous cat (part persian) Sukie went blind at 6 months - so for 12 years, my mum had a cat that would sit on her lap every evening being groomed.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 09:58:26 AM »
Sometimes - although not always that relationship comes through over time though - it did with Schui - I think if you work with the cat it can happen.

That lady sounds nice Mark, I wouldn't be phased by any afflictions, age, looks or whatever - there are quite a few of us about  ;D

Not sure about homing them as indoor or outdoor, it may be nice for them to have a safe catproof garden?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 09:37:05 AM »
One thing she said was she wanted a cat or cats that would interact with her. She didn't want a standoffish cat that did its own thing. She said she wanted a relationship with a cat.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 08:52:27 AM »
Just an update.. this lady rang me back and is very interested in our cuboard cats Kizzy and Buffy..But need to speak to welfare and fosterers as they would then be indoor cats although would have more room of course then a cuboard...! If not then FIVs.. I really hoped she might help Crawley branch out that have four fivs in care but its too far for her to go. However Bredhurst have a pair and that could work..

So fingers crossed but i would say its more about their mental state then anything... and if by making them totally indoor cats we are forgoing a chance of an outside life for the younger one...Or whether such a person who is keen to help older cats is so rare we should take the chance and see.

I havent rehomed many 15 yr old cats before!! The oldest i suppose was Gus a thyroid cat that was due to be PTS he was around 16 but he is a cat we contribute to ongoing vet costs for and still doing well...

Interesting to hear peoples views really... as rehoming i always like to rehome indoor cats as outdoor cats as i see such a difference it can make. But not had many oldies like these 2 that may now never be confident going outside esp as the younger one know is very timid still and want come outside the pen. But the older one is better...

But then if we pass they could be with us for months and months and thats not good for oldies..?
Thoughts pls?
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 08:35:03 AM »
Brilliant!!  Im so glad two more cats will have a safe, loving home  :)

I must admit the thought of those two cupboard-cats and what they must have been through will stay with me for a long time  :'(
People Power Works!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 22:56:57 PM »
I did a great homecheck tonight and the woman was after one indoor cat. I got such a good feeling about her that I suggested FIV - I said I wouldn't be offended if she said no for any reason. She said of course she would take an FIV cat - she said if we had any with 1/2 a tail, one eye, gammy legs or missing ones, all were welcome. I asked if she would be interested in having 2 and she said no problem. I told her about the cupboard cats and she said "Bless their poor little hearts, I would do my best to make them happy and calm" - I said they might no be ready for rehoming yet as Sharon think they might need more time to calm down. She wasn't at all fazed by the fact that one was 15  :) - She said I will probably think she is mad and not allow her a cat but she said she believed that cats are psychic  :evillaugh: - I told her she wasn't the only one and I thought they were sensitive to emotions  :evillaugh: - Anyway, Sharon said there is a pair of FIV cats at Bredhurst. Also we have one coming in next week so good to know we have a great home lined up. She works at home quite a lot so is around. She said that on the odd occasion she is away for a night, her mum lives 100 yards up the road  :)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 21:52:16 PM »
Poor things , people never cease to amaze me >:( you can only imagine what they have been through, :(
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 19:13:38 PM »
OMG!!!  :scared: :(

Hope the younger one can manage to leave all that behind!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 17:40:55 PM »
What about the dog  ? .....

Is the poor thing "safe" being left with an owner who doesnt really sound the best, to say the least  :(
People Power Works!!!

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 17:31:47 PM »
We didnt believe it either. But our Angela actually saw these cats. They were up there due to a dog in the house that they hated.
Both have been with us for a few wks, black and calico colour. They have had to have a major major dental and have had bloods as vet suspected that they might have a few kidney problems.. But its more a mental thing then anything. The younger one is so terrified he want come out of his pen but the older one likes sunning  himself in the sun...
Both are very close...

We def think the lady has lost it but what could we do!? They are in one of our foster pens that is the quietest pen we had with no kiddies or dogs around.. But are far from ready for rehoming for many wks or even months.. We shall see.. but at least they have had their teeth sorted as they were dire.. probably never been to the vets in their llives.  They didnt seem to suffer from any muscle problems, but they had their cat tray and food bowls up there.. Anyhow our Angela has photos but i dont have them anymore maybe she may post later on..

But we do seem to be suffering from people being complete idiots lately..!.. but she did say she loved them, so i suppose thats okay isnt it?
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 16:43:16 PM »
That's a bit like my Poppy. Since she was a kitten they kept her shut in a box room as the two big dogs terrorised her - for three years! Then when they got tired of replacing the door so many times because the dogs kept destroying it to get to her they decided to give her up. Poor Poppy - she is also terrified of men.

She's also traumatised but after 9 months is making progress. Although my Dad has been over this week and she is back hiding under the chair. But as soon as he has gone she comes back down.

I hope they find a loving home, poor babies.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 12:56:08 PM »
That's ruddy ridiculous - I can't understand how they are so caring to keep the cats away from the dog but to put them in such a small place  :censored: :censored:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 12:33:10 PM »
Poor babies  :( How can some people be so cruel, lets hope they find a fantastic home together :wish:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 11:37:05 AM »
How awful, how people can do these things is beyond me, I remember we were one going to adopt a cat who had lived all her life in a cellar sadly the cat died before we had chance  :( Like you say Mark at least they will now get the chance to live a normal life.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 11:31:40 AM »
No idea how they stayed up there but that is what Sharon was told.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 11:30:52 AM »
Ummm....how did she keep them on top of a cupboard? Poor things, the lack of mental stimulation doesn't bear thinking about. :( Glad she got bored and handed them over!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Canterbury cupboard cats - RIP DAPHNE
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 11:12:30 AM »
Sharon told me last night about 2 cats we have just taken in. They have been living on top of a cupboard for 3 years  :(

Apparently, it was to keep them safe from the dog. She has decided that she doesn't want them any more (luckily). They were up there permanently with their tray and food up there  >:(

They are 10 & 15. Sharon said the older one is adjusting to normal life with the fosterers but the younger one is traumatised (not surprisingly)

I really can't understand what makes people tick  :Crazy: - I think they should be reported but there is no way of proving anything.

Shouldn't this owner be shut in a small cell for 3 years to give her a taste of her own medicine?  >:(
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:17:10 AM by Mark »

Link to CatChat