Author Topic: Mabel is in danger: Updated again 19/03/09  (Read 6281 times)

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Mabel is in danger: Updated again 19/03/09
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2009, 16:14:28 PM »
Awww ... Mabel's a honey!  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Chav-wise, well I suppose we should be grateful that the little  :censored: are actually using rubber thingies instead of spawning! Lovely find  :shify:

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »
Ew, that's disgusting what you found.   :sick:

Good luck with the cat-proofing!

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2009, 10:22:56 AM »
Work have blocked the pic so I can't see Mabel but I bet she's gorgeous.

:censored: :censored: at what you found, some people are just  :censored: :censored:

Good luck with your cat proofing

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2009, 08:37:40 AM »
Awwwwwww :Luv: what a beauty  :Luv2:

Bloody chavs - can they not be boarded in ther house - FOREVER.

Good luck with the building project, poor Mabel having to go through this because of some nasty chavs >:(

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2009, 23:28:48 PM »
Mabel is lovely  :Luv:

I dont think she is that old but it seems she has been through a lot and its great that she has you now to love her and keep her safe.

:hug: :hug:   For you and Mabel.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2009, 22:25:10 PM »
Mabel is sweet, age is just a number and lots of luck with the building project and Mabels safety  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2009, 21:57:44 PM »
She's loved now and that's the bit that she knows. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2009, 21:30:44 PM »
vets guess May last year was a very rough 7-8 which would place her about 8-9 now

she has so much scarring though :(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2009, 21:27:06 PM »
What a treasure trove you found...... :-:

I'd say Mabel is a dignified older lady. Not entirely sure how old though!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Mabel is in danger: Updated with some plans
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2009, 17:39:26 PM »
hey

Another update :)

Mabel came home the other day hurt and smelling horrible like burnt fur... gave me a heart attack! but I can only see light frizzling on her back/ribs so I think she had just run under a car with a hot exhaust, but after the chav threats... :shocked:

Found a nice Timber Merchant who will sell me 7ft 10inch wooden fence posts at £4.17 each :) and maybe free delivery since we are only half a mile away, basically if van is free, or we can collect easy enough.

And finally a photo of the girl herself, still looking a bit off colour since whatever she was up too, she has barely left the garden since whatever happened, other than to go next door.

btw can anyone hazard a guess at her age from this pic?

oh and on a delightful note, I chopped down our bramble patch today and  found 5 lager cans and several *ahem* 'rubber protectives' and loads of their wrappers

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I am assuming they are from my neighbours 16ish year old daughter and her boyfriend

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 19:56:20 PM »
Well done im really pleased for you :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2009, 18:47:10 PM »
wehay! bargain of the century :D

just got 150 meters x 2 meters catproof nylon netting for....

£200????.....no...

£150????.....no...

£75?????.....no...

£50!!!! that's right! Fifty Pounds and no pence :faint:

I love my local garden centre  :cheer:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 17:10:31 PM »
they will test the catproofing intially anyway - once you've seen the weak spots you can deal with them

Yes you will know were to give it a tweak!  ;D

We done our own cat proofing as had to put the fence up also! It looks abit like a concentration camp but atleast my mob is safe!  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 12:03:48 PM »
they will test the catproofing intially anyway - once you've seen the weak spots you can deal with them

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 12:01:36 PM »
Poor Mabel, she is only doing what cats do.  First off I, too, would report the neighbour who threatened to shoot her.  The stupid mother should control her children and not allow them to pick up strange cats at will.  The pigeon guy - what does he expect if his pigeons are loose?  Tell him to keep them confined and pigeonproof his garden.  I am not joking about these things they are wearing and stress making and neighbours can, sometimes, be hateful.  I hope you can raise the funds to catproof and keep her safe.  I would be worried sick all the time too if I was you.  Best of luck
 :hug:

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Mabel is in danger
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2009, 10:03:27 AM »
right, it is official

I am raising money for the catproofing of our garden, have permission from both neighbours to change fences/add proofing to existing suitable fences. Mum is replacing the gates as they need doing anyway.

Local CP very sorry but they can't help, they can give me a small pen but haven't enough cash to even lend out. So far not having much luck selling artwork but only been a couple of days... am phoning timber yards etc for posts and giving them the story in hope of a discount  :innocent: worth a try.

But it is going ahead!

Question though, how high can a cat jump? we have a caravan next to the fence and garage and don't know if this is a problem? We have already just decided to fence off the oil tank rather than try proof around it...

A few views of our garden as it is at the moment

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 23:56:58 PM »
Well i own a reasonably nice car although its 6 years old its in good condition - i dont mind a bit when Winston sits on mine and i take photos of him too - although i did fetch him back when i saw him sliding down the front screen of a neighbours car - luckily they didn''t see him- but they are ok .
Your neighbours are the ones from hell - glad i don''t live there - i feel very sorry for you -it must be a real worry  :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 22:53:44 PM »
Maybe I am a sad person (or its the fact I don't own a Merc...!) but I used to love seeing our neighbours gorgeous red tabby sat on either mine or Phil's cars - even when she left muddy pawprints on my windscreen  :Luv: 

Ditto Dawn with my neighbours gingers  :)

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2009, 22:44:14 PM »
How awful :(

I hope you get things sorted soon, and good luck with the catproofing, i'd love to do that but I dont own the property

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 22:18:47 PM »
right, stuck an advert on Freecycle and am sticking artwork up on eBay to sell to help raise funds

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=110364554879

hopefully some will sell, as Tesco says, Every Little Helps

am raking through books and old cuddly toys to post for sale too

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 22:07:33 PM »
I can actually understand points one and three.

Point 1) The birds are his property. They are entering your garden and being killed by your cat .. how would you feel if your cat entered another garden and got killed by a dog  :'( It's no different in my mind - both are equally as bad as each other. It would definitely be best to try and stop her getting to the birds - or try to persuade the birds not to land in the garden.

Point 3) Again a property thing - your property is sat on his property. He's probably worried she is going to scratch the paintwork .. which would cost him money to fix. I don't think I'd be pleased to find a cat not belonging to me on my [future car].

What I don't agree with is their attitudes and the way they are handling things. They really are out of order with all the threats.

I'm in no way trying to be argumentative but I can see why they'd be mad.

I agree with everything that you have said.   The silly 'chav' mum should be telling her kids not to pick up Mabel or any other cat.......in fact, any other animal that doesn't belong to them.

However, the way that they have went about it all is unnecessary.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 21:57:36 PM »
Maybe I am a sad person (or its the fact I don't own a Merc...!) but I used to love seeing our neighbours gorgeous red tabby sat on either mine or Phil's cars - even when she left muddy pawprints on my windscreen  :Luv:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 21:53:50 PM »
what annoys me is the fact that our veg garden is covered in bits of foil, CDs on string, a scarecrow... and every single species of bird *except* these blummin Pigeons stay away... the only time they stay away is if we have a bonfire... which I can't keep going every day... Mrs Pigeon was very nice about it, after all I doubt Mabel is the only cat after his birds, it's only the fact he saw the ad we put up about finding her that he knows we have her, and he saw her eating one of his birds (by looking over our fence from the garden behind, which is the Doctors car park) I understand him being upset but she won't wear a collar, safety ones are off her in minutes and I wouldn't put a buckle one on her...

and as for neighbour number 3, we have told him to feel free chasing her off but how are we supposed to stop her sitting on his car? she is a cat, and feral at that, so what am I supposed to do? give her a lecture on respecting other peoples property and that it is rude to sit on someones car? what *really* ticks me off about this particular neighbour is he is always complaining about our dogs (and now cat) yet he merrily uses power tools at *6  :censored: AM*!!! and will have a bonfire or BBQ without giving us a heads up to take the washing in (his BBQ area is 5ft from our rotary dryer)

maybe I should try teach the pigeons to  :censored: on his car?

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 21:26:14 PM »
I can actually understand points one and three.

Point 1) The birds are his property. They are entering your garden and being killed by your cat .. how would you feel if your cat entered another garden and got killed by a dog  :'( It's no different in my mind - both are equally as bad as each other. It would definitely be best to try and stop her getting to the birds - or try to persuade the birds not to land in the garden.

Point 3) Again a property thing - your property is sat on his property. He's probably worried she is going to scratch the paintwork .. which would cost him money to fix. I don't think I'd be pleased to find a cat not belonging to me on my [future car].

What I don't agree with is their attitudes and the way they are handling things. They really are out of order with all the threats.

I'm in no way trying to be argumentative but I can see why they'd be mad.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 21:09:05 PM »
Ok, maybe Mr Pigeon instead to avoid confusion  :evillaugh:
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 21:06:06 PM »
Mr Bird is my neighbour 2 doors away and he is a nice man - he has just adopted a cat  :evillaugh:

http://www.jonbirdpix.co.uk/biography.htm

Anyway, back to business - I think all 3 of these neighbours need their heads knocking together  >:(
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 21:08:56 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 21:01:40 PM »
Wow how horrible to have one person threatening, never mind three!  :hug: Poor Mabel.

I agree with Mark - how can Mr Bird (  :evillaugh: ) say that he wants to shoot Mabel for killing birds that came into your garden! Maybe he should keep his birds out of your garden then as you have every right to let your pets on your own property. You could tell him that they are a nuisance eating your seeds. We used to have a neighbour with a large pigeon loft (actually it was as big as a house!) round the back of our garden. I used to always wake up with cooing noises because they always sat on my bedroom windowsill - it was such a pain! They ate all my mum's seeds too, she was always building contraptions from twine and foil to keep them away.

That is so lovely of your Brother and the 'alley cats' - Its nice to know there are such lovely people (and cat lovers!) out there.

Hope Mabel is safe while you get the cat proofing sorted out  :hug:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 20:11:25 PM »

Oh dar what a shame poor Mr Merc getting his precious car damanged  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: I think they call that Karma!

Karma, CARma - its deserved - and I bet Mr Merc isnt feeling calmer!!! :evillaugh:

Fingers crossed for the cat proofing  :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 20:07:50 PM »
Grrrrr thanks for the pics hun ... what a bunch of handsome chappies  :Luv2: (And cat lovers as well .... what more could we ask for).

Oh dar what a shame poor Mr Merc getting his precious car damanged  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: I think they call that Karma!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 19:06:26 PM »
Fingers crossed for your cat proofing  :hug: if you could keep her shut in the garage over night it might help her stay a bit safer, the cover of darkness encourages people to get upto things.

Offline Tiggerman

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 18:10:46 PM »
Making threats is an offence under the Public Order Act.

Someone repeatedly making threats can also be dealt with under the Harrassment Act

These are criminal offences and you should arrange for the Police to call and see you as soon as possible.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 16:54:45 PM »
Poor Mabel, she's only doing what comes naturally to her with those pesky pigeons.  Chav-Mum sounds like a right lowlife scumbag  >:(  Just had a thought... there's no way any of them might come accross Purrs is there? If so it might be an idea to move this to the members only bit!

Do you have 'instructions' for DIY catproofing?  Before I won the Secur-a-cat kit in the auction I was looking at DIY cat proofing in a magazine, I scanned the article so if it's any use to you I can email it to you.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 16:44:13 PM »
just been B&Q and we can catproof the entire garden for approx £200 including new fence panels where needed and the mesh + brackets to do the catproof top, unfortunately that is using a heavy garden mesh rather than the recommended 'salmon netting' so not as durable but would last 18-24 months allowing saving time for getting the longer lasting netting.

Will update again when I know more.

Mrs Bird is really nice and her hubby used to be too, I suppose I can understand him lashing out if he is losing thousands of pounds worth of birds, but threatening to shoot a cat?! just wrong, Mabel rarely leaves a 5-6 garden area (we all have roughly 800 square foot back yards, give or take) so doesn't actually go into his pigeon loft.

Am tempted to alert the benefits people about Chav-Mum anyway, she's upset enough people to not automatically know it was me...

And as for Mr Mercedes I think he is distracted from complaining about our animals for a little while... someone keyed his precious car last night so he is busy complaining about them... couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke  :innocent: (before you ask it was his other neighbour who he complains about all the time.

Here are some pics of my bro and his mates.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 16:01:34 PM »
Ahhh bless your brother and the other "Alley Cats" .... Hopefully they will raise enough (and might even build) your outdoor run.  Tell them you'll do a swap ... lots of pics of Mabel for lots of pics of them  ;) (you need to keep your purrs friends happy and I for one never tire of looking at fit young men in uniform!  :innocent: )

glad you've got Mrs Bird on side ... hopefully she will be able to placate her hubby. 

Chav mum sounds a delight .... NOT!!!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 14:20:28 PM »
Mabel didn't come from anybody, as I said she never actually went into care, she just moved in to our garage and gave birth to Indy within a week of a road accident (vet thinks she was thrown from a car from the injuries)

If you keep her in the house she gets very distressed and will destroy anything breakable (including a door she shredded about 1cm through) and attacks us and the dogs if she gets chance, she even stopped eating for 5 solid days she was that upset so I think it would be cruel to confine her like that, as well as upsetting for the boys and the dogs (one of which is diabetic and emotional upset can cause her blood sugar to plummet)

We are still on the waiting list with CP for either a new fosterer or a permenant home for Mabes but nothing suitable has shown up, the only fosterer willing to take on a feral says she can't take on any more at the moment. I will ask again tomorrow, though I don't want to lose Mabel since I have made so much progress with her trust wise I need to make sure she is safe.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 14:05:31 PM »
I would really keep her in for her own safety, wether its just a threat or if they are going to actually do anything its not worth thinking about. Im afraid the police wont do much about your pleas if the cat is killed, it would be very hard proving who has done it.

So please keep her in for her own safety and in the mean time get her another foster sorted out.

Did Mable come from Desley? If so maybe she would take her back, well I think she would actually after hearing this!
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 13:06:03 PM »
What a horrible thing to have to put up with  :hug:  I can't believe Chav woman took all her kids to A&E in case they had rabies!  That would be funny if it wasn't so sad for you  :(

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 12:05:12 PM »
You poor thing, bloody neighbours, we have a cat hater 3 doors up but luckily inbetween us our cat lovers.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 11:51:50 AM »
sadly we don't have a spare room that she could stay in, is a fairly small 3 bed house. Am calling CP tomorrow as the line is only open 7-9pm mon-fri

had a word with pigeon guy's wife and she has offered to have a word with him and I have offered to compromise by keeping an eye out for the birds and chase them out if I see them. I hate those birds, they are so noisy and messy! hopefully that will cut down on the number of birds she is responsible for but our village has around 30+ ferals so Mabel isn't the only culprit

Chav-Mum isn't scared of the police but maybe a quick word with council/benefits people about her 'massage' business (she is claiming unemployment but is *very* popular with the men going for 'treatment' around here) will get her off my case??

I know from experience the other neighbour won't compromise or give up so gonna have to just keep an eye out there.

With CP it is tricky, Mabel was never actually in their care but they paid for her jabs, neutering and worm/flea treatments for the first 4 months as they had no room to take her in, they have told us to call if we need advice or if she needs more medical treatment, but officially Mabel is still only on her books as a 'found' cat not in their direct care.

Got some good news though, one of my my brothers (who is in the army) is gonna do a collection round his squad to pay towards catproofing the garden. In return they want Mabel to be their mascot and I have to get loads of pictures for them  :) apparently their nickname is 'The Alley-Cats' as they are in REME and whilst in Iraq last year they had to do a lot of scavenging to get the parts needed for vehicle repairs.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 11:06:28 AM »
Will just have to hope she stays safe until I can afford to do the garden, may see if I can get any help off local CP (they are covering any vets bills for Mabel in return for us fostering her) see if they can supply an outdoor pen or help with catproofing and me pay them back over time. Also need to get her FIV tested before mixing with the boys...

Honey, I'm so sad you're having these problems. Both threats need reporting to the police in my book. A threat is a threat, to animal or human. If Mable is a CP foster cat, they NEED to know what's going on and if they are a good branch, they will support you. They should be able to get an outdoor pen for her although wouldn't she find that even worse than indoors as less space? Either way, I am sure they will find a solution.
Another suggestion, do you have a spare room? If so, could Mabel live in there until she has got used to the indoors and then give her access to the rest of the house once she's more chilled? I am not sure a feral would ever be happy as an indoor cat though but not an expert so not sure. I think police and CP are your best bet.
 :hug:

Link to CatChat