Author Topic: My brother and his wife are typical pet owners that annoy me  (Read 6497 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: My brother and his wife are typical pet owners that annoy me
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2009, 17:42:43 PM »
Kally can you not take cat to them? Wont need to explain the importance of covering him over then

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2009, 21:23:06 PM »
I too am very lucky in that my bosses at work know that my cats come first and are really good if I have any need to leave work early or take leave. Lots of my friends have cats or dogs anyway but even those that don't have them know that my boys are my family and they don't think I'm wierd or anything and they certainly would never hurt an animal, they just don't have pets. I'm also lucky in that my sister and family are as daft as me about animals. Because they live in the country they have 3 dogs, 4 cats and 5 horses (lucky things). The dogs and horses are normal but one of the cats, Blackie, is a bit strange bless her because of traumas she suffered before she was taken in by CP down there. When they adopted her she lived upstairs for weeks and they hardly saw her and she still goes off and lives in the shed for days at a time but she is happy in her own way and comes into the house when she wants to and they just let her do what she wants. Then there is little Aero who they took on when they bought their house. She had already lost her tail when they got her then she had an accident with some barbed wire and they spent ages getting her sorted with her back leg and she has a  bit of that missing too. She is now very old (we think 20+ ) and a bit senile and spends all her time asleep on the kitchen worktop when she isn't eating that is. She sometimes has accidents if she can't get to the tray in time or they don't manage to put her out into the garden in time but they just clear up after her and give her a cuddle. As long as she is happy and has a reasonable quality of life they will keep going with her. She is such a sweetie and purrs like mad when you give her a cuddle - she's my fave one of their cats I must admit.

I never realised how cruel people could be until I started volunteering for CP and it had never occurred to me that people would see animals as disposable because it wasn't how we were brought up to see them. It never ceases to amaze me the way some people act, thankfully there are enough good people out there to give our residents a second chance.

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2009, 21:14:57 PM »
my sisters neighbour had a cat that kept having kittens and the mother is now with cp someone kitty napped her for good reason they (the neighbour refused to get her spayed and kept locking her out onto a busy road) and the kitten that they kept from last litter get left on the balcony overnight and apparently theres a pile of poop and the little lad cries most of the night  :'( so i have to say im thinking of a way we can get him out of that place my sister lives in flat above him so if we rang cp theyed have to take him past the owners flat
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2009, 20:52:55 PM »
The way some people treat their pets makes my blood boil!!  Luckily, I know no-one like that, otherwise I would have to punch them.

On a positive note (and I think sometimes we have to balance things out, yes?) I have been very gratified at the attitude my bosses, and my colleagues, adopt when I need to go home early, or work from home, or whatever, if I am needed at home by my little lot, for whatever reason.  They seem to understand that my cats are just as important to me as their own children are to them.  I just wish everyone had that kind of attitude.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 14:31:41 PM »
I'm off out for a curry after work and will not be home until about 8.00 after giving my colleagues a lift home.  So I've arranged for my neighbour to give her some fresh food and to talk to her for a bit. 

Even though Bonnie's an indoor cat and I could just leave her extra food I'd rather her have that bit of company even though Iusually leave her from 8.00 - 5.30 anyway.

If it didn't take me 50 mins there and back in my car I would go see her at lunch time too.

Some of us do care and some of us don't - Unfortunately that will continue to be part of life.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 13:58:09 PM »
I used to use another forum where people had cats (and other animals) but I got a lot of flack for the way I care for my cats in particular one day when I had to cancel meeting a few of the girls because Hubby was going out and the boys needed to be fed - Milo at the time was only 4 months old. I was deemed a mat cat woman for this.

I also have a couple of friends who I think, that I am mad because of the way I treat our boys but to us they are part of the family and always will be.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 13:20:30 PM »
Not read through all these cos I don't think I can get past the bit about Mr T without screaming out in my office here at work.

Dog or cat, young or old, inside or outdoor cat - there should always be a tray for emergencies and if not and they do it, they must've been desperate to do it.  If a baby did it or a child wet the bed - would they rub their child in it's muck.

Arrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

When I was at home and I had Tibby she lived to be 26 years old and we had about 3 dogs in that time as my mum was more into dogs.  They always got on and it was Tibby's home first and we made sure the dogs knew it.

Hope your brother has some sense and lets them get to know each other and the dog's not going to be giving the cat a life of Hell Mark.

Mary

Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Pudding

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 13:11:36 PM »
One of my previous cats, Skater (because after a RTA he walked like a speed skater), had bowel & bladder problems. He would think he'd finished doing his thing, have a scratch around, leave the tray but not be quite finished. I used high sided storage boxes as trays with a bit cut out so it was easier for him to get in and out and had a 'drip tray' made. About 3ft square it solved all the problems of wee on carpet.

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 10:04:49 AM »
i'm afraid that an amount of poo and and wee is part and parcel of being a pet owner.  if you can't handle that then you shouldnt have a pet.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 09:51:41 AM »
It is sickening.  People can just go out and buy an animal or get given one, often without any real knowledge of an animals needs and behaviour.  They then go on to punish the animal for behaving normally.  I just wish there were stricter controls and laws about owning a pet.  I had problems with Maddie when she was a kitten, she would poo anywhere except on the litter tray.  I didn't know in those days about having more than one litter tray.  But she was never reprimanded we just tried all kinds of things to help her understand.  Once we had the second tray it all stopped so that was obviously her problem.  I have had so many difficulties with Charlie behaviour wise but he is part of our family and I would never ever give up on him and would always try to do what is best for him.  I believe if you have an animal you owe it to them to give them the best possible life they could have for as long as they live.  Damn these people to hell

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 09:39:16 AM »
Grrrrrrrr....What is it with people?

OH was incredibly stupid and suggested rubbing Z's nose in it a month or so ago......I think he got the message from the way i looked at him and told him in no uncertain terms that if he did I would a) rub his nose in his own business and b) throw him out the door so fast his arse would catch fire!  >:(
He apologised profusely, in his defence he was only refering to what his mother has taught him.....she is a  :censored: and I would take her cat from her in a heartbeat (and will do if I hear she is treating the cat in a less than satisfactory manner), she is a typical throwaway woman who cares for no-one but herself and what she wants, to be honest the co-owner of her pub is the one who truely looks after Suki, at least she has one person in the building who cares!  :)

Grrr relations....love 'em or hate 'em you're not allowed to hit 'em with a shovel!  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 09:14:35 AM »
One of the saddest stories I ever heard and still upsets me is one of Ron's (Lost cats Brighton) babies came to him as she had her face rubbed in the litter tray for messing  :'( - the vet had to remove gravel from under her poor  eyelids - I have met this gorgeous baby and just can't comprehend how anyone could have done this to her (getting upset now thinking about it  :'( ) She is a lovely girl and has a lovely life with Ron  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 09:06:25 AM »
Stella came to me about five years ago from a house full of kids, dogs, other cats, no carpets and basically a bit "yuk".  She had never been litter trained and to this day has never used a litter tray correctly.  If I'm lucky she will wee on the top of a hooded tray but not always.

I know I can never re-home her - who would take a cat who piddles and poos inappropriately - but she has a home here for life and I love her dearly.

Animals have become disposable possessions to some, my brother included, and I will never understand them.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 08:15:14 AM »
my oldie 19yrs )George is getting a bit senile now and sometimes doesnt make the cat tray properly(bum sticks out :rofl:) plus he has trouble getting in to the covered one so i have bought him a large open one which is much better for him but he still has odd accidents but there is no way i would get rid just because of that, hes part of the family and i make allowances for his age bless him :Luv:

Schui is the same, and unfortunately common with oldies, I caught him weeing in the lounge and pooing in the bedroom yesterday it is annoying but I would never, ever punish him for that.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 07:39:58 AM »
I have just read this topic and i must agree with all thats been said,too many people seem to think animals ,especially cats are just a things that have no feelings,after all there just animals arent they >:( my oldie 19yrs )George is getting a bit senile now and sometimes doesnt make the cat tray properly(bum sticks out :rofl:) plus he has trouble getting in to the covered one so i have bought him a large open one which is much better for him but he still has odd accidents but there is no way i would get rid just because of that, hes part of the family and i make allowances for his age bless him :Luv:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 01:41:39 AM »
And I forgot to say (yes, still annoyed!) that I don't understand why people dump animals that are peeing / pooing inappropriately, saying that it's "dirty". 

Isn't it blatantly obvious that something must be wrong, or that the animal needs help of some sort (or just kindness and understanding).

Would you dump your kids for wetting the bed?    >:(

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 01:35:03 AM »
i have just started to read this thread and got about halfway up nd i had to stop reading cause i am so angry, i am shaking with anger and now i am crying...how can peole treat animals like this? i am sick to my stomach by reading this, i had no idea things like this went on.

i would love to get hold of that fosterers' husband and rub his face in his own  :censored: evil  :censored: man. i hope he gets whats coming to him, what ges aroung comes around!

my friend has had a cat for 13 years and they have just got a cocker puppy and they have decided to rehome the puppy because he is being really evil to the cat but Socks (cat) is't even bothered about the dog, she is quite old and sleeps a lot, she is a very chilled easy going cat, bless her! but my friend is pregnant and is worried about the dog being the same towards the baby so they have been advised to consider rehoming the puppy which they are going to do, i am glad they are rehoming the dog and not Socks all be it still very sad.  :(

i am still fuming! >:(
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
you don't learn anything until you live it

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 00:49:04 AM »
Sheli - that's a horrific thing to have happened.  I'm afraid, pregnancy hormones or not, my redhead's temper would have got the better of me.  And not the hot headed type of redhead temper - the seething for days type of temper.
Unfortunately I'd have probably told her she could buy the damn thing herself.  (It may be good I don't really have any family.)

I really, really don't understand people who get a pet, get tired of it, get a new one, get tired of it, and repeat to infinity.  They shouldn't be allowed to - they really shouldn't (not that I have a clue how you'd stop them).

Pretty much as soon as they arrive, pets are part of the family to me - and since I was a kid, all my / our pets (from dogs and cats to goldfish) have been with me/us to the end, except one I had to give up through no choice of my own (Tigger the cat - I had nowhere to live, so obviously couldn't keep him with me, although it broke my heart to let him go).

And as for anybody who does what Mr T went through to any living breathing animal - or worse - they don't deserve the oxygen they breathe, or the light they absorb. 
When Ed's nervous weeing thing first surfaced, one acquaintance said that we should rub his nose in it, that'd teach him.  I went a touch ballistic....  ok, I went pretty much thermonuclear, and don't think I've talked to said acquaintance since.   Or, come to think of it, acknowledged his existence.

We were meant to visit hub's parents over new year.  Obviously, that had to be cancelled when Edward became ill, and needed daily metacam, and general looking after. 
Hub expected (despite being 40+   :evillaugh:   ) to be told off when he rang his mum to explain.  He forgot that his parents have had (well looked after) cats for years & years.
She was incredibly understanding, and said that that's the responsibility you take on when you have a pet.  To be there for them if they need it.  And she was dead right.  When you take on a pet - any pet - it's responsibility for another living thing - I know you lot all know that. 

Conversely, when hub's best friend and his wife, who had one cat, had just had their first baby, his (bst f's) mother came to visit.  Not only did she announce that the place was a death trap - she also said they had better get rid of [her words] the cat, because cats kill babies.     :shocked:   ???????
That said, I was once scratched in the face by a cat when I was about 3 or 4 - cat belonged to a friend of my Nana's.  My Nana's reaction was along the lines of 'well you know not to do that next time you meet a cat'.    :evillaugh:   
She was right, as it happens....   :shy:

But it's so infuriating that so many people seem to treat them as possessions to be discarded when they're tired of them - like a coat or handbag.  Or worse.

HUMPH   >:(

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 20:14:05 PM »
Where did the expression "rubbing their nose in it" originate because for years Ive heard of people doing just this to puppies who have wee'd on the floor

completely ineffectual as a training method because most puppies love the smell of their own mess so in a lot of cases its more of a reward than a punishment.

Socks and her housemate were rehomed because the owners decided they'd like a staffy pup.  i managed to find a home for the male (18 months and neutered) with a lovely lady who had lost her 3 cats in the space of a few months but she didnt want Socks, she was 7 months old and hadnt been done, the lady couldnt afford it.  because the original owners mum was known for dumping unwanted kittens in the woods i decided to take Socks.  the puppy lasted 6 months before they decided they couldnt cope with it.  6 months on they had another one.  i don'tknow how long that one lasted but they don't have it any more  :censored: :censored: :censored:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 20:15:56 PM by Bonkers Mad!!! »
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 19:57:10 PM »
  :hug: Sheli - lets hope it was a bad case of pre-baby hormones rocking the boat and she didn't mean it  >:( It was an incredibly insensitive thing for her to say to you, whatever her circumstances
Tell her your family comes first and that Henry is family.  Guess she wouldn't understand that, though :(
People Power Works!!!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 19:50:42 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: Sheli

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 19:49:25 PM »
I hate hearing stuff like this but my sister is the worst. She is currently pregnant and I asked her if she wanted me to get her anything and she asked me to get some highchair that was on sale in asda. Money ended up being short because we had to take Henry to the emergency vet where he was pts leaving me with a bill of £104 so naturally I wasn't buying any high chairs that month, worst was when I told my sister she ranted about how it was on sale and she couldn't get it now (because omg it isn't even born why does it need a highchair now!!!) and that if was her cat needing pts on a Sunday she would have just put it in the bath to finish it because it was a waste of money. I was so angry and upset (and still am) that had she been in front of me instead of on the phone I might have just killed her. It was 3 weeks ago and it still not only makes my blood boil (haven't spoken to her since) it still has me in tears that she could be so heartless.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 19:48:30 PM »
Thats so sad cos Mr T is gorgeous and how can people treat cats so badly  :(
Where did the expression "rubbing their nose in it" originate because for years Ive heard of people doing just this to puppies who have wee'd on the floor .....  Its all horrible of course but to do that to a cat - with his own faeces  - such a clean animal - if he had tried to clean it off himself he would surely have become quite ill ..... 

We had a couple of other incidents (non-animal related- antisocial behaviour) about that time and it seems a visit from two big, burly coppers may have put the wind up people as its been a lot better since.  WE told them about the incident - suspecting it was sort of related to the other stuff - so we actually have  crime reference number .... Useful if, God forbid, anything like that should ever happen again
People Power Works!!!

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 19:47:56 PM »
It really maddens me when this happens.  Someone we knew suggested to her husband that they get rid of the cat (that he has had for nearly ten years) so that they could get the kids a dog  :P.  He was furious (and rightly so).  Needless to say, the cat is staying put and no dog will be arriving  :evillaugh:.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 19:45:01 PM »
He had messed in the hallway and someone had literally wiped the floor with him.  His underside was caked in excrement.

I am in tears reading that.  And so very, very angry...

Me too - for the second time tonight, because of animal cruelty

Apparently they are worried she might poo again at the weekend as they are out all day as they are going to Wales to collect a dog  :tired: -

Mark, do theyknow about doing introductions properly between dog and cat?

Probably not  :tired: - I don't really speak to them any more. I have nothing against my brother but we just aren't close.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 19:41:32 PM »
Thats so sad cos Mr T is gorgeous and how can people treat cats so badly  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 19:40:30 PM »
It could be worse Mark, I know of a CP fosterer who had a young Ragdoll who did this, and apparently the cure was her husband rubbing the cat's face into it. >:(

I was horrified.

I hope she isn't fostering any more  >:(

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 19:39:13 PM »
The clincher in keeping Mr T was that someone did similar to him >:(  He use to come in here all day, but we felt thta as he really belonged to a neighbour we should put him out late aftenoon so he could go home.  But we discoverrd they just left him in the communal hallway.  Shut in - no food, no water, no bed, no loo. 

One morning we heard him wailing and let him in.  He leapt straight onto my OHs lap.  Then we smelt him.  He had messed in the hallway and someone had literally wiped the floor with him.  His underside was caked in excrement.

I washed him clean and dried him and he purred and purred afterwards and fell asleep on my lap, with his paws up round my neck. 

That day, he became ours full time.  I didnt post all this before because I was so angry and didnt want to upset any one here reading about it.......  It still makes me cry typing about it so apologis for any typos

Its nearly 6 months since that day .... No-one seem bothered weve adopted him. 

One down - four to go ..... >:( >:( >:(

thankfully he found you  :Luv: the poor little soul
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 19:24:31 PM »
He had messed in the hallway and someone had literally wiped the floor with him.  His underside was caked in excrement.

Me too - for the second time tonight, because of animal cruelty

Apparently they are worried she might poo again at the weekend as they are out all day as they are going to Wales to collect a dog  :tired: -

Mark, do theyknow about doing introductions properly between dog and cat?

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 19:23:24 PM »

Well, he's safe now, Christine  :hug:

This is why I didnt post about it before - I dont like upsetting people  :'(  But - as you all know - he is fine now!! (and spoiled rotten  :Luv2:)
People Power Works!!!

Dark Moon

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 19:15:10 PM »
My sister.... I can never say anything about my cats because....  Well, she's finally to the point where she doesn't make overtly insulting remarks, but she definitely believes I have too many (and likely I do) and should get rid of most (which I definitely won't do). Funny how my cats are too much but her dogs aren't. The destruction my cats cause (scratched chairs and the like) is awful, but the destruction her dogs cause (torn apart woodwork, broken glass doors, etc) is o.k.  We've more or less come to a tacit understanding though. She rarely says anything any more. And I ignore everything she does say.

But to leave an animal without any 'box' and then get upset when it goes on the floor? Well, what was the poor thing supposed to do? I know the pure H that broke loose when my Mum's cat just 'missed' the tray. I had to explain (and explain and explain) to my sister (who was prepared to haul the cat off to be euthanised [this was years ago. My Mum has since passed on and the cat now lives here with me]) that they don't always realize that while all their paws are in the tray, their 'business' end might not be.....  

I have never understood the concept of 'disposable' animals - cats, dogs, or anything else. I even got horribly upset with my then (she's since moved) close friend. Always had a cat and always treated it well. But lived beside a fairly busy highway. Let the cat(s) out - including at night - and they invariably were killed. 2 years was the longest any of them lasted. I would suggest  - strongly - keeping them in but was rebuked with talk of that denying their freedom and all. Well, yes, they had their freedom. For 2 years. Out of a potential life span of 15-20.  I admit that I allow about half of mine to go outside to play now too (only that many want to go out). But they are always in at night. And I have several acres on which they can play. And most (Edgar excepted) normally stay close to both home and me and are out only when I am. Indeed, I usually feel like Fagan leading his (her?) little pack of thieves when we are outside as they all trail along behind me, or bound a bit ahead.....  

Sad thing is, this person - as bad as what he is doing is - is nowhere near the worst. His animals would still be considered blessed beyond words by comparison to many poor wee beasties. Have seen far too much true cruelty ....  And they are allowed to get away with it. I am appalled to say that recently a man was hauled in to court to face charges of animal cruelty. He had killed his 3 Pomeranian dogs. With a hammer. And the courts let him off without even a fine. Said the dogs were his property and, under existing law, he could do whatever he wanted with his property.

Sadly, if 'owners' are allowed to let the little ones suffer by even so 'little' as denying them a litter box, things will escalate. Says a fair bit about our society though, don't ya think?

I guess we all do what we think best. But some ought to re-think. I like your suggestion Wib - let THEM go without 'facilities' for a while and see if they think differently!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 19:11:16 PM »

Well, he's safe now, Christine  :hug:

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 19:05:16 PM »
The clincher in keeping Mr T was that someone did similar to him >:(  He use to come in here all day, but we felt thta as he really belonged to a neighbour we should put him out late aftenoon so he could go home.  But we discoverrd they just left him in the communal hallway.  Shut in - no food, no water, no bed, no loo. 

One morning we heard him wailing and let him in.  He leapt straight onto my OHs lap.  Then we smelt him.  He had messed in the hallway and someone had literally wiped the floor with him.  His underside was caked in excrement.

I washed him clean and dried him and he purred and purred afterwards and fell asleep on my lap, with his paws up round my neck. 

That day, he became ours full time.  I didnt post all this before because I was so angry and didnt want to upset any one here reading about it.......  It still makes me cry typing about it so apologis for any typos

Its nearly 6 months since that day .... No-one seem bothered weve adopted him. 

One down - four to go ..... >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 19:06:36 PM by Wibblechick »
People Power Works!!!

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 18:56:35 PM »
It could be worse Mark, I know of a CP fosterer who had a young Ragdoll who did this, and apparently the cure was her husband rubbing the cat's face into it. >:(

I was horrified.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 18:32:28 PM »
I told my mum to tell my SIL to imagine needing a wee before she went to bed and being told that she has to hold it until the morning. Amazingly their cat hasn't weed anywhere. I said next they will be saying she is dirty when she does start weeing in the house - partly due to age and partly due to he system being messed up by them. At the same time, they have had her for 13 years so they aren't all bad. My mum on the other hand, took my advice of getting a 2nd tray for her own cat when she started pooing on the hallway rug.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 18:20:13 PM »
There are one or two "animal lovers" I know who I would like to leave overnight in a cold, dark room.  There would be no soft place to sit or lie.  And no food, no warer and .... no toilet.

Lets see how they cope and how they feel in the morning.......

Do you think then they might think differently about litter trays? 

Its from people like that we ended up "rescuing" Mr T.  And they have four other cats......  If a cat becomes a "nuisance" it appears its passed on to someone else, or in Mr T's case as he was older and "less appealing" just abandoned to care for himself.  I mean, after all, we all know cats can just catch their own food, dont we  >:( >:( >:(
People Power Works!!!

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 17:45:36 PM »
My friend's brother/wife make my blood boil - they got 2 bengal kittens but eventually took them to the cat protection rescue as their toddler kept tormenting the life our of them and they didn't think it was fair on them.    Oh, and those kittens got replaced with a dog.  So, a while later I get told that they had just gotten themselves another white bengal kitten - and I was like 'what?!'.   Apparently they were getting mice so decided to get another cat - so they don't even go and get a rescue cat but one from a breeder.   Gggrrrrrrr!!   >:(

Luckily for them I've never seen them since all this happened.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 17:39:17 PM »
Its things like that can make my blood boil. One of the local cat rescue centres to us had 2 cats returned to them recently (they'd only been rehomed in the summer) because the couple concerned have decided to try for a baby and 'cats & babies don't mix'. So if they feel that way (which I personally think is ridiculous) why adopt in the first place? Because it seemed like a good idea at the time? Because the cats were a fashion accessory? It REALLY gets up my nose.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 17:20:15 PM »
Oh yes come to the land of dogs grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............and does the poor cat understand dogs!

Afraid Mark I also have mixed feelings about some with cats too, especially when they seem to go thro too many cats...............if you see my meaning  ;)

Have to say that the air on Purrs is quite rarified and I have learntb so mucg from Cat Chat and from here and guess that the standards that we all have ate probably in the minority in terms og overall cat owners.

My pat shop know that I am a cat person and this morning did I know anything about cat psychology and it turns out she has 3 or 4 catsm and I thought she was a dog person. Anyway one of her cats since before Christmas has been bringing in leaves, sweet papers, twigs and all sorts from outside and depositing them on her kitchen floor.....no live or fead animals .

She wanted to know why this was happening......................your cat loves you so much he is bringing you presents! Wish he wouldnt LOL......kinda cute I thought he was purrrrsonally  ;D

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 16:06:43 PM »
Tell me about it >:(  My mum and dad moan at me constantly for taking in cats and tell me I have too many and must "get rid" of some.  My brother, on the other hand, is always "marvellous" when he takes on a new animal.  Not that I have ever known him own an animal it's entire life, it always seems to get "re-homed" after a couple of years,  :censored: and then he gets something else.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Link to CatChat