Author Topic: Catteries-a good idea?  (Read 6160 times)

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
Re: Catteries-a good idea?
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2008, 17:19:10 PM »
What an awful experience! As other posters have said, they do vary- we're lucky in that Uncle M's previous vet runs a cattery as well so Munchkin always goes there when we're on holiday. It's an hour's drive away but worth it because I know he will be well cared for. I have thought about using a pet sitter, but I think I would worry about Munchkin being on his own in the house for much of the time (especially as he can go out when he wants- what if something happened whilst he was out?) At least with a cattery I know he's safe and that they'll contact me if anything goes wrong. I always feel mean taking him down there though. Wish we could take him on holiday with us!

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2008, 19:15:50 PM »
the boys are still poorly so today they went to the vets, they have 'the NotorVirus' (not sure of the spelling) he said that aslong as they are alert and eating and drinking they will be fine and it just needs to work out of their system. it could take a while he said so he gave us sensitive wet and dry food. we are having cuddles on the sofa and they are sleeping on me at the moment, we are waiting for the tesco delivery man to come and visit us and give us food!

they are due to be snipped and chipped on tuesday so i have to call on monday to let them know if they are well enough to go still.
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
you don't learn anything until you live it

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 00:28:28 AM »
Oh I hadn't noticed this topic when I posted about using a cattery or cat sitter when I go away for three weeks next year!!

I had thought a cattery was best but now I am not too sure - that sounds like a nightmare!!!

Glad the boys are on the mend now and have forgiven your week long abscence

Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2008, 23:28:48 PM »
poor babies, glad to hear they are both ok now  :Luv:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2008, 20:39:57 PM »
wow what a rollercoaster of a week...

the boys are much improved, i spoke to the vets on saturday morning, seeing so much vomit and poop all at once freaked OH and I out a bit. OHwent straight round there and was sold a box of RC sensitivity wet food for them to eat for 4 days.

after their first meal they seemed almost instantly perkier and poop went back to normal by saturday night. they had their last pouch tonight then back to the norm hopefully they will be ok back on normal food.

as far as mummy deserting them at the cattery...i have been forgiven and Floss is making up for lost time now that he has found his voice!   :rofl:

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2008, 10:38:56 AM »
i boiled a whole chicken and boiled some rice and mixed it up together with some chicken water, floss loved it tepe wasn't all that fussed but ate bits, i them had to pick out the chicken for them to eat last night, came down this morning and runny poo again fills the litter tray and sick all over  the floor!

this morning i have given them just chicken and again floss loves it and tepe i had to feed hand to mouth- laziness i think not through being poorly. they are not sluggish at all just upset tums, i am going to call the vets and ask about food.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 18:37:00 PM »
Plain boiled chicken or plain boiled white fish are good for upset tums. A lot of cats won't eat rice but if yours will then it won't do them any harm. If you can get to the vets they sell a wet food called Hills I/D which is a wonder food and high in electrolytes to replace those lost through the upset tum.

Bilbo has stayed at 3 FAB approved catteries, 1 in Aberdeenshire (an indoor one), 1 in Dorset and 1 in Nottingham and he loved every one (he just went to the Nottingham one for winter outdoor mini breaks when I lived in Leicester and he couldn't go outside)

I looked round loads in Aberdeenshire and a few just outside Aberdeenshire and I only found 1 that I would be prepared to use although I would have been happier from an infection Ppoint of view if it hadn't been totally indoor and if the pens had been bigger. Unfortunately now I can't really use catteries as I only know of 1 that will board mine (which isn't ideal except in an emergency as they would all have to be boarded in the isolation room together) so I have to try and get our neighbours to pop in and check on the cats if we're away.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 18:17:58 PM »
great advice, thank you x

they both still have the runs, like dogs when they have the runs can you give cats, egg and rice to bind them up so to speak, we did it with our dog years ago- boiled egg mashed up with some boiled plain rice.

they are so hungry i tried starving them for 12 hours but they still pooped loads and were begging for food, they are not at all sluggish or ill looking, they are drinking plenty which is very unusual but i put this down to the pooping so often and so runny  :sick: sorry to be so graphic!

any suggestions????

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 07:45:54 AM »
sorry to hear that  :(

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 22:49:57 PM »
Sadly there is nothing you can actually do other than DONT use that cattery again !!
You could be right that they were given differnet food....or iit could be that their hygiene standards werent very high

Have a look and see if there is a FAB registered cattery near you for next time.

Hope the boys feel better soon  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 22:25:25 PM »
Poor boys  :(  As I said I definitely favour pet sitters to catteries but it could well be the stress of being left for the first time ever and moved that has upset their tummies.  Hope they get back to normal soon enough  :hug:

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 21:45:05 PM »
Sounds like a nightmare - poor Floss and Tepe.  I was thinking of putting my lot in a cattery for two weeks next year.  My mam usually looks after them but my cousin is getting married abroad and the whole family have been asked to go.  Think I will look into a pet sitter.

Maybe we should get a Purrs Cat Sitting Scheme started!

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 20:58:30 PM »
I'm sorry you've had a bad experience and that the boys have come back in a bad way  :hug:

but don't let this experience put you off catteries altogether, as there are good ones out there ... 

that is very true.  I can't imagine my boys coming home in that state from the cattery I use.  There are good catteries out there run by people who love cats and will go out of there way to make them feel at home during their stay.  The hard bit is finding them.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 20:24:11 PM »
I do think home-based care is best if you can organise it, but don't let this experience put you off catteries altogether, as there are good ones out there ...  :hug: :hug: :hug: to the babies, and hope they are better soon....

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
Re: Catteries-a good idea? boys are poorly!
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 20:20:32 PM »
i am not sending the boys there again!

they have the runs, they are starving and so thrirsty and they hardly touch water normally. and this afterenoon i went into the kitchen and there was a huge big pile off vomit on the floor!

i do not think it is stress or change of scenery by bringing them home yesterday (Tuesday) that has upset their tummies, they are quite sheepish around me but still playful etc, Floss has found his 'Meow'! i don't think the cattery was feeding them felix like i had asked, i even took a tin with me so he could finish it off and so he knew which type.
i am so upset and angry with my self.

what should i do?

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 00:11:38 AM »
i forgot to say that the owners dog at the cattery (looks like a fox and not very big)was one of the 7 finalists at crufts this year!

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 18:15:33 PM »
:'( well thats it they have gone to their holiday home in the country  :sad no: i just got home and i miss them loads already, when dropping them off they bunny hopped out of the carrier and went off you play, they didn't even look back.

i took them the scratching post, a fleece that i slept with last night their tunnel with a bell on it (it's not very long) and a couple of little toys. i also fed them just before we left so if they are scared and don't eat for a day then at least they had full tummys before they left.

i got the taxi there and he charged me £15.00 for a 5 mile journey each way and waiting 15 mins for me at the cattery.

i decided not to have tha tan cause it will come off when i am in and out of the pool and get a massage or something aswell i bought some johnson's over night holiday skin.

Ahhh, that's perfectly normal feeling like that about leaving them. I first left Polly and Fergus at a cattery when they were only about 17 weeks old, it was only for 2 nights, but I felt awful. And then worst thing was they then had to go back a week later as we were going away with OH's parents ( :Crazy:). That second time I took I felt so mean taking them back there, but they just hopped out the carrier, Fergus went and started to climb up the scratchy tree and looked at me as if to say "yay look what I learnt to do mum, can we get one of these at home please". I think you get a gut feeling about a place and for me I'm more than happy with them there, I know they get looked after well, it's really clean, they have radio 2 to listen to all day and if they don't get a pen with an outside view the man has bought a fish tank to keep them all amused! He always laughs at the amount of toys I take for them too, he says their pen always looks like toys-r-us!

I hope you have a lovely holiday. That massage sounds a good idea, make you all nice and relaxed before you go.

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 18:04:45 PM »
 :'( well thats it they have gone to their holiday home in the country  :sad no: i just got home and i miss them loads already, when dropping them off they bunny hopped out of the carrier and went off you play, they didn't even look back.

i took them the scratching post, a fleece that i slept with last night their tunnel with a bell on it (it's not very long) and a couple of little toys. i also fed them just before we left so if they are scared and don't eat for a day then at least they had full tummys before they left.

i got the taxi there and he charged me £15.00 for a 5 mile journey each way and waiting 15 mins for me at the cattery.

i decided not to have tha tan cause it will come off when i am in and out of the pool and get a massage or something aswell i bought some johnson's over night holiday skin.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 17:57:21 PM »
I'm sure after all that bad luck - you will have a fantastic holiday.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 21:16:03 PM »
Last year i used a FAB cattery....although it cost quiet abit more it was brilliant.

I have viewed every cattery within a 10 mile radius of here .....Have seen some terrible things.
It doesnt help as i worked in a cattery for 2yrs so know what can go on behind closed doors, I got feed up with showing people round giving them the spill and knowing i was telling a pack of lies....It got to the stage where i just couldnt do it anymore, I cared too much and the fact i wouldnt put MY cats in the place i worked i knew i had to leave

huh, well lets hope the one i have chosen is one of the good ones.  :scared:

the girl who was going to come with me because i don't drive has cried off now, she just called me, this is such a pain because it is really short notice and as it is in work hours no one can take me so i am having to get a taxi there and pay for it to wait for me.
 things come up that can't be help and i understand that it's just poor timing i guess.

this holiday is doomed

weather is forecast to be rubbish
housesitter cancelled
lift to cattery cancelled
i am now working is a practice in stafford on the thursday so am having to get a late train from there and not home, straight from work and not worked in that practice before!
the practice is 1hr away so leaving at 7am....with all my luggage including OH's luggage
getting train at night...need i say more  >:(
got my dates mixed up and was ctually supposed to help my sister with a craft fair, i thought it was the second week in december not november! i feel really awful about that i hate letting people down
getting fake tan done tomorrow after taking kittens...who knows how that will turn out, i am having it for free cause the last one i have done was  :censored: she missed the whole of the inside of my right forearm!
had my eyebrows waxed today and i think they may be wonky......same beauticians as tan place  >:(

what next...at least we hadn't booked with XL   :shy:

my head is spinning    :Crazy:

oh dear  :( sorry but I had to smile a bit at he tan and eyebrow wax, that's the sort of thing that always happens to me I've had my fringe cut wonky a few times (and my crown   :-:) hope things all turn out ok on the day xx
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 21:17:10 PM by janeyk »

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 21:06:41 PM »
Last year i used a FAB cattery....although it cost quiet abit more it was brilliant.

I have viewed every cattery within a 10 mile radius of here .....Have seen some terrible things.
It doesnt help as i worked in a cattery for 2yrs so know what can go on behind closed doors, I got feed up with showing people round giving them the spill and knowing i was telling a pack of lies....It got to the stage where i just couldnt do it anymore, I cared too much and the fact i wouldnt put MY cats in the place i worked i knew i had to leave

huh, well lets hope the one i have chosen is one of the good ones.  :scared:

the girl who was going to come with me because i don't drive has cried off now, she just called me, this is such a pain because it is really short notice and as it is in work hours no one can take me so i am having to get a taxi there and pay for it to wait for me.
 things come up that can't be help and i understand that it's just poor timing i guess.

this holiday is doomed

weather is forecast to be rubbish
housesitter cancelled
lift to cattery cancelled
i am now working is a practice in stafford on the thursday so am having to get a late train from there and not home, straight from work and not worked in that practice before!
the practice is 1hr away so leaving at 7am....with all my luggage including OH's luggage
getting train at night...need i say more  >:(
got my dates mixed up and was ctually supposed to help my sister with a craft fair, i thought it was the second week in december not november! i feel really awful about that i hate letting people down
getting fake tan done tomorrow after taking kittens...who knows how that will turn out, i am having it for free cause the last one i have done was  :censored: she missed the whole of the inside of my right forearm!
had my eyebrows waxed today and i think they may be wonky......same beauticians as tan place  >:(

what next...at least we hadn't booked with XL   :shy:

my head is spinning    :Crazy:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 13:31:48 PM »

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 21:39:33 PM »
Im the other way round in that I wont use a pet sitter because apart from the fact I live in a tower block so access isnt easy Im not convinced that the cats would come out and Mogs would just hide at tablet time. At least in the cattery I know she gets the tablets down her
Its a dliemma though
love
Tab

That's a problem I'm going to have now - my cat was diagnosed with a heart murmur about 5 months ago so is on tablets every day.  I dread the day I have to go away and leave him with someone else.  At least I know when I'm giving the tablets that he is actually getting them.  Though I trust the lady at the cattery I use and she must have plenty experience of tablet feeding.

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 21:27:30 PM »
my first choice was to use a sitter, a girl i work with who is lovely and the boys like her too.  but unfortunately she has let us down  :(

as i said earlier, i was totally impressed with this cattery (although i only had my imagination to compare with) and a close friend at work has 3 dogs and 2 cats and she is very fussy when it comes to her pets and she has offered to take me there on wednesday to drop the boys off because i can't get there on a bus.  i know that if she had a bad feeling about the the place she would tell me, i trust her.  but she said she thinks she recognises the name and seems to think someone at her dog agility club uses them,  she doesn't use kennels etc her mum house sits for her when they go away, her mum has 2 dogs aswell and only lives 10 mins down the road.  shame i don't know her!

they go on wednesday, it's like they're off on a boys 18-30's holiday!
(they have not had the snip yet, i best pack them some protection  :rofl:)

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 16:45:02 PM »
Im the other way round in that I wont use a pet sitter because apart from the fact I live in a tower block so access isnt easy Im not convinced that the cats would come out and Mogs would just hide at tablet time. At least in the cattery I know she gets the tablets down her
Its a dliemma though
love
Tab

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 12:16:46 PM »
I only used a cattery when i had to move and it was an emergency, so the cats were put in the first one i could get hold of.  They were amazing.  My three were put in a family room as they have never been apart.  They had their own outside run complete with trees, hooded liiiter trays that the did not have at home and a lot of TLC.  This cattery is run by a couple, and their daugher helps out (cuddling lonely cats).  When I picked my lot up they did not want to come, they liked the hotel service.  They also got a lot of toys as the owner said, he had loads for the cats, so take theirs with them.  I would put mine with this particular place anytime.  They have 2 long term residents as their owners are working abroad but they looked so content.   The place was spotless and also like fort Knox. No cat could get out and no human in without permission.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 11:20:33 AM »
I only use a pet sitter as well. We were away this weekend, and Katie did 2 visits (Sat night and sun morning) this cost £17 (I rounded it up to £20)

She feeds, cleans out the trays, gives JC his tablets, plays with them, opens the binds etc.

Katie is worth her weight in gold. Most of all Jess partially adores her which is one less thing to worry about.

Katie also texts me each time she goes in and lets me know they are okay, she also texts me randomly asking how they are etc too. She really adores my boys and they adore her, even when we're home they sit and wait for her car to turn up.

We tried to interview 3 pet sitters and only 1 turned up (which was katie) she has various references, is qualifed in animal care etc and was lovely. I totally trust her with the boys and our house. She has a key so I just drop her an email or text to make a booking.

I would never leave the boys with anyone else.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 08:34:28 AM »
I would only use pet sitters. Although you aren't there, they still have their familiar things around. I haven't had a holiday in quite a while but I always used to leave some worn t-shirts and jumpers around for Kylie when I was away. I remember coming back one time and giving her a cuddle. All she wanted was her tea and was straigh out the door again  :evillaugh: - I'm sure some cats cope with it but others pine. I really think they prefer familiar things and smells around. I remember hearing once that cats cope better with new owners than moving house.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 23:02:21 PM »
we don't have a car so a cattery would be v difficult with 2 cats on the bus (the local cattery hasn't got a good rep!).

There's quite a few people that offer cat sitting round where we live and we've got a fab woman who comes in x2 a day when we're away - she also spends time playing with them, which is great.  I interviewed her before taking her on and asked to see her references and she's CRB checked.

My mum and sister both use a local kennels for their cats and dogs and have done since they've been wee, the lady's run it for years and it's always fully booked!  I think it just depends on how you feel.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 16:58:56 PM »
all good kennels wash the dog before returning it - Shadow came back squeaky clean and looking wonderful! :wow:
I have used catteries in the past and while one was a complete disaster (they came back covered in fleas) the others have been great. They often take one or other cat inside at night so they get some quality bed-time while they are there. One cattery tried to buy one of my cats off me they so loved him!! :Luv: Needless to say they were unsuccessful.

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 16:55:02 PM »
we went to the cattery and it is also a kennels.

it is a cottage (really nicely restored) with loads of land and there is a feild to the right of the cottage which has been used forthe kennels and the field to the left is where the catteries are, it was really peaceful in the cattey quite a few furbabes there and even a rabbit! they where all curled up and only 1 cat was meowing and came up to see who we were. the man was just in the middle of washing the floors and the woman was giving a dog a bath, each dog gets a bath before they are collected after their stay-cool i thought!

each pen was on 2 levels and was heated at night and all had cat flaps leading to individual runs.

i had a really good feeling. it is £70 for the 2 of them sharing a pen for 7 days including food.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 16:42:04 PM »
I help out at a boarding cattery and have picked my own cats up from there today. I have to say that sometimes when we walk around the pens the cats start making a racket but I always have a chat to them and a little stroke and dont just walk past. If someone is really worried about something we always double check. Im a really fussy owner so my cats this weekend have been in complete with beds, blankets, feliway spray, treats and a snuggle safe so that Mogs didnt get cold as she cant climb to the bed shelf. The whole building is heated so technically she shouldnt have been cold but thats me worrying. Helen heated the snuggle safe and made sure it was tucked into Mogs bed for me.
If you have ANY worries rise them when you put your cats in, most catteries are perfectly happy for you to call each day. The one I help at has a sheet for each cat saying if they've eaten, used the tray, had a drink that kind of thing, we not food preferences.
I agree go with your instinct. Ive used 2 catteries in my area and one I wouldnt dream of going back to. The one I do use isnt FAB registered BUT it has 4 resident cats one of which was a boarder that was abandoned and to me that is the very best reference of a cat loving cattery
love
Tab

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 14:12:18 PM »
Hi TF
Don't worry about the cattery thing.  If you're happy with it when you see it after all the great advice you've had here, then I'm sure it will be fine.
The first time they go will be stressful for both you and them.  The first time Silvie was in a cattery I was on holiday in Florida - I had to phone a couple of times to see how she was!
Silvie wasn't impressed for the first few days either, not eating much or going to the toilet, but once she'd got over that she settled really well apparently, and one of the cattery ladies didn't want to let us take her home, they'd become so attached to her!
I haven't had to use the cattery since but I imagine that each time the cats go they will be less stressed by it, as will you because you'll know they're in good hands, even if they might not like it! :)

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 12:06:56 PM »
I wouldn't worry that you have already booked it - its easy enough to change your mind.  Probably better that you've booked than find you like the place and it fills up within that time.  I pay £9.50 per day for my 2 cats - that includes everything.  She will even buy in specific food if cats are on a special diet.   Always go by your first instinct of how you find the staff - your first impression will normally always be right.

There is only the 1 woman who looks after the cats at the one I go to - the place is always spick and span, the cats always have food and clean litter trays - you can tell that she just absolutely loves cats and I got a really good feeling from the woman.

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 19:19:56 PM »
i have booked tham in for next wednesday until following tuesday, lady seemed really nice and invited me round aswell, oh and i are going over tomorrow. obviosly if i am unsure tomorrow than i shall cancel the booking and find elsewhere i booked on the spot over the phone because it was short notice and panicked, will have to wait and see how it looks tomorrow. i also forgot to ask how much...i am so  :censored:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 19:11:59 PM »
Some offer a collection service, personally id prefer to settle them and say bye so i knew all was ok.

If your going away over xmas then you may struggle to find spaces now!

Are they chipped yet? Make sure theres a 2nd contact number available if your out of contact. A good cattery wont lose them tho  ;)
If you go to one and theres no escape run dont take the risk, the doors at each end need to be cat proof too, not a simple flip the latch and escape job.
I spoke to a lady whose cat had been lost from a boarding cattery - staff hadnt closed 2 doors :what: and the cat managed to knock the latch on the last one  >:(
So watch as you are shown round how things like that are done.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 08:25:26 AM »
I use a local cattery whenever I go away - which is only about once a year for a week.  My cats are indoors too so its quite an experience for them when they go.  They don't like it but at least I know they are very well looked after there - the cattery had been recommended to me by a friend.   If it's their first time, maybe you could put them in for an overnight trial before your holiday - that's what I done with mine before the first holiday I left them there.  I don't think they all do this but the cattery I use lets you take in your own things for your cats - so that they have some familiar things around them.   Each section is thoroughly dis-infected before the next cat moves in.  Any good cattery will also let you visit first so you can have a look round before committing to anything.

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 00:41:42 AM »
thanks x

i have found a couple in my area thing is i don't drive but i think someone will take me if i ask nicely  ;)   

do you think they would collect the boys? i am guessing probably not you never know!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 22:57:34 PM »
We often used a cattery for Beavis and Oscar , but since we adopted Fredcat we have only used it once as it is over 15 miles away and Fredcat is car phobic.

They were always absolutely fine  , spoilt rotten and came home with more toys than they went in with!

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 22:42:00 PM »
I use a cattery regularly and although my boys don't exactly love it, they cope ok and the cattery I use is excellent.  When Magpie was alive, he used to get territorial and would hiss at the other cats.  That would scare Jaffa who thought he was being hissed at, but he did settle down, ate his food and managed ok.  I haven't used a cattery so much since I've had Mosi, but he has been and he was fine.  They also said that Jaffa was more relaxed - because Mosi was outgoing and friendly towards the staff it calmed Jaffa.  In fact, Mosi became his new bff while he was there and they curled up together (something they never do at home)  ;D

I would trust your gut instinct and make sure you feel happy with the staff.  Obviously you want the place to be clean and hygienic, but what made me choose the cattery I use was that when I visited, I could tell immediately that the staff loved cats - I was there for ages chatting about cats - and would go out of their way to make my boys' stay as happy as possible.  I can take anything I want of theirs (and do tend to take everything but the kitchen sink - cat tree, toys, beds, blankets... I even took their litter tray once  ;D), they get fed whatever I want them to have (included in the price) and they spend time interacting with them each day.  When I go to collect them, it's clear that they have spent time with them and can immediately tell me how they've been in detail without having to go and chick which ones are Jaffa and Mosi!  They also make a point of asking in advance whether they would like turkey or tuna for their christmas dinner (when I leave them over christmas)!

They're both indoor cats and Jaffa can be very nervous around people he doesnt know, but I feel happier with them in a cattery than I would leaving them at home.  I know they're safe and are well looked after, whereas I'd be terrified a cat sitter would let them escape by accident.

Try to visit as many catteries as you can so that you can compare them and get a feel for what makes a good cattery.  When you leave them, take a few things from home that have your scent on them (eg wear an old t shirt to bed for a few nights and then take it for them to use as a blanket).  I always take some feliway spray and ask the staff to spray some around their room each day to help them settle in.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 22:43:07 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Link to CatChat