Author Topic: annual cat injections  (Read 6454 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: annual cat injections
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 15:57:40 PM »
Did they use a different brand maybe? Purevax is supposed to be better for the felv part.
The vaccine gives the same protection as natural immunity - 85% so i opt not to use it.

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 15:27:20 PM »
My cat goes out alot, there are not to many cats in the area, but as pointed out its better to have the injection.  Its still a worry though, you think they will never recover.  KInteresting how it was only the last set of injections that affected her.  I will discus all this with the vet. 
Thanks for the help.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 10:35:31 AM »
I am thinking of not having  Charlie done for leukemia when his boosters are due in Feb.  He doesn't mix with other cats as the garden is catproofed.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 10:24:30 AM »
When we were in Germany the vets refused to give the leukemia vaccine because of the side effects - 5 of my 6 are indoor cats (they go out in the run) so I dont get the leukemia vaccine anyway.  Tiggy was quite poorly after her boosters this year, very lethargic and no appetite for 24hrs - I phoned the vets and they said to keep an eye on her and luckily after 24hrs she was back to her normal lovely self.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 12:16:34 PM »
One thing to be aware of if you decide not give the Leukaemia component of the booster is that most insurance companies have it as a term of the insurance policy that cats are vaccinated and given boosters for flu, enteritis and leukaemia every year.

It doesnt mean you have to have your cat vaccinated against leukemia if the likelihood of it becoming infected is zero - those terms simply mean that if you claim for illness relating to leukemia (or other illness not vaccinated against)  they won't pay out.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 09:44:25 AM »
One thing to be aware of if you decide not give the Leukaemia component of the booster is that most insurance companies have it as a term of the insurance policy that cats are vaccinated and given boosters for flu, enteritis and leukaemia every year.

I choose to get my cats and kittens get vaccinated/boostered with Fevaxyn Pentofel which is a killed vaccine that covers Calicivirus, Herpesvirus, Panleucopenia, Leukaemia and Chlamydia and whilst Bilbo was a little sleepy after his booster last year I have had no other reactions than that and like Christine said better they are a bit sleepy than catch something nasty.

You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 15:03:56 PM »
You might want to think about whether the leukemia component is really needed for your cat. If not, you can have just the cat flu and entertis (panleu) components.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:34:57 AM »
i would let your vet know before they give them, as sometimes they can give them something beforehand to make them less poorly
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 17:24:33 PM »
There are no chemicals in that sense, so don't worry about that  :hug:.  Blip is always groggy for about 24 hours after her injections but better that than they catch a fatal disease.  Have a chat with your vet to put your mind at rest  :hug:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 17:28:42 PM by Christine (Blip) »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 12:22:30 PM »
no not her first set, it was a booster, and she does have the leaukemia jab.
Just one of those things I guess, it makes you think about the chemicals that they put in them

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 12:07:23 PM »
Was last year her first set of jabs?  When the boys had their first baby jabs they were sleepy and off colour afterwards but when they had their first  booster in May it didn't really affect them. 

Also does she have the leaukemia jab?  It's more common to have bad reactions if Purrs cats are anything to go by, the boys are catproofed garden only so don't come into contact with other cats so don't need the leaukemia jab.  Having said all that all cats are different so it could be that she reacts badly every time, hope not  :hug:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:12:34 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
annual cat injections
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 11:31:40 AM »
On Thursday my cat is booked into the vets for her anual injections.
Last year the injections affected her, and now I'am worried about the reaction again.
She was lethargic, and took to her bed for hours, it was not until about 20 hours later she was better.
is this the norm, will it happen every year, will the reaction get worse,
i'am very worried

Link to CatChat