Author Topic: Pussies Galore  (Read 6305 times)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Re: Pussies Galore
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2008, 19:18:01 PM »
Just watching this online now to see if I can catch a glimpse of any of my bunch at the cat show but the show woman is driving me absolutely mental the way she's treating the poor cat and the way she seems to think that shows are the be all and end all of life >:( >:(

Oooo Dave and Pinball were in the corner of one of the scenes for a few seconds!!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 19:33:22 PM by Team Svartalfheims »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val)

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2008, 19:51:36 PM »
I was sitting with my mouth open when I saw her dressing them and taking them to the pub in the pushchair. (Mind you I know someone on here who has been known to take her dogs in a pushchair, no names mentioned - VAL  :rofl:).

Aw Lesa, why do you tell all my secrets?  Those are not my dogs, they are my babies with fur! lol and I would push them anywhere they want to go. lol :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2008, 19:36:18 PM »
I remembered to watch this but missed some of the start of it (piggys and bunnies getting night time hay top ups - it never ends round here  :rofl:).

I thought that lady in Wales only had 23 cats until I read the thread and realised it was 83! LOL - made my decision to increase my furballs to 6 seems a little less crazy. Her cats were all beautiful and loved in a healthier, albeit slightly obsessional, way.

The lady who showed her persian and the lady with the sphinx didn't exactly show us in the best light. I was sitting with my mouth open when I saw her dressing them and taking them to the pub in the pushchair. (Mind you I know someone on here who has been known to take her dogs in a pushchair, no names mentioned - VAL  :rofl:). I really didn't like the idea of 7 un-neutered cats living together in one house and that boudoir to get them breeding.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2008, 14:45:30 PM »
Just watched this as I had to record it.

Poor Mr Darcy - I am so glad that he got his own back on her.  Hopefully she will stick to her word and that will be his last show.....got it a feeling she may try again.  What kind of life is that for him to endure 7 hours of cleaning/brushing.   And all that talcum powder!!!

I think the Sphynx cat woman needs to spend more time with the children rather than trying to breed the cats she has - poor things!

I am so jealous of the woman with 83 cats (although would still like to keep my friends too) - that would be amazing to live away in the country with all those animals.   Although couldn't afford the vet bills and how does she afford to pay for everything.  Now, that is obsession!  No wonder her daughter is jealous!  I think its fantastic that has given them all homes!  :catlove:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2008, 16:20:50 PM »
I watched it. How sad that the lady in Wales doesn't have any other real friendships in her life.

I think the woman obsessed with her cat Mr Darcy was dire....and the lady with the spyhnx cats.... :-: Setting up a "boudoir" so that the cats got in the mood. Eh?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2008, 15:14:41 PM »
I didn't watch it as I knew it would make me mad.  No doubt it will be repeated so I might watch it then if I think I can stay calm enough!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2008, 09:09:11 AM »
Oh. I thought she was a rescue centre - but one of those rescuing people who find it hard to pass any cat on to anyone else (hence ending up with so many . . .) out of fear that no-one could possibly care for them the way she does. . . .

Regardless, something about that still sits more comfortably with me than the persian/sphinx situation . . .

Fraid that pretty much is the definition of a collector. i didn't watch the programme so dont want to comment more than that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 09:05:23 AM »
Slightly embarassed to admit to feeling a little jealous of the lady in Wales even though I've found 4 to be my limit esp with one being ill and she has so many cats, she must have a number with health problems at any point although they all looked great.  

I think it was the sight of her being surrounded by the beautiful hoard in her armchair in the evening and going for walks with them in tow.  I think the constant feeding and mucking out would however wear thin fairly quickly and just think of the sleepless nights wondering what will become of them if anything happens to her  :scared:

Just saw your post Leigh and so agree with all you said.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 09:01:34 AM »
agree with all your sentiments, Leigh, and  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: about the busy day you have planned   :rofl:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 08:59:49 AM »
Hi folks,

A friend told me it was on and we watched it together. My first thoughts were, "oh no!, why do they pick 'extreme' examples of cat ownership/devotion such as these which just serves to give the impression that all cat owners are stark raving certified bonkers". As I watched it I took an instant dislike to the woman with the Persian and, like others, I cheered when he rebelled at the show  ;D. I did however feel for her poor husband I think one can see who wears the trousers round there and laughed outloud when she admitted to being "pushy" with her kids, no  :censored: Sherlock!. Even more ludicrous was the lady with the nine Sphinx cats, one just knew when the programme started that she had one or more cats in that baby  buggy thing and, when she dressed them up I could feel myself physically cringe, the feeding them a cooked chicken each day thing was funny especially the shot of the cats tucking in while the family sat at the table with empty plates waiting THEIR food  ;D ;D. I took a liking to the lady with the eighty something cats in north Wales and enjoyed the taking them for a walk scene, "Viva the true eccentric!!, good on you" I could hear myself thinking. Whereas the other two women featured in the programme were dressing their cats up and washing them and fluffing them up she was shown hosing down dozens of litter trays and handling tons of food and HER cats looked healthy and happy especially the walking scene. I'd like to see a serious programme about everyday folks and their cats not this sensationalism pap excuse for a television programme. I can't write anymore now as I have a busy day ahead, got to get the puds roast dinner in the oven, run their baths, sort out their clothhes and prepare the baby buggy for their afternoon run out, BCNU  ;D ;D

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 09:02:14 AM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 08:45:31 AM »
Interesting.  I thought the Wales woman was a cat collector.  This is not a term of appreciation in my lexicon  ;)

Christine, the lady in wales may have been a cat collector in the guise of a rescue - but those cats have a grand life as far as I could see, far better than the other cats we saw!

:gpoint:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 07:11:22 AM »
The trouble with Darcy's woman was she was NEVER satisfied and would bathe him twice etc.  Poor cat did you see his tail twitching whilst she was hacking at his fur with her comb?  The lady in Wales did a fantastic dog.  She maybe has too many cats but they all looked in excellent health and seemed to love her with a passion and have a wonderful life.  She did rehome 17 last year but took in another 7.  I have nothing but admiration for her and she kept everywhere spotless, trays, bowls, floors.  Maybe someone watching the programme in her area will offer her a little help so she can have a well deserved break.  Well done to her

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 23:05:22 PM »
Witty, do you know who the colourpoint longhair Sonny belonged to? he looked familiar and so did his owner.

Yes, Gr Pr Sonnywood Bossa Nova I believe. Don't have any catalogues to hand I'm afraid Gillian, so I can't look it up at the moment.

I'll admit that grooming a Persian to show standard takes time and effort but poor lad, that was a bit much for him.

Pearl, thank goodness, is a brush-and-go show cat.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 22:51:00 PM »
I've seen a programme before with the persian lady in it - thought she was dotty then too LOL!  God knows how she manged to spend 6 hours or whatever bathing and drying the cat for a show - takes me just over an hour to bath and blow dry one of mine! I too am glad Darcy fought back!

Interesting.  I thought the Wales woman was a cat collector.  This is not a term of appreciation in my lexicon  ;)

Christine, the lady in wales may have been a cat collector in the guise of a rescue - but those cats have a grand life as far as I could see, far better than the other cats we saw!

As for the women with the sphinx cats - cats in clothes - I despair!  :Crazy:

Witty, do you know who the colourpoint longhair Sonny belonged to? he looked familiar and so did his owner.

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 22:06:08 PM »
I completely agree with Maddiesmum and sooooo take back my initial little joke about Witty and cat shows   :shocked:  I had no idea what was coming but should have suspected   >:(.  

Forgive me Witty, pleeeeeeeezzzz!

Rosella, forgiveness is hereby granted, though you did not offend me in the slightest.  ;)

Maybe if any of you on Purrs wants to see cat showing from my purrspective, you're more than welcome to join Pearl and myself to see what it's about.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 21:45:45 PM »
I did wonder about Mr Darcy's "owner".  Was it that she was completely overacting for the camera and Mr D just about had enough? 

I find it difficult to believe that he always acts like this and she has only now made the decision to stop showing him.  Witty's friend will probably know Mr D from shows and could I'm sure tell a more reliable tale of his usual behaviour.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 21:39:04 PM »
I completely agree with Maddiesmum and sooooo take back my initial little joke about Witty and cat shows   :shocked:  I had no idea what was coming but should have suspected   >:(.  

Forgive me Witty, pleeeeeeeezzzz!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 21:37:18 PM »
Pleased I didnt know this was on  ;D

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 21:15:19 PM »
OMG Ive just watched this programme,, talk about cat obsessed to the extreme :Crazy: Poor Mr Darcy its no wonder he rebelled, I also cheered and as for that stupid woman with the spinx I just wanted to slap her and take those poor cats off her. She seemed to treat them like toys- just not normal. The only one who almost normal was the lady in wales and even she admitted she had made a prison for herself in having so many cats. Like Christine said sensational journalism, not impressed!  >:(

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 21:11:45 PM »
One goes to cat shows and talks about “filling a void” (could this be Witty?   :evillaugh:).

:slap:

Oh you horror, Rosella!  :heeee heeee:

Well I must say that from a household pet exhibitor's perspective, the amount of primping poor Mr Darcy had to go through to get him ready for the show bordered on the ridiculous. No wonder the poor boy was so hacked off... Persians are pretty laid back, but goodness was he cross.  :shocked:

Pearl on the other hand, just needs a quick powder and brush usually, in her case, less is more. The brush to get the loose hair out of her coat - overgrooming her removes her undercoat which is not beneficial to the way she looks - and a bit of powder to a) add a little bit of volume and b) to make her smell less like an outdoor adventurer and more like a pampurred princess.  :oolala:

The terrible thing is, I recognised several of the cats in the show... :-[ If anyone was wondering who / what the curly longhaired ginger boy was, he's a Selkirk Rex called Jack and he owns a good friend of mine. :)

Eh, and well I don't take my cats to the pub, but I do take Pearl to McDonalds. :evillaugh: Well, it's an end-of-show-day treat for her - I buy a chicken burger and she gets the chicken and I get the bun and lettuce. :evillaugh:

Still, I think that in terms of cat show exhibitors, I'm definitely one of the saner ones. Unfortunately non-cat peeps will see this and think that all of us exhibitors are like Darcy's mummy... :tired:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 20:54:57 PM »
I felt so so sorry for poor Darcy and have to say I cheered when he rebelled at the show :naughty:

I watched the lady in Wales with mouth aghast. I thought it was wonderful though when she took the cats for a walk. At the end of the day she has given these cats a loving home.

I quite liked the woman with the spinx cats until she put the breeding pair in a bedroom together, that was odd :doh:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 20:53:03 PM »
Oh. I thought she was a rescue centre - but one of those rescuing people who find it hard to pass any cat on to anyone else (hence ending up with so many . . .) out of fear that no-one could possibly care for them the way she does. . . .

Regardless, something about that still sits more comfortably with me than the persian/sphinx situation . . .

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 20:45:59 PM »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 20:40:37 PM »
Sorry - my last post sounded a bit harsh.

Okay, in my opinion (and I appreciate that opinions vary) I think the persian woman appeared to be filling the child-shaped gap (her kids had grown up and moved on) in her life with cats. Not a bad thing as such but then all the preening, preparation and stress just for a cat show was slightly scary - clearly the cat *hated* being at the show and the only saving grace was that the woman decided she wouldn't show him anymore. The sphinx woman had children but seemed to want to spend more time with her cats - bathing them (saying that she liked it when they smelled like babies  :-: ) dressing them up and decking out a room with little beds (not cat beds - miniature versions of real double beds . . .) and toys to help them get 'romantic' in the hope they would produce kittens, taking them to the pub with her and ordering them milk ( :tired: ) . . . . I know the object of the program was to show cat obsessed people but the very people on screen tonight seemed like parodies of cat mad people!

The only woman who I would have any time for was the woman with over 70 cats, 40 litter boxes and an £8k food bill per year. Seeing her settle down in front of the fire in the evening with all those cats - I can appreciate the madness in that scenario more than the other 2.

The first two seemed to be obsessed with what their cats looked like and what their cats did prove the worth of their owners. The woman with the cat sanctuary seemed be obsessed with doing the right thing for her cats and simply asked for companionship in return.

That's how I viewed it, anyway.

We are *all* cat mad - just some madder than others, I suppose!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 20:33:00 PM »
I completely agree with Maddiesmum and sooooo take back my initial little joke about Witty and cat shows  :shocked:  I had no idea what was coming but should have suspected   >:(

Have to say the lady in Wales was wonderful  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 20:33:26 PM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 20:26:23 PM »
Could they have found anyone more completely cat obsessed (and I don't necessarily mean in a good way regarding two of the three women featured) if they had tried?!

Which one wasn't, Harna?  Sensationalist journalism at its usual derisory standard of objectivity, IMHO.

I was thinking along the same lines as Maddiesmum . . . but couldn't have phrased it so politely, so didn't bother trying.  :sneaky:

As the proud human of six persian cats (all rescue!) over the years, I am incensed when I see yet another stereotypical portrayal of persians - and their owners - like this one. My persians are cats and do cat things. They do not spend 7 hours being primped and preaned and having a bottle of talc emptied into their coats. I cheered when 'Mr Darcy' objected at the cat show - if I was that cat I would have had that woman's eyes out . . . .

Now, where's the 'fuming' emoticon? I want one frowning with smoke coming out of the top of it's head . . . .    >:(

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 20:25:39 PM »
I watched it.  Felt so very sorry for Darcy who was pulled, bathed, brushed, combed and fussed over for 7 hours at a stretch!  In fact I almost cheered when he fought back at the cat show.  As for the Sphynx lady, well I think she needs some help personally.  The other woman with 83 cats seems to do a magnificent job and give them a wonderful life.  Well done to her but the other two ....

Here here maddiesmum Poor poor Darcy I should think after getting up at 4am and being pulled around think we'd all be a bit angry wouldn't we
those beautiful cats in wales she should ask for volunteers i'd go for a holiday to help out what a beautiful place to live 

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 20:16:54 PM »
I watched it.  Felt so very sorry for Darcy who was pulled, bathed, brushed, combed and fussed over for 7 hours at a stretch!  In fact I almost cheered when he fought back at the cat show.  As for the Sphynx lady, well I think she needs some help personally.  The other woman with 83 cats seems to do a magnificent job and give them a wonderful life.  Well done to her but the other two ....

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 20:09:15 PM »
Could they have found anyone more completely cat obsessed (and I don't necessarily mean in a good way regarding two of the three women featured) if they had tried?!

Which one wasn't, Harna?  Sensationalist journalism at its usual derisory standard of objectivity, IMHO.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 20:05:07 PM »
Heaven's above!
 :Crazy:

I just caught about half of this program watched with my mouth agape!

Gives other cat lovers a bad name, in my humble opinion. . . .  >:(

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 19:09:32 PM »
Yep, mum's just reminded me thats on, must go and tape it, cos gotta feed the cats first - and then me!  ;D

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 18:52:26 PM »
Thanx, Ill be watching ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 15:58:32 PM »
Forgot about that - thanks Rosella. I think I'll watch it!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Pussies Galore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 14:24:15 PM »
Not sure whether this programme will just tell us what we already know about crazy cat ladies  :rofl:

"First Cut: Pussies Galore Channel 4, 7.35pm tonight (Friday 12 Sept)

Ceri Whitby’s film follows three women whose lives are dominated by their cats. One goes to cat shows and talks about “filling a void” (could this be Witty?   :evillaugh:). Another, who has seven hairless Sphinx cats, buys them glasses of milk in the pub. A third lady, three-times divorced, runs a rescue home for cats in Snowdonia and talks about having created a prison for herself. They may have found meaning and purpose in their lives, but they are tinged with desperation"

Link to CatChat