Author Topic: Annoyed at my friend being a stereotypical "I want kittens" person-UPDATE!!!  (Read 5849 times)

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Annoyed at my friend being a stereotypical "I want kittens" person
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 14:42:30 PM »
I do agree with people the fact that he has asked questions and gone to a rescue place etc, now has a homecheck which is fantastic  :naughty: the only reason I was peeved was because it seemed that if the rescue did not have his "dream" kittens (must be this old, cant be black/black and white, etc etc) that he would go to a backstreet breeder to get his "perfect" kittens, and the only reason he didn't is because "i asked him nicely not to"

I felt like he was making me feel as if the rescues did not "perform" well enough for him that he would have "no option" but to go to a backstreet breeder. Thats what annoyed me.

I will continue to answer his questions and guide him along the path so many of us have absolutely no regrets taking!!  :Luv2:

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 13:09:18 PM »
I too when I decided I wanted cats only wanted kittens!  Though wasn't fussy for colouring or pedigree.  Looking back, I was probably wrong but I had never really been around cats very much (other than my friends) and really wanted kittens to be my first so that I could learn how to grow with them.  Now that I fully understand cats and have experience I will always take an older cat from a rescue.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 13:01:11 PM »
I dont think just because someone has strong opinions on what sort of kitten / cat they want should send off 'warning bells' that they are not serious about it. I had very strong opinions that I wanted tabby kittens (or a variation of that) when I started looking for mine and yes if only black kittens were available from rescues I would have waited until tabby kittens came in (personla taste but i know there are black cat devotees on here). This doesn't make me a bad owner I just wanted a particular moggie. I did compromise (I wanted boys but have girls instead  :)) and would never have gone to a breeder just because a rescue didn't have what I wanted. I wouldn't be to harse on your friend, at least they are asking questions which is a GOOD start. Lets hope they find what they want and dont decide to go elsewhere

I agree with you.
Look at the people who only have pedigree cats !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 12:58:47 PM »
Whilst I would have been happy to rehome an older cat I was pretty sure Beavis , and especially Fred cat would not have tolerated them which is why I wanted kittens!!

Colour was un-important - as it is I got ginger boys which was a bit of a novelty for me! ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
Sadly there are few people that go to rescues thinking "Which cat needs a home the most"  :(

I got Kylie as she was so depressed at the CP centre and Alice because she was sick
OH got Willow because she had "A personality disorder" and nobody wanted her - and Clapton because he was in a bad way with allergic dermatitis, a bad mouth and scared to death  :Luv2: (and look what a lovely cat he turned out to be!  :Luv2: )  
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 13:01:24 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 12:36:53 PM »
I dont think just because someone has strong opinions on what sort of kitten / cat they want should send off 'warning bells' that they are not serious about it. I had very strong opinions that I wanted tabby kittens (or a variation of that) when I started looking for mine and yes if only black kittens were available from rescues I would have waited until tabby kittens came in (personla taste but i know there are black cat devotees on here). This doesn't make me a bad owner I just wanted a particular moggie. I did compromise (I wanted boys but have girls instead  :)) and would never have gone to a breeder just because a rescue didn't have what I wanted. I wouldn't be to harse on your friend, at least they are asking questions which is a GOOD start. Lets hope they find what they want and dont decide to go elsewhere

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 12:17:57 PM »
I went to the blue cross wanting kittens, ended up with a right motley crew of who knows what age!!!  maybe they'll change their minds (and would now never have a kitten because they are such a pain!)

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
Annoyed at my friend being a stereotypical "I want kittens" person-UPDATE!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 12:15:54 PM »
I had an inkling from my friend a few months ago that him and his new girlfriend (they are both Community support officers) were getting on pretty well blah blah blah and were asking me about my cats.
The first warning bell was "Oh I would only want kittens cos then I could watch them grow up" even after I stated that everyone wants kittens and how about a 1year old etc etc (they are already house trained etc etc) oh no its got to be kittens. Of no more than 9 weeks old.  :doh:
second warning bell- the girlfriend says "oh they would have to be colourful, I don't want a black/Black and white cos they remind me of my cat as a child" I again reminded them that everyone leaves these colours behind and wouldn't they love to rehome the cat that nobody wants? But no, colourful little kittens it is.

So I get a Facebook message asking me all sorts of questions, which I answer truthfully. Then today I get a text saying "Nowhere has any kittens" and I said, well thats because they go quick but you can go on a sort of waiting list where they will call if kittens come in. I was SOOOOOO worried that he would go off and buy some from some backstreet breeder, so I texted him asking him to "PLEASE not do that". He texted back saying "oh I wouldn't do that but ONLY for you" Turns out the CP are homechecking him this weeked. Which is good news I suppose, I just wish people didn't have to be so bloody picky. >:(

Rant over. :shy:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 14:17:41 PM by Mojo »

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Link to CatChat