Author Topic: Are your (Heinz variety) cats indoor cats or free roaming?  (Read 6030 times)

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
Re: Are your (Heinz variety) cats indoor cats or free roaming?
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 14:06:12 PM »
Lily has outdoor access 24/7.  I was planning on having her as an indoor cat but she's a rescued stray and was crying to go out as soon as I got her.  I kept her in for about 3 months due to a skin infection and she drove me mad, she was also very depressed and restless.  She's now much happier and has made lots of local friends, when I get home from work she saunters over to greet me and anyone who's about says "Oh that's YOUR cat, she's round at mine all the time!".  I think she has a better social life than me!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2008, 21:05:51 PM »
              Ok Bazz's Mum fess up who is number 11 :shify:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2008, 16:07:14 PM »

11 cats now and all indoor/cat proofed garden... ;)

Hang on! - I thought you had 10 same as me? or have I missed something?  :sneaky:

MBll

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2008, 15:50:18 PM »
My cats can free roam in the house.................thats going from room to room ...free roaming lol  :innocent:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2008, 13:32:29 PM »
I too live in a large house (fancy a trade Liz?  :sneaky::innocent:

11 cats now and all indoor/cat proofed garden... ;)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2008, 13:13:10 PM »
We live in a large house but its an even split cats have family room, cat room, downstairs study, stairs, our bedroom, upstairs study and 2 bathrooms through the day - other bedrooms are out of bounds as are their ensuites - or failing that the rehab wing!

THe others have lounge/diningroom/conservatory/kitchen and utility room plus the whole of the outside!

We also have amortgage that scares the hell out of us but its safe and people free and very rural! :Crazy:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 23:25:24 PM »
We have indoor/outdoor including our ragdoll and 20 indoor only at our choice

Wow! You have 20 indoor only cats...you must live in a mansion! :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2008, 23:07:46 PM »
Indoor/Outdoor.

Jameson has a catflap with 24/7 access.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2008, 13:14:28 PM »
We have indoor/outdoor including our ragdoll and 20 indoor only at our choice

Our mob live in a secluded location and have a huge garden, paddock and 8 acres of woods to roam, most of the indoor/outdoor crew rarely leave the garden - its 2 acres with a stream but some of the former ferals like to wander in to the woods

We share a track which is 1.5 miles off a C road and our neighbours have cats so we all are slow on the track due to potholes but always let the cats get off safely to the side.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2008, 11:51:31 AM »
I've three mogs and a ped and have a cat proofed garden - I lost by beautiful Algie to the road (2 years yesterday) and would never let them out free roaming again

I have 2 bengals and a DSH -  I lost a Bengal to the road (my so called quiet cul-de-sac) - and feel and have the same as Dawn - 3 years this Nov I have been at proofed.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »
Indoor for ours as well, they have restrcicted outdoor access though.

Jess had never been outside till last year when we took him out on his harness, now a year later we take him out with no harness but he doesn't seem interested in going anywhere, I do keep my eyes on him at all times.

Milo was a kitten when we got him he was a stray though so had been out, but now he only goes out on his harness but he is easily spooked and runs indoors

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2008, 18:19:24 PM »
Indoors only for my two as I live near a very busy bypass which is at the end of my street plus a fairly busy back lane and also horrible kids who I wouldn't trust. Long term plan is to have my own place (in council house at the mo) with a garden I can cat proof for them. They are fine being indoors only and have the run of the house plus loads of toys.

Offline Linda D

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2008, 18:08:11 PM »
Indoors only.  I used to let my darling Lettice go out thought the cat-flap in the daytime but she got run over despite me living on a quiet cul-de-sac, so it's inside only for my little newby Stanley

Offline Pooky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 17:28:34 PM »
Indoor for many reasons.

Busy road, horrible local kids, other wildlife...

I still get minor jibes from some people saying that they consider it cruel and they would never keep a cat indoors.

I try not to let it bother me but he has been getting more and more curious about what is beyond the 'scary front door'.  Ideally I'd love to let him roam but my desire to keep him safe outweighs this in the end.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 11:22:59 AM »
All indoor.

For so many reasons.

If we ever move and get a place with a nice garden I'll cat proof it but till then it's indoor only.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2008, 10:31:06 AM »
Mine have access to the outside before and after work, they are all in when I am out and at night, but there is only Moses that goes anywhere, Molly and Zia rarely go out, and I am hoping Mabel will do the same.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 10:13:14 AM »
Mine never seem to want to go beyond the garden. Clapton occasionally hops over the fence at the back at night but only if there is nothing around. He will be straight back at the first sign of another cat, or car (it's only an access drive for the vets). Kylie has managed to get over a couple of times but can't get back :Crazy:, Willow has no inclination and Alice hasn't got the strength to get over a 6ft fence.

We are on a High Street so they don't go out the front. A lot easier since I closed the B&B  :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:41:13 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 08:45:24 AM »
Beavis (the pdedigree) had daytime outdoor free access - we are in a queit rural area and besides , i anyone stole him I can pretty much guarentee they would bring him back in a couple of hours! :evillaugh:

The kitbits havent been allowed out yet foir a few reasons but they will also have outdoor access in the day but will be kept in at night.

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 00:26:34 AM »
My ragdolls are all indoor.

Ragdolls don't have good road sense usually and its way too busy around here.

I think they would get stolen also.
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

ccmacey

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 00:24:45 AM »
I have not marked anything as 4 of my cats are confined to a garden and the other one does as he pleases.

So what would you call that then? lol

I would prefer all of my cats to be in the garden and go no further.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 00:17:29 AM »
indoor only for 2 reasons

1) teenagers shoot cats with pellet guns here
2) if I move to a city I wouldn't want him to roam free and I think it would be cruel to take a roaming kitty and then restrict them unless necessary
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 00:17:54 AM by Indys Mamma »

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 23:15:17 PM »
Dinah stays indoors 90% of the time, but she's a grand old lady now.  She had always had access to outdoors before we had her so we've carried on letting her out. We live in a quiet area away from busy roads and she only goes out when we're at home (and never at night). 

Usually she has 15 minute potters around the garden, and prefers it if we're with her. Now and then she disappears for about 45 mins for a "proper" explore.  She came back this evening covered in goose grass, slugs and sticky sap, looking really pleased with herself  :shocked:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 22:44:12 PM »
My Bonnie is an indoor cat but I sit in the back garden with her now and again.  Luckily she has not cried to go out - if she made a point of wanting to then I would as it would not be fair on her but as Smudge went missing and then found him dead I do not want to go through that heart ache again.  A friend of mine said when he has time he will make my back garden more secure and then I can let Bonnie sit out on her own whilst I get on with jobs in the house..

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline littlekitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 22:02:53 PM »
My two are free to go outside if they wish. Buddy is a roamer and a hunter and goes off to do his own thing. Mary doesn't really go to far, she usually goes into neighbours gardens but she is always close to home. Buddy will follow Mary around the estate to make sure that she is alright then he will chase her back home again.
Share your love, give a rescue cat a home.

xLYNNx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 21:06:33 PM »
I have one heinz and one ped - both are indoor cats.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 20:49:56 PM »
Catproofed garden

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 18:21:26 PM »
I would like to clarify that while mine are at large during the day, they are restricted to the indoors at night. I would never allow mine to roam the streets at night I am afraid.

Edited to add that regardless of whether pedigree or moggy, mine have at various times been indoor only, indoor with a cat run, outdoor access permanently or outdoor access during the day only. They are all precious, not just the pedigrees ...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 21:22:12 PM by blackcat »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 18:02:29 PM »

Just thought they were more at risk of being stolen I guess.

I would worry about that if they roamed out of the garden I think, but not in the garden - I'm tucked away in the corner of the cul de sac and no-one can actually see into the garden. The cats are usually tucked away from view amongst the shrubs waiting for the birdies to land anyway LOL!  :evillaugh:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 17:36:51 PM »
I know those with pedigrees are 99% of the time indoor cats but wondered about the Heinz variety cats like mine.   

My Persians all go outside - no reason for them not to. However they don't go out of the garden (well Jasper does go walkabout down next door neighbour's path and back and then wobbles along the fence, but thats as far as he goes). I do have a fenced area of the garden that can be closed off from the rest of the garden for overnight - but the rest of the time they all have the run of the garden. Harry, my ginge/white mog comes and goes as he pleases, wherever he pleases, always has done, George, my tabby mog prefers to stay close to home and never goes out of the garden, although he could if he wanted to, as could all of them in theory, most of them just choose not to.  ;D

Just thought they were more at risk of being stolen I guess.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 17:35:14 PM »
I know those with pedigrees are 99% of the time indoor cats but wondered about the Heinz variety cats like mine.   

My Persians all go outside - no reason for them not to. However they don't go out of the garden (well Jasper does go walkabout down next door neighbour's path and back and then wobbles along the fence, but thats as far as he goes). I do have a fenced area of the garden that can be closed off from the rest of the garden for overnight - but the rest of the time they all have the run of the garden. Harry, my ginge/white mog comes and goes as he pleases, wherever he pleases, always has done, George, my tabby mog prefers to stay close to home and never goes out of the garden, although he could if he wanted to, as could all of them in theory, most of them just choose not to.  ;D

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 17:30:54 PM »
Mine have unrestricted outdoor access but usually stay in or around the garden. I don't think it's fair to confine animals unless there's a good reason such as illness etc.

Dee
Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 17:21:05 PM »
Mine are indoor only - they were rescued from horrible flat and had never been outside. I am cat-proofing my balcony so they can have some outside time.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 17:01:51 PM »
Mine are inbetween those 2 voting options, they have restricted supervised outdoor access  :shy:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 16:47:27 PM »
Indoor only.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 16:40:56 PM »
Catproofed garden here - before I moved and had the garden catproofed they were indoor only. It's a cruel world we live in now and I couldn't bare to expose the boys to it, they seem very happy with their lot, cat proofing the garden has to be the best of both worlds  :)

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 16:15:00 PM »
All mine are indoor/outdoor but Ging and Grwndi are indoors most of the time by their own choice :)
Love me,love my animals.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 16:13:16 PM »
My boy is indoor only, primarily due to his FIV, but to be honest I would think twice about letting him free roam if he didn't have it, we have so many busy roads nearby.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 16:03:17 PM »
Where we are there is a huge peice of green belt at the back of ours so we are lucky in that respect.

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 16:01:26 PM »
i'm lucky to be in a resonable quiet area, there's not really busy roads for a good 5 mins walk, but we do get a good flow of dogs and strollers so theres plenty of people traffic to keep the area interesting.
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 15:56:39 PM »
I've three mogs and a ped and have a cat proofed garden - I lost by beautiful Algie to the road (2 years yesterday) and would never let them out free roaming again

Link to CatChat