Author Topic: Persian cat question....!  (Read 6122 times)

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
Re: Persian cat question....!
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2008, 23:53:59 PM »
Aaah he's looking great, still got his grouch face though  :rofl: hope your mum is feeling better soon, nasty things those type of infections. Give Oscar a stroke from me when you see him. I did have a soft spot for him when we had him. ;D :Luv2:

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2008, 22:45:38 PM »
He's doing really well and has mellowed a lot! I'm still a bit wary of him though! :evillaugh:

Mum has been rushed to hospital today with some bacterial infection - not Ecoli but something similar.  She's ok has been on a drip and should hopefully be home tomorrow.  Mum's fella Ian (Oscar's fave person!) is looking after him tonight so he'll be fine.

Oscar will be coming here for a couple of weeks for his hols because Mum is off to Greece.

Here's a nice piccie of him  :Luv:

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2008, 22:27:26 PM »
Mums persian Oscar was a completely horror with mine but eventually he accepted them - we think he was actually scared of them. 

Well we did call him Oscar the grouch Candice  :rofl: How is he doing? Sounds like he's doing well with your mum. For those wondering Oscar came from Gateshead CP and was adopted by Candice's mum  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 16:01:57 PM »
oooh, its sealpoint I love then!!  at least I know now, I shall print those out and keep them thank you!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 15:59:45 PM »
Gillian I get confused with the colours if seal point is the dark face what is choclite point or are they the same or did I make it up??

sealpoint is much darker than choclitpoint (choclitpoint is more like milk choclit). Choclitpoints also have pink paw pads - however just to confuse the issue, so do some sealpoints who have choclit in their lines! Then of course you have seal tabby points and choclit tabby points etc.......

Sealpoint:

Cholitpoint

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2008, 15:49:03 PM »
Gillian I get confused with the colours if seal point is the dark face what is choclite point or are they the same or did I make it up??

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 13:14:27 PM »
awww they pics are fab Gillian!  :Luv2:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 13:04:13 PM »
Had to google to find out how to unblock - I can see 3 on the stool and one under?

Slightly different shot here, where Lucy had moved round - now can you see four in the bed (plus one under)?

Yep  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 12:52:43 PM »
The Persian attempts to groom the kitten who uses paws to fend her off, so the cat tries to pin her down and lick her  :rofl: The kitten is well capable of standing up for herself and may well end up being in charge of my laid back Persian

And  :rofl: Giillian poor Harry looks like he is being squashed by all that Persian fluff  :Luv2:

LOL! Persians love to groom other cats don't they?

Harry was a bit squashed by the persians - didnt seem to bother him though.

Just snapped the terrible trio last night - usually they wait till I get into bed, but they'd all got themselves arranged before that, and this is the sight that greeted me  :evillaugh: Harry, Lucy and Sam again (Gypsy would have been there like she was in the other pic  :( - there in spirit I hope)

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 00:46:31 AM »
A moggy kitten recently joined my 20 month old persian, I took intros carefully but it's now been five weeks and I caught them sleeping together for the first time today  :Luv: The Persian attempts to groom the kitten who uses paws to fend her off, so the cat tries to pin her down and lick her  :rofl: The kitten is well capable of standing up for herself and may well end up being in charge of my laid back Persian

And  :rofl: Giillian poor Harry looks like he is being squashed by all that Persian fluff  :Luv2:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 23:24:44 PM »
Yes, you are right there -i think Winston is a bit scared of other cats particularly males - thats why i think he goes after them first !
He can be mischievous too and very playful -.
Unfortunately , i have a feeling the last owners little kids used to tease him and if he got carried away i think they used to smack him on his back - when i first got him he hated his back being touched and used to nip me - i used to say to him -thats not nice and he used to look at me and then stop - he knows now i would never in a million years ever shout at him , let alone smack him .
All in all he didn''t have the best loving home from the start.

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 23:11:25 PM »
Solly - my red - is extremely loving with other cats so I don't think thats the reason for Winston being feisty! ;)  Apparently reds have a reputation for being mischievious - which Sol definitely is!! :tired:

I think it depends on the cat and what they have been used to - that being said persians 'tend' to be laid back but there are always exceptions.  Mums persian Oscar was a completely horror with mine but eventually he accepted them - we think he was actually scared of them.  It took weeks of me travelling for an hour to spend alternate weekends at Mums.  We had a huge dog cage in the living room and Oscar would go in for an hour with my lot free roaming and then a couple of hours out with my lot upstairs.  Foofoo used to tease him though when he was in the cage and walk reaaallyy slowly crouched down passed it giving him dirty looks! :-:  Madam!

When I took Shah to his new foster home I called in at Mums first because she wanted to see him. Oscar bounded up to him and gave him a good nose sniff!!!! :evillaugh: I wouldn't say he loves my lot now but he definitely tolerates them. :)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 22:52:23 PM »
Well there is always one to differ !!
I have a Persian called Winston (2nd in longhair purrs show  :Luv2: ;D )
He is not over keen on other cats really -he does get on fine with mine now - but when i went to pick him up -the owner said he was fine with other cats , the little boy said "no he isn''t , he beats them all up !!"
To start off -he did !- Not mine fortunately - but any that came within 200 yards of the house or garden and he was off , down the street and chasing them , if it ended in a fight -so be it !
I was the one then , running down the street after him and seperating him ! That was when he was 4 years old.
Now he is  10 years old , a lot quieter and if one comes within 50 yards , he just stands and stares at it -thats usually enough to send the other cat home .
Is it because he is red /Ginger ? Temper ?
With me , he is really loving and affectionate.
Bungle came after him , and all he ever did was a few spits at her -so i decided he would maybe accept another cat /persian -but only a female .

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 22:23:32 PM »
Aww, I like that second one better - all 3 of them snuggling round Harry  :Luv:  This pic should be emailed to the lady that was asking in the first place  :)

You took the words outta my mouth Helen  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 22:16:52 PM »
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww  :Luv2:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 20:21:34 PM »
Moggy not stupid - persians very warm!  :Luv:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 20:05:23 PM »
Aww, I like that second one better - all 3 of them snuggling round Harry  :Luv:  This pic should be emailed to the lady that was asking in the first place  :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 20:01:48 PM »
:Crazy: how on earth is that comfortable!!  :Luv2:

LOL! - I like the way Sam (on right) has got his chin resting on Harry's head  :evillaugh:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 19:58:19 PM »
 :Crazy: how on earth is that comfortable!!  :Luv2:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 19:55:32 PM »
Had to google to find out how to unblock - I can see 3 on the stool and one under?

Slightly different shot here, where Lucy had moved round - now can you see four in the bed (plus one under)?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 19:39:02 PM »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 19:21:12 PM »
Maybe you should have gone to specsavers Mark  :see:  :evillaugh:  First of all I saw two, then spotted the third but still can't see four!

Sam on the right looks as though he has a big long body, when in fact, part of it is Lucy in de middle (who very similar colour to Sammy!)

There is no picture at all  :Crazy:

reckon you have blocked all pics somehow then Mark! I didnt even know you could block 'em.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 18:47:30 PM »
The other day, I was messing about with the computer and blocked an image Ruth(Bazsmum) put up - maybe I have blocked all photobucket pics? - I don't know how to unblock  :scared:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 18:40:59 PM »
Maybe you should have gone to specsavers Mark  :see:  :evillaugh:  First of all I saw two, then spotted the third but still can't see four!

There is no picture at all  :Crazy:

If Caroline's are anything to go by, they are big purballs - I have to say her Winston won me over - I wonder how many persians are calle Winston?  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 18:42:39 PM by Mark »

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 18:26:52 PM »
Yep - they tend to love all puddy cats! :)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 17:00:09 PM »
Obviously you'll get the odd exception but in my experience, there isn't a cat who loves friends more than a persian. They adore company-human or feline.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 16:56:27 PM »
Yes its photobucket and lovely picture  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 16:55:55 PM »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 16:51:21 PM »
I can't see any - there is no photo  :Crazy: - is it photobucket?  :Crazy:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 16:44:46 PM »
44444444444444444444444! I can see two or maybe 3 LOL

Ginge Harry at the front, Gypsy on left, Sam on right, Lucy (with back to us!) int middle!  ;)

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 16:35:33 PM »
We had persians and Moggies with no problems at all - I would say that Persians are probably the most laid back and chilled breed I have had the pleasure to be owned by.  My Persians are all bridge babies now  :(
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 16:30:42 PM »
I knew Gillian would know the answr and also have a picture for the occasion  ;D

44444444444444444444444! I can see two or maybe 3 LOL

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 15:34:49 PM »
Can persians and moggies mix well? What is the general temperament of a persian and are they better to be introduced to other persians? Any advice would be greatly appriciated so that I can direct the lady in the right way!

I've got persians and moggies. They get on fine together (well with the odd clash of personaility between two boys LOL!). My ginge moggie Harry always sleeps on my bed at night with a  couple of persians draped round him!  My persians all seem to love being close to another (or several) cats, moggie or another persian, doesnt really matter much to them.

Here is Harry squished up with 3 persians - yes there are 4 cats in that bed LOL!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 14:32:44 PM »
I think generally they are supposed to be very laid back

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
Persian cat question....!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 14:31:52 PM »
Hello! I'm don't know a huge amount about persians and we don't really see that many in our rescue so i'm hoping that someone might be able to help  :thanks:

I've just had a lady who has a 1 year old female persian who is a house cat. Her partner has recently changed jobs which means that the cat is now on her own for most of the day. She has cat trees and often spends time lounging around, but the caller is wondering whether the introduction of another cat would be good for her.

Can persians and moggies mix well? What is the general temperament of a persian and are they better to be introduced to other persians? Any advice would be greatly appriciated so that I can direct the lady in the right way!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Link to CatChat