Author Topic: Raw Feeding  (Read 6012 times)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: Raw Feeding
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 18:26:05 PM »
Don't worry Dawn, lots of vets go on about salmonella and most of them are aginst raw feeding, apart from the holistic vets , but its not a problem in cats (as it would be for us) Cats have highly acidic gut which deals with any nasties, and a fast transit time, they are, after all, designed to eat raw meat. I know owners who have been feeding raw diet for 10 yrs or more, with never a problem.

This is from catinfo.org (written by a vet): http://catinfo.org/ (perhaps Sean would be interested in reading about it  :evillaugh: )

:rofl:  I'll suss what mood Sean is in tomorrow before emailing it to him, I know the last time I sent him something to read, his response was a I was cheeky princess  :evillaugh:  :evillaugh: 

I did think that with the gut as I've heard of that before but did also read last night that cats can get Salmonella from Raw Feeding so it put me off a little bit  :shy:  As soon as I get chance, I'll have a proper read and weigh up the pros and cons, I will then mention it again to Sean and see what he thinks.  I know it's my decision at the end of the day but he has to sort her if she gets ill, so he would see his  :censored: if I went ahead against his advice and something happened  :tired:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 18:28:22 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 18:15:26 PM »
I had a chat with Sean the other day about the raw feeding and he wasn't really keen on the idea.  Issues were mainly to do with Salmonella and if Becky got this, she probably wouldn't survive.  I did find as well when I fed them on it the other night, Becky got totally bunged up, so much so I had to take her to the vets as her tummy was so swollen  :shy:  I'm still not sure what to do  :scared: 

Don't worry Dawn, lots of vets go on about salmonella and most of them are aginst raw feeding, apart from the holistic vets , but its not a problem in cats (as it would be for us) Cats have highly acidic gut which deals with any nasties, and a fast transit time, they are, after all, designed to eat raw meat. I know owners who have been feeding raw diet for 10 yrs or more, with never a problem.

This is from catinfo.org (written by a vet): http://catinfo.org/ (perhaps Sean would be interested in reading about it  :evillaugh: )
 Cats are very different from humans with respect to their susceptibility to ‘food poisoning’. Cats have a much shorter transit time through their intestinal tract than humans do (about 12 hours, or less, for the cat versus 35-55 hours for the human).  This is a very important point because the more time bacteria spend in the intestines, the more they multiply, eventually leading to intestinal upset. 

A properly handled and prepared raw meat diet has much less bacteria in it than many commercial dry foods.  Commercial pet foods may also contain high levels of mold toxins from grains which are never a danger in a grainless raw meat diet.

Constipation can be a problem with any food and can be if you are transitioning to a raw diet - so its probably better to start with a raw diet thats made complete with the addition of the Instincts supplement I posted about before, which contains all the things needed to make it balanced. http://www.felinefuture.com/

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 17:51:02 PM »
I had a chat with Sean the other day about the raw feeding and he wasn't really keen on the idea.  Issues were mainly to do with Salmonella and if Becky got this, she probably wouldn't survive.  I did find as well when I fed them on it the other night, Becky got totally bunged up, so much so I had to take her to the vets as her tummy was so swollen  :shy:  I'm still not sure what to do  :scared:  They do absolutely love the raw but Becky is such a little gannet and if I did decide to feed them on it, is she going to be constipated all the time  :sneaky:  I'm going to have a good read up when I get time as I can see Sean's point of view but I would have thought natural meat would have been so much better than the tinned but if she got ill, I would never forgive myself and he would probably go ape at me  :scared:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 18:44:19 PM »
but if your using it to hopefully cure a health prob then imo you need to exclude all processed toot from the diet completely.

Ideally if I can get them on the raw, I will be cutting out the tinned food and they will just have the raw and RC dried in the hope that this makes a difference.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 16:23:56 PM »
Ive never had any problems feeding raw and dry however appreciate like everything there will be varying views on the subject

Yep  :evillaugh: If your feeding it for a varied diet like i do then no probs mixing, but if your using it to hopefully cure a health prob then imo you need to exclude all processed toot from the diet completely.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 14:45:28 PM »
Sounds good to me, I've been having a look at the recommended wet food brands on the other thread. Didn't realise Whiskas was so low in meat, that and felix is what mum has always fed our cats!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 13:33:16 PM »
My girls are on RC dry at the shelter. Our cats have always been fed wet and an occaisional bit of raw mince as a treat. I know that I can't switch them immediately onto wet or raw and it has to be gradual, but if I am going to change their diet, would it be better to go for wet or raw?

I would change from dry to wet, then from wet to raw, all very gradually as you say. Thats how I did it with mine, it seemed to work.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 10:28:14 AM »
My girls are on RC dry at the shelter. Our cats have always been fed wet and an occaisional bit of raw mince as a treat. I know that I can't switch them immediately onto wet or raw and it has to be gradual, but if I am going to change their diet, would it be better to go for wet or raw?

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 18:01:00 PM »
Thanks for that Linda, I was a little worried reading Des's comment about not feeding both but I'm sure you'd be the one to know anyway  :hug: 

Hi Dawn
Should def help with poor Beckys sensitive skin problem and what would be ideal (but difficult i know) is to put her on the sensitive skin equivalent dried.  My wee moggie girl has v sensitive skin and does very well on this.

:hug:

Is this the RC food Linda? 

Yes Dawn its RC  :)

Ive never had any problems feeding raw and dry however appreciate like everything there will be varying views on the subject  ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 17:57:28 PM »
Yeah, so far the only thing I have read is 4 hours between raw and wet and 8 hours between raw and dry.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 16:50:12 PM »
I dont think you would get the benefits of raw when giving dry as well. Its the grain, colourants and other chemicals in dry food that are often the problem. BHT BHA Ethoxyquin etc

http://www.aplus-flint-river-ranch.com/define-ethoxyquin.php

http://catinfo.org/

http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php

The raw feeders I know on the US forum say not to feed raw and dry due to the digestion issues of both. I Can't find any posts to check though.

I read similar but it said at the same sitting as they take different times to digest  :-:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 16:12:20 PM »
Thanks for that Linda, I was a little worried reading Des's comment about not feeding both but I'm sure you'd be the one to know anyway  :hug: 

Hi Dawn
Should def help with poor Beckys sensitive skin problem and what would be ideal (but difficult i know) is to put her on the sensitive skin equivalent dried.  My wee moggie girl has v sensitive skin and does very well on this.

Is this the RC food Linda? 

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 13:57:31 PM »
Hi Dawn

I feed the benglies part raw diet here - Prize Choice chicken mince goes down particularly well.  We try to avoid using the supermarket mince and meat as some does already have additives in it which is not good for cats (I didnt realise this until my vet pointed it out).  We also feed raw chicken wings which are good for teeth.  The pets frozen meat equivalent is also cheaper than the supermarket products whilst generally being much better for cats.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 10:34:48 AM »
The raw feeders I know on the US forum say not to feed raw and dry due to the digestion issues of both. I Can't find any posts to check though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 00:35:47 AM »
(less smell too!)

Decision made, she'll be getting fed raw, for a little cat she has the smelliest poops   :sick:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 00:30:47 AM »
The raw may also help with her anal glands as these are always full when she goes to the vets  :tired: 

It may well - as raw fed cats produce smaller, firmer poops  :evillaugh: (less smell too!)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 00:24:52 AM »
It may be a bit of a nightmare keeping her separate as I leave the dried down 24/7 and whenever food is put down, she's there like a little rocket  :sneaky:  What I will try and do is try and keep her topped up with the raw, she growls that much none of the others will go near the dish when she's eating  :evillaugh:  The raw may also help with her anal glands as these are always full when she goes to the vets  :tired:  The RC they are on is the Sensible 33 which is supposedly for sensitive tums but Sean said it may not suit her but I don't really want to be changing the whole feeding regime again as I specifically got that food because Billy has a sensitive tum  :tired:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 00:19:52 AM »
Would the Royal Canin make up for what's lacking in the raw meat? 

Yes I think it would, because the RC is complete. Mind you, in Becky's case, I'd probably think about trying a total raw diet, rather than feeding both dry and raw.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 00:07:44 AM »
Personally I don't think AMP's products are high enough in bone/calcium for cats - the minced products have bone content, but its hard to know exactly how much.

Would the Royal Canin make up for what's lacking in the raw meat?  I'm thinking more of expense really with having so many to feed and it's already costing about £80 weekly and I could always get the supplement as well   :shy:  Anglia was the name of the firm she said she deals with and they also deliver.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 00:08:34 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 00:01:29 AM »
Pets at home sell natures menu raw (frozen), but mine weren't too keen on it as it's a bit mushy when defrosted.  you're probably better off giving raw meat with the feline instincts supplements that Gillian has mentioned.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 23:52:02 PM »
I know we've probably got many threads on this but haven't really got time to look  :shy:  With Becky's skin problems, I'm playing with the idea of Raw Feeding  :sick:    Because I really couldn't face chopping up raw meat myself, I was wondering if there anywhere that would sell it all ready done? 

There isnt really a ready prepared complete raw diet for cats. Anglian Meat Products do the frozen packs of mince/chunks (mine didnt like their frozen mince much, its kinda mushy once its defrosted!) http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/ - but anyway, sounds like your cats were impressed LOL! Personally I don't think AMP's products are high enough in bone/calcium for cats - the minced products have bone content, but its hard to know exactly how much.

Anyway you could just as easily buy raw mince or ready diced meat at the supermarket and add a supplement to make it complete, such as http://www.felinefuture.com/ which you can get from here http://www.realpetfood.co.uk/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/ . So if you bought already diced meat and added the supplement you wouldnt have to handle/chop anything.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 23:44:09 PM »
The "breeder" phoned earlier and I mentioned it to her and she gives her raw beef now and again and she said one will only eat raw tripe  :sick:  but she said she's sure it does say on the packet for working dogs and cats, I've never seen the frozen stuff directed at cats though so I'm not sure.  Mine will still be getting the Royal Canin so they won't solely be on the raw.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 23:39:22 PM »
I am sure I read someone fed mince as part of the raw stuff.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Raw Feeding
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 23:35:45 PM »
I know we've probably got many threads on this but haven't really got time to look  :shy:  With Becky's skin problems, I'm playing with the idea of Raw Feeding  :sick:    Because I really couldn't face chopping up raw meat myself, I was wondering if there anywhere that would sell it all ready done?  I've seen some of the frozen stuff in pet shops but it's always aimed at working dogs so not sure if there's anything different in it.  I got Zak some of the Bambers frozen chicken the other day and I'd left it on the side defrosting, when I went to get it, half of it had gone as the cats were munching on it so I know they would probably love the raw way of feeding  :sick:

Link to CatChat