Author Topic: dont know how to start this but need to rehome  (Read 18214 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: dont know how to start this but need to rehome
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 17:42:30 PM »
Shabba needs more time and lengthy introductions poor boy  :'( :'(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 17:26:29 PM »
Morrisons myself, but then I dont look in the doormat section (partly cos I didn't know there was one!!).

I hate going in there as to get round the shop you have to go past the fish counter and it absolutely stinks, and makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach.

You would hate Whitstable - I'm the same, walking through the fish market in the harbour makes me  :sick:
I see people eating all kinds of muck with tentacles etc  :sick: but I wait and have a baguette  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 17:26:55 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 10:46:25 AM »
Morrisons myself, but then I dont look in the doormat section (partly cos I didn't know there was one!!).

And I only go in to get the clear mat stuff.  I hate going in there as to get round the shop you have to go past the fish counter and it absolutely stinks, and makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach.

I would also agree that 11 days is really not long enough. Given time and patience these things usually work out. But really you do need a separate room/dog pen  initially so the incoming pet starts to smell like the pets already in the household and the new pet is acquainted with the smell of the household pets. If this cannot be done then  perhaps another home would be in Shebba's interest. Very recently I re-homed a very nervous cat (Lucy) who had lived almost 24/7 up a tree for months. and was  the   hissing  Queen when I took her in. The new home has cats and a dog, but Jenny put Lucy in a room for a couple of weeks then gradually introduced Lucy to the rest of the household. It took a few weeks but now is all sweetness and light.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:14:20 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 10:04:08 AM »
Alison, I do understand your concerns. But to be fair, Shabba hasn't had that long to settle. Is there no room you could "re-jig" a little to fit a dog cage in, just for a week or so?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 08:12:43 AM »
Shabba had started being left outside by the time Alison said she wanted to rehome him. The chances are this poor guy is wondering what the heck is going on and is rebelling. We were told he hadn't been dog tested so he's gone to a strange house with 2 dogs - he's probably petrified and is lashing out - I don't know the answer to the this problem but as Des said we're on backup - its a case of trying to find somewhere suitable for both Shabba and those who will be living with him - I have a toddler - which rules me out and Des is looking into trying to juggle her current 4 cats in such a way that Shabba might be able to be isolated - we're trying every route possible for him.
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 08:05:39 AM »
He was too playful, and they were concerned for the baby on the way - did try and tell them that he would probably avoid the baby initially, but they werent having it.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »
I think shabba deserves more than 11 days thats for sure.

Out of interest why were the previous owners rehoming him ?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 07:32:05 AM »
Lynn, it was actually a private adoption, we only advertised him on our website. Some of the things in Alisons original post weren't mentioned to us - when we asked his original owners about dogs, we were told he had never been in contact with them, and that they couldn't guarantee what he was like with them. Also, Alison said it was the dog attacking the cat and not the other way round. I have come up with various suggestions for her, as I feel that 11 days (as it was when she first contacted us) wasn't sufficient time for them to all settle in, and also that they were introduced too soon - her dogs might be cat tested, but we knew that the cat wasn't dog tested, and a lot of the suggestions have been covered on here as well. We have told her to contact the original owner in the first instance, and if not, we will see what we can do.
The clear stuff that Ela mentions can be bought from Wilkinsons Alison, but i dont know if you have one in Shaw, there is one in Rochdale, but am sure there must be other places in the area that will sell it, haven't seen it in Morrisons myself, but then I dont look in the doormat section (partly cos I didn't know there was one!!).
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 00:07:36 AM »
I have to agree with what the others are saying and 2 weeks is nowhere near long enough for some introductions.  In this situation I would use a folding dog pen, I know you said you haven't the room but I'm sure you'd be able to squeeze one in somewhere.  It won't be forever and it may be a way of preventing poor Shabba of having to go through all the trauma of being rehomed again.

When a kitty is frightened, they react in all different ways.  I rehomed a couple of feral babes a few weeks ago, they were only kittens and I'd got them to the stage where I could cuddle and stroke them.  I rehomed them and after a couple of days, rather than getting better, one of the kittens turned into Satan.  I went over and even I couldn't get near him, he was hissing, spitting and growling at me.  Eventually I got him in a carrier and whizzed him off to the vets thinking he had something wrong........he was petrified and this was why he was reacting like he was.  Basically he needed more time, the people were too scared of him to have him back which I could totally understand.......even I was scared of him.  I got him home and he was fine again  :Crazy:  Shabba will settle down but he needs some tlc and time......this is the only way you will get results. 

Another thing that would be worth doing is contacting Wizz on wizz@briggs8888.fsnet.co.uk  She is a cat behaviourist, and has the patience of a Saint and is a lovely person.......explain in full the problems you are having and leave her a contact number, she usually contacts peeps very quick.  Have a chat with her and see what she says, good luck.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 23:46:17 PM »
Willow was like that for 3 years being in the same space with Kylie. She used to attack me all the time when kylie was close. Now she is upstairs in the kitchen, she is a different cat. She is no longer aggressive. Her ears were permanently forward but now they are normal. Even though Kylie does wander up there once in a while, willow knows it's her area. I think it's only fair to try every avenue as it will be more upsetting for Shabba to be rehomed again.

If he really has to go, I would go more along the lines

Nervous cat, not used to other animals and children. Would need to be only animal. Suit older people with the time and patience to give him the comfort and reassurance he needs.

Poor Shabba
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 22:27:07 PM »
poor shabba.

He must be very traumatised i think by the sounds of things.  I'm not sure if your ad for rehoming is going to win any potential new homes for him though..you got him from a rehoming rescue didnt you ?? im sure i remember first seeing him in a thread and his piccy was in a rescue gallary, surely they will be taking him back ?

shabba sneaks in her room and goes on her bed and on monday he woke her up twice scratchin her arms
In all my years with cats (erm most of my life) ive never heard of a cat purposely going to a sleeping person and attack them by scratching, is beth sure he wasnt reaching out / stretching you know like they do on a scratch post rather than actually attacking her ?? also i know cody is fab with the kids but he has his limits and if he has had enough of being lifted etc he lets them know about it (by biting or a warning "snap" on their faces..altho he's never bitten properly this is what he does instead of scratching..he has never been chastised as he only does it when he's had enough or doesnt appreciate their faces on his level)

I'm not sure if 2 wks is a fair length of time to have tried various things, and sometimes animals shouldnt even be in contact with the other animals in 2 weeks, often it takes longer with them being in separate rooms to get used to each others smells with small visits to each other building up when the "novelty" wears off.  My dogs would never touch a cat but they were still bounding around like tigger after 2 wks of cody being home coz he was a new thing in the house.

what has the rescue centre you got him from said to you ?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 21:58:47 PM »
he goes mad at door and scratches at carpet

You could try that see through plastic  stuff. you know about 2' wide, It is about £2,99 for a few feet. It is usually by the door mats in Morrisons. It works wonders to protect carpets. I also have it in front of litter trays.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline alison67

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 21:32:40 PM »
 :Crazy: no havent got one but even if i borrowed one there wouldnt be any room for one

A greyhound is for life not just for racing

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 21:30:54 PM »
have you got a dog pen or can you borrow one to put him in?
Cover half with a blanket, put his bed, food , water and litter tray in it. That way he can be with you all but feel safe.

Offline alison67

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 21:26:07 PM »
we cant lock him in any room angie as he goes mad at door and scratches at carpet

its not fair on the dogs either because they not normally locked in  :-[

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 21:16:54 PM »
Start the introductions again. Put him somewhere on his own for 48 hours and then begin the introductions gradually.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 21:06:14 PM »
Sorry to hear Shabba isn't happy.  Sounds to me like he probably isn't that happy around dogs and his fear is resulting in the aggression.  He is probably lashing out at you as you will "smell" like the dog (please don't take that the wrong way Alison) of course I'm only guessing this is the reason because last week I went round to visit  my friend who has a large soppy German Shepherd dog who I sat stoking for several hours .... when I walked in the house Zephyr greeted me as usual then gave a good sniff and hissed at me!!!!!! I immediatley knew I smelt of DOG!!!

I'm not sure what to suggest to do next with regards to Shabba but hopefully someone with more experience of this sort of thing will be able to advise.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 20:56:54 PM »
Alison I'm sorry to hear that Shabba is not fitting in with your family.

For now I would try to keep him away where he has a safe place that is just his so that he can get comfortable and feel like he has his own place. Something must have triggered his aggression so may be worth looking into that.

You may also want to consider taking him to the vet because if he's striking out at you all the time it may be worth finding out if he has any kind of injury etc.

I am pretty useless at this type of advice and hope others on here can give you advice on what to do.  The above are just some things that come to mind. Lexy lashes out at me if she is touched and doesn't want to be touched. Its taken her a long time to get completely comfortable.

Good luck.

Offline alison67

• Adult Cat
dont know how to start this but need to rehome
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 20:45:38 PM »
as some of you may be aware we rehomed shabba 2 weeks ago from a private house

we was told he was very friendly and when we went to visit him we mentioned we had 2 dogs and had he ever had contct with them
we was told owners in laws had dogs and when they visited he never bothered with them
he also told us that he had phoned 4 other rescues and they couldnt help him but if he told them how he was maybe they thought he would be to hard to rehome so changed his story :scared:

anyway we brought him home and let him settle for 48 hours before introducing cat to dogs
they are cat friendly so i knew there would be no confrontation from them..
also had feliway plug in
he was ok with us at first because he was upstair all the time and we stroked him as we walked past him
now for the past 5 days all he is doin is attacking the dogs and 1 of them is attcking him and that is so out of character
mine and bethanys arms look as if we self harm as they are full of scratches...
i only put my nightie away yesterday and he attacked my hand :censored:
had to have today off work as last night there was a bad do with him and dog

i think that i was misled by the previous owners on his temperment

now we are having to look for another home for him and this is how i think i should describe him
he is 2 years old, neutured, NOT to go with children under 12, Not a lap cat, and would say not dog friendly, not sure how he would get on with other cats

am desperate now to rehome him because of all the confrontation with dogs and bethany

edited to add since last monday bethany as had sleep in our bed coz shabba sneaks in her room and goes on her bed and on monday he woke her up twice scratchin her arms
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 21:23:40 PM by alison67 »

Link to CatChat