Author Topic: 2 FIV Kittens  (Read 2367 times)

Offline alexgirl73

• Adult Cat
Re: 2 FIV Kittens
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 19:40:58 PM »
Hi guys ( :hi: Dawn). The plan is to get the kittens retested at 16 weeks. Mum is definitely FIV, but hopefully the babies will be ok in the end up. I should hopefully be able to post a pic of them later, our new website should be up and running tonight ;D

Thanks mojo!
A home without a cat is just a house!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 19:10:19 PM »
The kittens need to be retested at a later date as they might just have proved positive for the anti-bodies.
Although Bristol have a test that can be used at 9wks that tests for the actual virus and not just the anti-bodies

Shame the person who took Mum wouldnt take these 2 too though xxx

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 13:49:58 PM »
I would have to agree that re-testing when they are older would have to be the way to go.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 10:41:58 AM »
Our branch of CP have over the years had a number of kittens like this, we keep them until they are 5-6 months old then have them tested. Many have tested FIV neg.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 10:43:23 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 09:37:25 AM »
Have to agree with Dawn, hunny.  :hug: :hug: They're too young for such a firm diagnosis. Even though we're all packed with homeless furbabes, I'd be hanging onto these two for a while and get them retested when they're older. Because if you do have to put the FIV tag on them, they've got to live with it for all their lives. Best be sure, I would say.  :sneaky:

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 09:36:34 AM »
Hi Alex! A rescue local to me at last! Unfortunately I cannot take these two (I already have two FIV kitties)

Mine were from a fosterer who lives in telford. You probably know her. Just thought I would say keep up the great work you guys do!

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 09:30:03 AM »
Fingers crossed that when they are old enough to be retested, they are negative. Kittens of that colour would be snapped up very quickly here, ginger is a popular colour.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 23:50:53 PM »
Hi Alex hun, hope all is well with you  :hug:  The kittens may not necessarily be FIV.   If the mum tested positive for the virus, she will pass the antibodies to her kittens via the blood but not FIV.   Kittens born to an FIV positive mum will show positive on a test without having the virus.   Here's an article that is pretty informative and will explain in better detail  :hug:

http://www.v63.net/catsanctuary/fiv_kittens.html

Offline alexgirl73

• Adult Cat
2 FIV Kittens
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 22:47:52 PM »
Hi. I'm with CP Telford. We had a mum and 2 kittens brought into us a few weeks ago who are FIV positive. We have managed to find a home for mum, but the two little boys will be needing a home very soon. They are approx 9 weeks old, but will be ready to go in about 3 weeks or so, once they have been neutered, vaccd, microchipped etc. Preferably to be rehomed together. They are very cute, ginger and ginger/white. Does anyone know of someone willing to take on these 2 little boys?
A home without a cat is just a house!

Link to CatChat