Author Topic: A cruelty question (dog not cat!)  (Read 5889 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: A cruelty question (dog not cat!)
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 13:15:19 PM »
... and a bully to boot - what a nice man ...

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 13:11:52 PM »
Very true - the alleged comment about Minnie isn't what really worries me, it's what I see and hear myself being nextdoor ...

ccmacey

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 13:06:39 PM »
I think just believe what your ears hear, maybe he didnt say this (or maybe he did), I'd just trust your own feelings about this.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 13:03:27 PM »
You could well be right about the aspergers - he is definitely truly unaware of what he's doing to that dog .. the last time my OH mentioned the barking to him, he apparently raised his eyebrows and said, "So you're saying you hear the dog barking a lot?  Really?  Could you give me examples of when you find it particularly bad?" Alarm bells also rang for me when one of my neighbours told me she'd been discussing Minnie with him (my cat who lived with the previous owner of his house and was left behind when he emigrated) - apparently he said he could understand why someone would emigrate and leave a cat behind, and that surely Minnie would be fine eating out of bins.  That's not an animal lover talking, is it? :shify:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 12:36:56 PM »
seriously socially inept by the sound of it which could be why he is also unaware of, or unconscious of the other issues, perhaps a bit of aspergers ..., not able to 'engage' with other people?? anyway, enough of the psychoanalysis, the dog needs to be removed from his care as it has the capacity to become a menace to society. So yes, call the RSPCA

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 12:33:36 PM »
Thanks for all your replies, which really are helpful.  The last thing I want is to look like a spiteful neighbour who wants the dog taken away because of the noise, but if it was just the noise, I would talk to the local env health dept rather than the RSPCA.  Blackcat, in answer to your question, I don't believe he has any sort of disability (although who knows?), he's just "odd" as in being rather socially inept.  For example, when he first moved in, he informed me on his very first day that his dog was aggressive and that I'd be better keeping all my cats indoors from now on, and seemed genuinely surprised that I didn't take kindly to being told what to do!!  He now doesn't speak to me at all and told another neighbour he finds it difficult to talk to "young women" and that he finds me "intimidating"!!!  He does hold down a full-time job, but I don't think he'd have the money for a dog walking service as he's a housing association shared ownership scheme member and has a D-reg banger, and has garden furniture instead of a sofa, so I get the impression money is tight!
Your point about the conditions inside the house is a good one - as a cat owner with a litter tray, it hadn't occurred to me, stupidly!! Let's just say the smell of the back garden isn't too appealing so the inside is probably bogging ... no wonder the man is single.
Yep, I think my mind is made up.  All of us in the street are worried that the dog will attack someone and will be destroyed, and it would be devastating as it is a beautiful dog that has fallen into the wrong owner's hands through no fault of its own.  She is only about 2 years old so surely there's still hope for her in the right home.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 11:19:28 AM »
Does anyone else think I should make an approach to the RSPCA?

If I were in your position I would most certainly have a word with the RSPCA.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 10:44:01 AM »
Very frustrating a neighbours dog barking all the time!

I think the reason he may not want to let her go is because he has no other company, you know what single men are like.

I do believe a dog can be trained no matter the age but he obviously does not want to do that. Maybe the dog would be better off with someone who has time for it.

As for the RSPCA- I cant say much about that.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 10:42:19 AM »
When you say he is a bit 'odd' and that he has just left home aged 50 - is there a chance he may be intellectually disabled? It is defo cruelty for a working dog not to have a good solid hour or two a day of vigourous activity. It should include frisbee at the park and all sorts of things. Similarly when he is at work the dog should be outside - i dread to think what condition the inside is like. Does he look like he would have the sort of money that could pay for dog-walking. Mine costs £10 for an hour's walk so it would add up quite rapidly if it was a daily service (I only use mine when I know I will be home late as it also means Shadow can be shut in the house once it is done).

Also, if the dog is attacking his owner there is a real risk of serious injury there. The man seems to lack the intellectual capability to understand the needs of his dog and its requirements for training, exercise and regular care. If the RSPCA were to go around and explain these things to him and if he was still not complying then I would be seriously concerned.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
A cruelty question (dog not cat!)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 10:32:36 AM »
Sorry that this is related to a dog rather than cats, but as all you lot are fellow animal lovers, I'm hoping to get some excellent advice!  ;)

My dilemma is about my nextdoor neighbour's dog.  He moved in back in May, with a large female border collie.  The guy is, to say the least, a bit odd - he's about 50 and has only just moved out of his mum's, and doesn't seem to be able to handle simple tasks like doing his washing, let alone looking after a dog.  Ever since the day he moved in, the dog has been out of control.  He is out at work for around 10 hours a day, and on the days I have been at home during the week, I would estimate that I've heard the dog literally howling from inside the house for a least 8 hours a day.  At night, he comes home and puts her straight out into the back garden, which is about 10ft x 10ft, and she howls out there until around midnight, and tries to jump the fence at any car or person that goes past.

One of my other neighbours is a major dog lover and has spoken to him already about her concerns that he never seems to walk the dog, and he replied that he thinks once or twice a week is enough as he's busy working, and that the dog "doesn't really fit into my lifestyle so I know I can't spend enough time with her and that's why she barks all the time."  Another neighbour approached him about the fact that the dog had tried to leap over the fence at her small daughter, and he said, "You have to understand she's a rescue dog and I can't do anything with her."  I have also been told that the dog recently attacked the owner himself, and he was seen out with her in the park with a row of stitches in his arm, running away whenever the dog went near him!

Several peole in the street have gently suggested that the dog may be happier with someone who can train her properly and spend more time with her, but he just doesn't seem to accept there's a problem.  Does anyone else think I should make an approach to the RSPCA?  I have genuine concerns about the dog's welfare, which have now well surpassed my initial frustrations about the barking.

Link to CatChat