Author Topic: Letting My Cat Out  (Read 2879 times)

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Buddy & Daisy
Re: Letting My Cat Out
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 21:01:30 PM »
He's gorgeous, glad everything went ok with letting him out  :Luv:
Always in my heart RIP Jet, Cleo, Poppy, Oscar & Sydney x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2007, 18:07:46 PM »
Thats good to hear he hasnt gone again, you must be the purrfect slave for him  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2007, 17:53:28 PM »
Ooooooooooooooo I  :Luv: him  ;D

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2007, 17:45:19 PM »
He is beautiful - I love the white moustache!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 17:36:42 PM »
Good news indeed - and what a handsome cat Blue is!  I would say that, mind, as he has very similar markings to Blip  ;)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline BLUE

• Kitten
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 17:06:33 PM »
Well its been two days now and "Blue" has been coming and going through the cat flap. Need not have worried as he is just wonderful. On Saturday was the first time I let him out without running after him and he came back after 1 hour. Had a bite to eat and out again. I spent a bit of time in the garden and he came an found me. Made sure he came in before 5pm.

Sunday he could not wait to go out again, but this time did not venture too far from the house. Sat on the wall watching me some of the time. So am very pleased that has all worked out well. Thanks for all the advice given.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 16:28:42 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Blue.

It is such a worry, isnt it?  But I think the advice below is good - make sure Blue is starting to feel peckish before you let him out at first.  I would also hope that, with the colder weather coming upon us, he will be glad of a nice warm home to snooze in and will be less inclined to wander off.  Our cat Blip comes when she is called (eventually!) so training Blue to do that by rewarding him when he does it will be a good thing to do.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 22:01:58 PM »
My kittycollars arrived today, blooming postal strike  :Crazy: My hubby was less than impressed that I bought one in brightest pink for our darling Milly  :rofl:

We've been advised to keep our new furbabes in for at least a month - but that takes us up to bonfire weekend so we are not intending to let them out until a couple of weeks after that and maybe even wait until the new year.  They have been house cats in a flat for 7+ years so it's not as if we're depriving them with our house in the meantime!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 21:10:38 PM »
Beat ya by 13 seconds Ruth  :rofl:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 20:55:46 PM »
Yay...I hope you and your cat have loads of fun (and exercise) when da bird arrives  ;D

I dont use collars on my cats but a lot of people on here seem to like/use kittycollars, they are safety collars that will release if the cat gets it caught on/in something (stops the cat being strangled or its paw getting stuck in the collar (being known to lead to amputation if circulation has stopped etc) sorry for the last part in brackets!

You can find them here...   www.kittycollars.co.uk   ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 20:55:33 PM »
www.kittycollars.co.uk i think

Other places also sell collars but do make sure they have a safety clip not elastic as thats not as safe as people think.

Offline BLUE

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 20:30:55 PM »
Have you tried the "da bird" toy, mine go mad for it, i've even had to buy another one.  It turns even the oldest cat into a kitten again!! :rofl:  It's for sale in the shop on here, very highly recommended!!

I think if you're home this weekend might be worth letting him out while you have the time to be about

Thanks for the info, I did not know there was a shop. I have ordered one thanks.

I also want to get a cat collar any sugestions the best place to buy one

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 19:42:54 PM »
even my dog likes it!! ;D

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 19:41:03 PM »
Have you tried the "da bird" toy, mine go mad for it, i've even had to buy another one.  It turns even the oldest cat into a kitten again!! :rofl:  It's for sale in the shop on here, very highly recommended!!

I think if you're home this weekend might be worth letting him out while you have the time to be about

Offline BLUE

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 19:35:30 PM »
I have a conservatory at my back door so don't have a cat flap as yet, do have one on the garage door though incase they won't come in at night.  The first time i let him out i just opened the door, he had a sniff and then wandered out next thing i knew he was going over the garden fence but did come back eventually.  I did let him out for longer each day and now he can't wait to come back home.

Does he have a fav toy which you could take outside and play with him, mine did and i used that to keep him occupied whilst he had a good nosey round the garden initially.

Good luck

No favorite toys, does not seem to want to play much. But loves lots of affection ;D

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 19:28:05 PM »
I have a conservatory at my back door so don't have a cat flap as yet, do have one on the garage door though incase they won't come in at night.  The first time i let him out i just opened the door, he had a sniff and then wandered out next thing i knew he was going over the garden fence but did come back eventually.  I did let him out for longer each day and now he can't wait to come back home.

Does he have a fav toy which you could take outside and play with him, mine did and i used that to keep him occupied whilst he had a good nosey round the garden initially.

Good luck

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 19:18:45 PM »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline BLUE

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 19:16:38 PM »
I used to think i was a bit of an expert on this subject until Smidgen disappeared earlier this week. Now I know that it really depends on the cat. If he is older, and is chipped, then I think you are doing the right thing with the supervised runs. As he managed to get lost his first time out, it might be useful to make sure he is trained to come to a call or rattled box of biscuits. If that is the case you can let him go over the fence and gradually expand his territory, always knowing how to get back. It really is a case of trial and error... they are such independent cusses when they want to be :Luv:

The first time he escaped was the evening back from the rescue centre, did not have time to settle in at all. It was my fault as my previous cat was disabled some what with only 3 legs an no tail. So he used to spend most of his time in the house or garden as he could not get up on the wall or fence around the property. He never jumped up on window sills either.

So of course when my new cat "BLUE" arrived I really did not think, I shut all windows except our toilet one. I was just ajar but BLUE managed to find it and jump on the toilet seat,then the window sill to escape. Just below the window was our porch roof so easy way down. He was missing for three weeks, until someone reported a stray 3 roads away, thank goodness it was him.

So you can see how I worry about letting him out, but I must pluck up the courage to do it sometime :-[ :doh:

Offline BLUE

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 19:04:40 PM »
Hi i got my cat from a rescue he was previsouly a stray so they advised to keep him in for about 6 weeks.  The first time i let him out he disappeared for about 12 hours but then came home and everytime he goes out now he can't wait to come back in.

I was told to let him out before feeding him, then he'd go for a wander but come back for some food, which he did

Mine was not a stray but was with a family who oved to a flat that did not allow pets. He has been in for three weeks now. Did you let the cat use the cat flap or just the door. I have been told to open the door and let him out just in the garden at first. Then only for a short time each day, but to increase the length of time each day. Its ok for them to give this advice  but if the cat jumps up on my garden wall he is over and gone in seconds.

I supose I will just have to take the chance at the weekend and see how it goes. Fingers crossed :-: ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 19:19:08 PM by BLUE »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 19:03:36 PM »
I used to think i was a bit of an expert on this subject until Smidgen disappeared earlier this week. Now I know that it really depends on the cat. If he is older, and is chipped, then I think you are doing the right thing with the supervised runs. As he managed to get lost his first time out, it might be useful to make sure he is trained to come to a call or rattled box of biscuits. If that is the case you can let him go over the fence and gradually expand his territory, always knowing how to get back. It really is a case of trial and error... they are such independent cusses when they want to be :Luv:

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 18:36:17 PM »
Hi i got my cat from a rescue he was previsouly a stray so they advised to keep him in for about 6 weeks.  The first time i let him out he disappeared for about 12 hours but then came home and everytime he goes out now he can't wait to come back in.

I was told to let him out before feeding him, then he'd go for a wander but come back for some food, which he did

Offline BLUE

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 15:30:39 PM »
:welcome: blue

How old is your cat?

Is he microchipped? I would definately get this done if he isnt.

He does sound like the type of cat who needs to be out and about. So i would chip him then let him out on a hungry tum on a day you havent got to go out. Nothing worse than to be sat at what wondering what if.

According to the Cat Rescue he is 10/12 years old. He is micro chipped.  Up till the time I let him out he has been quite content just mooching around the house. Now he has been out he makes a bee line for the back door everytime he sees me.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 15:09:21 PM »
 :welcome: blue

How old is your cat?

Is he microchipped? I would definately get this done if he isnt.

He does sound like the type of cat who needs to be out and about. So i would chip him then let him out on a hungry tum on a day you havent got to go out. Nothing worse than to be sat at what wondering what if.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 14:13:48 PM »
as he's got form for running away I'd keep him in another couple of weeks and only let him out the first few times before you feed him

Offline BLUE

• Kitten
Letting My Cat Out
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 12:19:12 PM »
Hi How long should I keep my cat in before he is ready to venture out side for the first time.

He has been in for three weeks now, did let him out for about two mins yesterday, and did let him out today. But today he decided to jump over the wall and escape. I have managed to get him back in. I am worried he will wander off and will not see him again.

When I first got him some 6 weeks ago from the cat rescue centre he escaped the first night through our toilet window. I did not see him for 3 weeks. But did eventually get a phone call of a stray which hapend to be him.

He has now been back 3 weeks but I am not sure I am doing the right thing letting him out now.  Since he went out today he keeps pestering to let him out again, really don't know what to do for the best.

Link to CatChat