Author Topic: Flea bag  (Read 3676 times)

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
Re: Flea bag
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 17:27:39 PM »
Aahh - we had a flea infestation from Binky - the room spray from the vets worked but the house stank - I had to sit on the doorstep for about an hour before I could go back in. Binky was an outdoor cat by then, maybe Leo could sit in his carrier outside with you or at a friends while you fumigate?! Ever since then I have always bought anything like that from the vets & had no further problems.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 17:26:37 PM »
No they have sensitive stomachs  ;D

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 17:24:02 PM »
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 17:02:03 PM »
oh no I wasn't saying that, but I think its pretty sad that breeders put themselves in a position of responsibility and we look up to them as knowledgeable and then they do things like this

To be honest this lady was the only breeder that was anywhere near me. The rest were all up North which was far too far to go.

You do put all your trust in them though as you look at them as experienced breeders.. I was just so smitten with him as he is such a beauty that I wanted him anyway - even with his kinky tail & moley chin !!  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 16:55:37 PM »
well at least you know where not to go for another kitten!

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 16:54:42 PM »
I know and I don't blame you he is lovely but you trust these people and they let you down.  It happened to me a bit with Tilly my bengal, it was only after I got her that the breeder told me about bengal tummy and that is how I found cat chat by searching the internet to find out more about it.  Roz and Gill helped me out a lot

I know ..
we live & learn !  :Luv:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 16:57:46 PM by lisa77 »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 16:50:00 PM »
I know and I don't blame you he is lovely but you trust these people and they let you down.  It happened to me a bit with Tilly my bengal, it was only after I got her that the breeder told me about bengal tummy and that is how I found cat chat by searching the internet to find out more about it.  Roz and Gill helped me out a lot

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 16:47:18 PM »
Not that im moaning - i really would of spent £1,000 on him if i had of had it ! He means so much to me  :Luv:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 16:46:48 PM »
oh no I wasn't saying that, but I think its pretty sad that breeders put themselves in a position of responsibility and we look up to them as knowledgeable and then they do things like this

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 16:42:31 PM »
well I am a bit gullable i suppose..

Also i showed the vet his mole & she said "I would of asked for another £50 off of him for that too" breeder mentioned that the day we picked him up. Its quite big & I have to pay about £50 to get it removed

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 16:40:38 PM »
6 months?  normally fleaing is for 1 month and worming for 3 I think

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 16:40:08 PM »
as far as treatment given there was no info on fles or worm treatment - only the vaccinations he had had  :wow:

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 16:38:50 PM »
Breeder did say he was flead & wormed & would be ok for 6 months..but when I saw the blood from the fleas I flead him & the same day I went to the vet who then advised me that if he wasnt flead then chances are he wasnt wormed either so vets gave me wormer too

:innocent:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 16:41:03 PM by lisa77 »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 16:35:09 PM »
I was going to ask the same, I hope the breeder did all these things for you Lisa, that is part of what you pay for

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 16:21:52 PM »
I flead him the day I went to the vets which was 24th Sep.. He had wormer from the vets so I know that'll be ok..

thanks everyone

Didnt the breeder do all the de-fleating, worming etc before he came to you? Theyve usually done all those things before sending them to their new home. You should have got an info sheet telling you exactly what treatments he's had before coming to you.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 15:19:02 PM »
Phew !!!!!

I think i will stick to the vets stuff from now !

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 15:17:36 PM »
The problem arises when people use dog products for their large cats. Theres a reaction very quickly so dont worry about Leo becomming ill  ;D

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 15:14:16 PM »
Just read the Bob Martin thread.. this is what I used - worried now  :-[

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 15:05:58 PM »
Thats worrying ! Why are they allowed to sell them ???  :Crazy:

The active drugs are not prescription so they get sold in pet stores with no advice from staff.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=8253.0

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 14:59:47 PM »
Thats worrying ! Why are they allowed to sell them ???  :Crazy:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 14:58:13 PM »
Indorex is great, lasts 12months and kills dust mites too  :wow: frontline on the cat too and wham bam no fleas  :evillaugh:

Supermarket products are not only useless they are potentially v.dangerous.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 13:51:30 PM »
I flead him the day I went to the vets which was 24th Sep.. He had wormer from the vets so I know that'll be ok..

thanks everyone

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 13:37:05 PM »
If you go to www.vetuk.co.uk through a link with one of the cat charity's (Dawn Cheesecat has a banner at the bottom of the posts ) you can buy the same treatment as you would get from the vets ie. frontline at a very good discount price....How long ago did you use the flea stuff? You would probably need at least 4-6 wks between applications.

There's a good house spray for all the cats resting area's etc called "Stronghold" that will get rid of any stray fleas lying around  :sick:
ps. dont be tempted to buy pet shop/supermarket versions as you can pay alot of money for a product that definately wont work  ;)

Dont forget to worm Leo with Drontal also (you can get them also from the above link  ;)) cos unfortunately with fleas comes worms  :shify:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 13:41:11 PM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 13:25:08 PM »
If you've found one, there will almost certainly be a few more ......

You can get spray from the vets, I used Indorex, another one is Acclaim, you vacate each room for a while and spray it over all furnishings, nooks, crannies etc, and it stops the eggs hatching for up to a year.

I'm not sure which flea treatment you used, but almost certainly the only ones which work are those from the vets, i.e. frontline, advantage, those ones.

However, don't treat Leo again with another dose until you've spoken to the vets, as overloading kitty with things like that can be dangerous x

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 13:23:08 PM »
not men in suits but it will need treated iirc 95 percent of fleas are not on the cat but on vacation round your house :(

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 13:18:24 PM »
Oh please no dont say I will need to get my flat sprayed by them people in body suits ?

My mum had to have that done once.. but that was cos she had an infestation as it was a really hot summer & I forgot to flea Marley  :omg:

Surley that would only need to be done if he was swarming in them ? i have checked checked & double checked & only found 1 !!!

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 13:15:58 PM »
other more knowledgeable will be on soon but he and your house will need treated :(

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
Flea bag
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 13:13:16 PM »
when we got Leo I noticed he had the little blood specs caused by fleas. I checked him & couldnt see any actual fleas.. checked all the warm places like in his little arm pit etc etc.. so I got some flea stuff which I put between his shoulder blades & thought that must of done the trick.. well I was brushing him last night & I saw one on the comb.. :Crazy: :Crazy: He's obviously got fleas but he isnt infested or anything..it was obviously a waste of time what I used..

Do you have to get stuff from the vets for it to be any good ?

Link to CatChat