Author Topic: Chronic Renal Failure :(  (Read 15672 times)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
Re: Chronic Renal Failure :(
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2009, 19:55:56 PM »
Good point, Thx Bazsmum  :shy:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2009, 19:46:29 PM »
There will be no time for fighting Stuart....to many butterflies to chase!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2009, 19:05:44 PM »
Hamish, I hope your showing Misty around Rainbow bridge just now, I got His message He'd arrived.
and Please, for Me " No Fighting !!" That goes for the both of You !!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2007, 19:33:12 PM »
A great tribute to Hamish. I hope Misty and you are doing OK. Just do everything in your own time. Great that you have understanding friends to support you  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2007, 14:05:27 PM »
So very sorry Stuart, thinking of you xxx

RIP Hamish and play hard at the bridge sweetheart - send your Daddy a rainbow xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2007, 15:23:55 PM »
Well said Elaine :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2007, 19:41:47 PM »
One step at a time Stuart, I am glad your friends were supportive, there is nothing worse than hearing things like "it was only a cat".  That just maddens me coz they are so much more to us than these kinds of people can ever imagine.
Thinking of you xxx
Elaine

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2007, 17:10:22 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: Thinking of you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2007, 12:59:55 PM »
 :hug: :hug:

We've all been there, Stuart. Letting them go is the hardest thing we ever have to face, but it's also the final act of love and some aren't so lucky...  :'( :'(

And the hairy bikers I've come across have been some of the softest peeps I know.  ;)

You know you've always got us on purrs...  :Luv:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2007, 12:51:18 PM »
Hamish came back home yesterday.
My Wife and I were invited to a barbeque at the weekend, and she asked me was I sure I wanted to go??
as she felt i was'nt ready for it, I said it would get me out of the house and it'll take my mind of Hamish.
It Did'nt  :'(

And that night was when I Discovered, that I have true friends, All of them comforted and gave support
(considering they are all hairy biker's, even I was surprised !!)

I did'nt like the casket that was offered for Hamish's remain's, so I bought an ornament off of ebay and
with a little drop of paint, am now happy for His ashes to be placed.

I Still have Moment's and I know I always will, but I think I am now Begining to Accept That Hamish is
gone and IS in a Better place !! although I'm not quite ready to transfer the ashes atm.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2007, 07:58:43 AM »
What a lovely post Stuart, I am glad that you felt you did the right thing, and that it was done in consultation with the vet. As someone who has had to see other people's cats go 'naturally' from kidney issues, thank you for being able to put his needs first, it really is the best thing for them, he was lucky to have had you. Dont feel guilty about his teeth, even if you had known, you might not have been able to do anything.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2007, 19:45:29 PM »
Thank you Stuart for that lovely post and we all know how hard it is and Hamish has touched us all. :hug: :hug:

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2007, 19:35:27 PM »
I felt just the same when Fluffy was put to sleep in May. Great releif but real pain too. You just have to keep remembering that that was the final act of kindness for Hamish from you and you have done it out of the great love you have for him. Do not dwell on what ifs - they will not change anything and hindsight is only helpful if you learn to move on.

You did the best you could and that is all that anyone can expect of you.

Take Care of yourself and Misty.

Love
tammy
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 19:37:16 PM by tammy »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2007, 15:59:40 PM »
It’s sad, but I felt a great burden had been lifted when Hamish was sent to the bridge.
I have been physically sick with worry these past few days over Hamish, but since He’s been released,
it feel’s as if a great weight has been lifted off of me, although Now I have a great huge hole in my life
and my heart is aching.

I am having his mortal remains cremated, so he can come home again. I don’t know if any of you will agree
with me on that

I felt that too Stuart, when Suzie went to sleep peacefully, I think its because you know they won't be suffering anymore, so that anxious feeling goes - just leaving the heartache you describe, and your'e right that will ease - in time.

I had Suzie cremated so she will always be with me.

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2007, 15:09:59 PM »
Thankyou Stuart for sharing Hamish with us and letting us into his world.  I'm crying like a baby here, your words are very moving and straight from the heart.
We all know the pain and loss you feel right now, allow yourself to greive.  I too had Winstons remains cremated and he will be with me when I go.
Sending you many  :hug:
Elaine xxx

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2007, 15:00:52 PM »
That was a really lovely and moving letter Stuart :'(

Look after yourself you will be in our thoughts :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2007, 14:54:30 PM »
Dear Friends,
               THANK YOU SO MUCH for your condolence and sympathy, it really is A great comfort to me.
It’s sad, but I felt a great burden had been lifted when Hamish was sent to the bridge.
I have been physically sick with worry these past few days over Hamish, but since He’s been released,
it feel’s as if a great weight has been lifted off of me, although Now I have a great huge hole in my life
and my heart is aching. I do know that with time, the aching will ease and the memories I have of Hamish’s
last few days will be pushed to the back of the mind, leaving only the good one’s.

The house seems very empty and quiet just now and the heartache is intense, as everywhere I go, I see
Hamish, sleeping on the bed, sitting on the window sill catching the early morning rays of the sun,
Watching His starling’s through the Window netting, and it was not uncommon for Hamish to decide to
wake you at 4am in the morning, because his food dish was empty. “ Hamish was always very Vocal and
would soon let you know there was no food in his dish “ as I write this I still think he is sleeping next door,
and I'm expecting him to come prancing through any Moment for some loveies and attention…… then I remember

I am full of guilt just now also, as it was 7 or 8 months ago that Hamish slowed down his food intake.
At the time I just put it down to Him being fussy. “  I forgot they grow Old “ But the vet had a Quick
look at his mouth after he went to the Bridge, and told me He had no Ulcers But had a molar that looked
as though it needed to be removed, restating that if he Had been put under for treatment it would have
probably killed him. But in Hindsight I should have taken him to the vet….

Misty seems to be ok but it is still early days yet, He was there when Hamish was sent to the Bridge,
But I don’t think he really understands that Hamish wont be coming back

In Hamish’s last few days He looked really miserable, and had stopped speaking to me when I came in
the room, he would just lie there with his eyes open. He was very unsteady on his feet and really weak.
Although I coaxed him to drink regularly, he was still not taking in enough fluids.

The Decision was made after having a long talk with the vet and looking at all the options. She felt that
Hamish would have done better if he did not have the complication of the sore mouth, which could not
be treated without risk of loosing him under the anaesthetic, because of his thyroid problem which was
affecting his heart rate. I asked her if we did put him through all this stress and discomfort, and He
survived the surgery, would he still have a quality of life and get better??
I was told that on top of all this he still had CRF which is a gradual disease and would never really get better.
When you separate “ loosing your Best Friend forever “ / “ Releasing them from pain and suffering “
You know. You must do what’s best for THEM, It is not an easy decision, but it’s one that has to be made….

I Do feel as though I Did the right thing. But it’s one of those situations. That we must all go through / been
through that leaves you in so much despair, for Me this is worse than loosing a Human Family member as they
can tell you they are not well and when it comes to their time, you accept it. Whereas our Furbabes cannot
tell you..If only they could speak!!….

I know Hamish has a better home now, is chasing his starling’s, eating, drinking and is happy.
I am missing Him terribly just now, and I know there will never be anyone quite like him. He was the most
easygoing, happy go lucky, laid back cat you could ever meet, in all the years I had him he never showed any
animosity, or lashed out in anger “ unlike another furbabe I could mention “ and I still remember one of my
close friends giving him the nickname “ BIG JESSIE “ cause that’s what he was. “Just a big Jessie
I could go on and on about his character and tell you stories of some of the things he got up to,
but I would be here all week if I did

I am having his mortal remains cremated, so he can come home again. I don’t know if any of you will agree
with me on that “ as I personally don’t like cremation, and I would rather be buried “ But this way, when its
my time to go, I will have comfort in knowing that he is beside me and I will see him again…

So sorry for babbling again, but it helps to get these things off your chest

I will sign off just now “ as it is getting increasingly difficult to type with Misty sitting on my lap, trying to stop
my hand from typing..

But I will frequent this forum in the future, and You will hear from me again “unfortunately “

And again THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for your Understanding and help at this sad time..

Kindest Regards to you all!!  Stuart

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2007, 07:54:20 AM »
I am so very sorry to hear this, he had a wonderful owner who did everything he could for him, including making that final decision, however hard. RIP little one.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2007, 22:55:57 PM »
Sorry to hear the sad news, you really did give him the greatest gift  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2007, 22:06:42 PM »
So very sorry Stuart, a very hard decision to make but I am sure that Hamish will think you did right.  :hug: :hug:

RIP Hamish, play hard on the Bridge and make lots of friends there.

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2007, 20:33:05 PM »
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=6825.0

Stuart above is a link to another section on here and it has a lovely poem about a loved pet that had recently passed away. I found it very touching and appropriate. It was put up by Helen and I think its lovely.

tammy

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2007, 20:03:21 PM »
So very sorry Stuart xxx  Hamish will always be with you, take comfort from knowing you always had HIS best interests at heart.
R.I.P. Hamish xxx

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2007, 19:27:37 PM »
Oh, I am so sorry, it is the hardest decision we have to make, but there comes a time when any keeping on is being done for us, not them. You have made a courageous decision, but a kind one. We are all thinking of you here.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2007, 17:59:48 PM »
Stuart so very very sorry to head the sad news about Hamish.

As everyone has said making the decision is one of the hardest things we have to do as a pet owner but it is also the kindest thing we can do for our furbabes  when the time is right.

We all understand how you must be feeling right now and we are here for you if you want us.  I'm sure Misty will help you through this difficult time and vice versa.

RIP Hamish ... Play hard at the bridge baby.  No more pain just fun and sunshine.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2007, 17:27:28 PM »
Sorry to hear about Hamish    :hug: :hug:

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2007, 15:09:07 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about Hamish, Stuart.  You did everything you could for him.  Letting them go is the final act of kindness we can do for them.  RIP Hamish.  Have fun at rainbow bridge.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2007, 14:25:41 PM »
So sorry Stuart....you done everything in your power to make things right  :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Hamish  :(  all our bridge babes will be waiting to help you over  :Luv:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2007, 14:20:41 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Hamish, you bravely did what was best for him, take care  :hug:

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2007, 14:10:57 PM »
So sorry Stuart :(

R I P  Hamish :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2007, 14:03:32 PM »
Stuart, I'm so sorry to hear about Hamish  :hug: :hug:

RIP little one, play hard on the Bridge and enjoy chasing the butterflies
xx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2007, 13:56:05 PM »
Sorry Stuart we know you did all you could for your Hamish including the final kindness.

RIP Hamish

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2007, 13:53:47 PM »
Rest in peace little man.

Take care. Our thoughts are with you.

:hug:

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2007, 13:33:19 PM »
Stuart,
I am very sorry to hear this.  You've had to make one of the hardest decisions but Hamish is without pain now, and that is important. 
Take care of yourself and we are here if you need support.
Best wishes, Chris, Samson, Buddie and Pepper

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2007, 13:24:13 PM »
 :RIP: Little Hamish!!

Stuart you have done the right thing, as hard as it has been for you. Hamish is in a better place now and no longer suffering. :grouphug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2007, 13:21:41 PM »
12:50 today, Hamish was put to rest.. He is in a Better Place now......

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2007, 07:42:03 AM »
i am sorry that he doesn't seem to be doing better, i truly hope the vet can give him something to help his mouth, so you can see if he can rally round. Will be thinking of you.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2007, 23:27:14 PM »
Poor Hamish and poor you  :hug:  It really is so hard to know what to do for the best sometimes, whatever decision you make there will always be 'what ifs'.   I have everything crossed that the vet can give Hamish something to sort his mouth out and that he improves from there  :hug:

I hope you don't mind me posting this poem, I sincerely hope it is not Hamish's time but the poem really sums up how hard it is to contemplate losing our lifelong companions.

The Greatest Gift

I always knew this time would come,
From the very instant our eyes first met.
How I loved you then! How I love you now!
I made a promise then, and I will keep that promise now...
You will not suffer from a pain that will not heal;
You will not know the loss of a life remembered, now gone.

It is for me alone to make this decision,
The price for the bright joy and pure laughter
You brought me during the time we shared.
I am the only one who can decide when it is time.
When my hope dies, and my fear rides high,
Just when I need you most, I must let you go.

It is for you alone to tell me when you are ready
For without your guidance, I will not know
When to lay my grief, my guilt, my anger
My sorrow and my selfish heart aside
And give you this last gift, this greatest gift.
Your eyes will speak to mine, and I will know.

The pain of this moment is excruciating.
Tears stream down my face in a river of sorrow.
And my heart drowns in a pool of grief.
For you have spoken and I have listened,
And unlike other decisions I have made
This one brings no relief...no comfort...no peace.

For if there´s one thing you´ve taught me,
If there´s only one thing I´ve learned...
Unconditional love has a condition after all,
I must be willing to let you go, when you speak to me
I must be willing to help you go, if you cannot go alone.
And I must accept my pain so you can be free of yours.

Go easily now, go quickly now,
Do not linger here, it is time for you to leave.
Go find your strength, go find your youth.
Go find the ones who've gone before you.
You are free to leave me now, free to let your spirit soar
Rest easy now, your pain will soon be gone.

I pray I will find comfort in my memories...
In the dark and lonely days ahead.
I cannot say I will not miss you, I cannot say I will not cry.
For only my tears can heal my broken heart.
But, I promise you this; as long as I live,
You will live, alive in my mind, forever in my heart.

So I give you this last gift, all I have left to give,
And this will be my greatest gift...sending you away.
It is the measure of my unconditional love...
For only the greatest love can say,
"Good-bye, go find the bridge, we'll meet again,
Loving you has been the greatest gift of all."
Forever and Always... Until Rainbow bridge....

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2007, 22:36:58 PM »
Others can advise but I wondered about Cimicat - Is there a change he would drink some to build his strength up - also would help with hydration. Just a thought.

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2007, 22:06:35 PM »
Tiffy's mouth was very sore when I syringe fed him.

But the concistency of the puree is such that the cat doesnt have to crunch or bite hard. They just have to swallow.

With some food down he would start to feel better and being better hydrated will help with the toxins in the blood.

I know you dont want to hurt him but Im sure it would probably be ok to syringe feed. You are squirting it at the roof of the mouth so it wont really touch the sore parts of the gum.

I just have this feeling inside that makes me want to say this. Please dont think im mad.

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2007, 21:54:07 PM »
First things first, from what you have said, its my feeling that it is his painful mouth that seems to be the problem, if there was any way the vet could help that then it would probably help greatly but if I remember correctly they are worried about his heart?  You really do have a catch 22 situation here Stuart and I really do feel for you and Hamish.
I also understand when you talk about how long he has been with you, my old boy was the same, had him half my life and he was a constant source of comfort and friendship for all his 21 years.  Its not easy but sometimes the kindest thing we can do for them is to let them go.  When Winston began to get bad and the fluids, appetite stimulants etc werent working, a friend said to me, better a day early than a day too late.  Winston was failing, his body was failing and more complications arose.  I felt it wasnt fair to put him through any more, he'd had a good life and I still miss him very very much.  Most of us here understand your heartache and support what ever decision you come to for Hamish.
My youngster Eva (the Diva) knew Winston was leaving us.  His last day with us she sat close to him, they never had done that before.  With a sad smile Graham and I said Winston was giving her the keys to the cat flap.  Cats dont greive in the same way we humans do, Misty may look for Hamish but mostly thats because something familiar has gone, the goal posts have changed, if you know what I mean.  There may be some changes in Misty as she becomes top cat of the house hold but she will be fine.  Why wouldnt she be?  She has a very caring and loving dad like you by her side.
Elaine xxx

Link to CatChat