Author Topic: Cassie may have had cystitis for 9 years, how to prevent it & retrain her?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Cystitis is constant loo trips producing small or no amount of urine, if Cassie pees normally just not in the tray its not cystitis as such, typical to give ABs before checking for infection
Read here for interesting info on FLUTD, a very small amount is actually caused by infection!
http://www.mpmproducts.co.uk/?in_section=health&page=flutd

Hopefully once the sample is looked at you will have a better idea what to change, it may be dietry or if nothing shows up then you need a behavioural approach.

Things i'd implement:
Extra tray or 2, some cats like a clean tray each time
Remove a hood some prefer open trays
Remove litter tray liners and that horrible deodouriser stuff if used
Place trays in different areas, quiet low traffic is best
Try a tray of fine litter, one like sand in grain size
Clean the offending areas with a proper enzyme based cleaner
Try her on Cystaid supplements
If its stress based then plug in feliway and try zylkene supplement and try to improve on the stress trigger
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 20:55:50 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
Hello,

Cassie is my sister's cat. She is 9 years old and has randomly peed outside the litter tray but inside the house since she was little. It was only recently that she peed on the sofa that my sister took her to the vet to see if there was a physical problem. There is and it's cystitis. She has been given antibiotics and a special type of litter that my sis is to take in for analysis when it has been used. Our question is - how can she be persuaded to use the litter tray again? She may have had cystitis for 9 years :shocked:!

She has catsan litter in there at the moment so that's probably a good litter but i'll give her some okoplus which my jellybean uses in case she prefers that?
Do you think plonking her in the tray a couple of times would help or hinder? She has access to outside and 1 litter tray inside (uncovered) do you think she needs another tray possibly that is covered?

Any help appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:52:48 AM by msrisotto »

Link to CatChat