Author Topic: Advice re: toileting.....  (Read 6004 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Advice re: toileting.....
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 11:39:52 AM »
He's still there. :(

http://www.chesterfield-rspca.org.uk/cat_adoption_page3.htm

Third cat down; he's such a little love too. :(

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 08:36:12 AM »
I hope he finds a home soon, bless him

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 21:20:18 PM »
This boy goes to the RSPCA on Wednesday. I hope he gets a home really soon.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 10:08:25 AM »
Me too. He's a lovely little cat.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 07:09:05 AM »
I do hope that things turn out really well for him xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 17:38:09 PM »
This boy is now on the RSPCA waiting list - you were right, MM when it came to the crunch none of her friends that had offered a home were prepared to go through with it.

(I can't either. Not just due to cost; I feel he'd benefit from a second vet visit and a urine test, but because Mog's getting worse.)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 20:18:53 PM »
Thanks Susanne. Will pass all this on to her to consider - like I genuinely believe she cares for this cat, but is worried due to the property being rented.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 13:27:52 PM »
It sounds like the poor little lad just needs a bit more time to settle in.

To cover all bases:

how many trays does she have?  I would have more than one for him - maybe several esp if he is peeing in the same areas.  He maybe doesn't like using a tray once it's been used.

she needs to make sure she's cleaning the areas he uses thoroughly.  best way is to use biological washing powder (must be biological), rinse thoroghly then spritz with a bit of surgical spirit when dry.  then spray the areas with feliway to deter marking.  she might also want to spray the duvet with feliway if he's peeing on the bed.  Her partner being in the bed may well be significant.  How does he react around her partner generally?

As well as the feliway, how about her trying zyklene if she thinks it might be stress related?  or some rescue remedy in his water? 

If it was me, I would give him a thorough check up at the vets - test a urine sample and maybe blood tests to check on his health generally - how old is he?

If it is stress related, his going to live with someone else is not going to help.  Although I can understand her feeling she can't cope if he's spraying a lot.  I know how frustrated and upset I get when Jaffa does it and he doesn't do it regularly.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 10:20:45 AM »
Have passed on the information. He was got as a kitten from the RSPCA so to my knowledge hasn't had to tough it out on the streets. ;) Hopefully she'll listen and get the blood panel done soon. :hug:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 20:00:23 PM »
If it's just peeing the odds it's stress related goes down. Spraying is definitely a different issue and more associated with behavioural issues.  ;) 5 is a little young for those kinds of physical problems but it depends on his background. If he's suffered from neglect or been a long term stray before he ended up in rescue, all those things can have an impact on health - I am convinced of it. I adopted a lovely female ex-stray puss from Battersea a few years back. She was only 7 but 18 months later died from liver failure.  :'(

From personal experience, random peeing and pooing can be a side effect of Thyroid issues, but I also would expect increased food intake and/or weight loss if it's severe. Certainly worth a vet visit I think. Worth a full blood panel I think.  ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 19:39:56 PM »
So - things to check for...thyroid related or kidney issues, anything else?

He's about five so not especially old and I think it's weeing rather than spraying. I don't think they've ever caught him in the act.

Thanks Julie. I do think they care but they don't know what to do - it's a rented property and they're scared they'll get into trouble due to him peeing on the laminate and causing damage.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 18:31:53 PM »
Can they not exclude puss from the bedroom in that case?  :shify:

I can sympathise with the toys bit of her message. Mine get bored with new toys after 5 minutes. They'd much rather have a cardboard box.  :evillaugh: Perfectly normal that.  :innocent:

Alright.... did you clarify whether it's spraying or just normal peeing? Have they actually caught him in the act? That's a vital clue!

I've only just realised we haven't asked his age!  :doh: If he's an older chap there's a chance it could be Thyroid related, or kidneys etc.  :sneaky: In fact, even if he's a younger cat it could be those things. So yes... off the vetty-poos!  ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 18:04:46 PM »
Apparently the partner was in the bed at the time of the peeing...is that significant?

They'd apparently had a good week up until yesterday when they got back from work and this lad had pee'd all over the kitchen floor.

Here's a bit out of the message:

"He's not a bad cat we just can't seem to get him settled - he just doesnt seem to want to be here!We got him some new toys again the other day he played for 5 mins now he's not bothered again."

I'm not sure what else to say except take him back to the vet, he needs a urine test. Would that be fair to say?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 19:47:57 PM »
They've met him and he's a little star. And she took him to the vet who said there was nothing wrong - but like I said they didn't do a urine test so how they'd know that I've no idea.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 19:44:21 PM »
Shes bound by agreement to hand him back, what happens if he pees in a friends house and they dump him on another person and so on  :(
If she loves him she should do the right thing by him, at least he will get vet checks etc done there, he could possibly be very uncomfortable from crystals and nobody stumps the cash up for him to be tested

I'd also like to know how she finds 3 people so quickly who doesnt mind a sprayer?!  :shocked:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 11:53:57 AM »
She informs me she doesn't want to send him back to "kitty prison" and I can understand that. She's had offers from three friends to take him on, so maybe I should leave the situation alone?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 23:14:04 PM »
Don't mention this toileting issue. If he's young and otherwise healthy he will be okay - the RSPCA does rehome some animals from time to time...  :rofl: Especially if all the expensive stuff has been done so he won't cost too much to bring to homable state - vac, neuter etc. His chip will be recorded as being inserted by RSPCA so no avoiding it I'm afraid. Rescues usually buy chips in bulk and the whole batch gets registered to them. They should be told first and given a chance to sort him out. If they can't fit him in or find a place for him, that's another matter.  ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 23:04:30 PM »
But....we all know about the "largest rescues" track record regarding animals with issues. Do you think they'd be wiser to accidentally  ;) mislay the paperwork and get him on the local CP waiting list?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 22:19:36 PM »
Yes, they should return him to the RSPCA. If they still have the paperwork it should be on the adoption agreement.  :innocent:

I've seen this so many times... all stress and habit induced. In a new environment with new people he won't have a problem.  ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 22:14:02 PM »
I didn't go round two days ago, it was at the end of January but it's still not that long for him to adjust if they've just put his tray back down. At the end of the day, he's got to relearn indoor litter training in a certain area again.

He's such a nice cat, and to be honest his owners do seem to love him but I think his behaviour is confusing them so much that they're at a loss. Has to be said though, he's an RSPCA cat so legally aren't they supposed to return him? (I hope not, but something makes me think that's the case.)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 21:49:25 PM »
Did I get this wrong but 2 days ago you told us you visited the poor love and he didn't even have a tray until you told them to put it back?  :shify: 2 days is no time at all.  :tired: His little brain must be scrambled with all the changes and strange smells they are inflicting on him... and now they want to ditch him!  >:(

They don't deserve him, JS. They are passing their feelings and annoyance to him and he's reacting to it.  :tired: He needs a home prepared to put the effort in and give it a bit longer than that for him to get used to new things. I can almost promise he won't have any litter tray issues in a fresh home.  ;)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 21:35:55 PM »
 :scared:  Peeing on the bed is definitely supposed to be a sign of stress, what about Zylkene if Feliway is not doing the trick?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 17:47:08 PM »
OK, the situation is serious now as this little lad is being offered to people. (He's peeing on their bed.) ANY idea what I can suggest to help other than what I have done?

(I can't believe when this cat was taken to the vet they didn't do a urine test.)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 19:00:02 PM »
Hmmm, well spirit of some description. May have got that wrong; it's something that's recommended to neutralise the smell anyway....

No, I don't think it is a specific place but I'll ask. ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 18:15:12 PM »
Where is the tray? Is the soiling in the same spot or random spots? If it's the same spot, put the tray there.  ;) I'm convinced a lot of the time these things get set into a pattern and then it just becomes habit.  :shy:

That's how we ended up with a tray in the corner of the living room. Willow started peeing behing the TV so I put a tray there and she began using it. There is also another on in the cloakroom on the same floor but now Alice uses one for wees and the other for poo  :evillaugh: - although she sometimes alternates  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 18:09:09 PM »
Where is the tray? Is the soiling in the same spot or random spots? If it's the same spot, put the tray there.  ;) I'm convinced a lot of the time these things get set into a pattern and then it just becomes habit.  :shy:

Surgical spirit??? Well I can't stand the smell of that myself. If I were a cat I'd want to mask that ASAP.  :sick: Then more smell on top of the surgical spirit?  :shify: Puss's nose must be having a nervous break down.  :doh: Tell her to keep it simple.... a bit of dilute washing or baking soda should remove the smell without laying different ones on top.  ;)

That's my two penneth.  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 17:35:56 PM »
OK, I went round. Transpires the litter tray was removed when he was allowed out - so that's back in place. All the areas he's pee'd in have been scrubbed with surgical spirit and sprayed with pet behave spray. There's feliway on the go; yet he's still inappropriately toileting....

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 15:50:46 PM »
It does sound like a marking thing as its a new house, Poot did the same thing the day he came to us, and so far so good, nothing more.

Just the usual advice to give really, maybe more trays, and Simple Solution to clean those areas?

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 13:00:22 PM »
JS, it does sound like it could be the move, I know they've already moved but this a link in our Guides section has some tips which may be helpful: 

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,27011.0.htmlpful:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:50:10 PM »
Well, I'm not an expert on cats weeing where they shouldn't otherwise I would be able to sort out Jaffa but..

assuming he didn't do this in the old home, I would guess the  move has made him a bit anxious?  maybe he's stressed by other cats in the neighbourhood and is expressing his anxiety by weeing outside the tray.  the fact that he's going out less implies that he might not have fittedd into the neighbourhood hierarchy yet or may be bullied by another cat.  Or maybe it's just the weather, lol.

Don't know what to suggest other than adding another tray or 2, feliway etc. and trying to reassure him.  Maybe keep him indoors for a while?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Advice re: toileting.....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 22:16:04 PM »
Someone I know moved house a little while ago, and their cat has started toileting in the house. (Not in his tray, I hasten to add.) He pee'd in the kitchen the other day and her new update is that he has poo'd and wee'd on the landing.

She has feliway plug ins and is confused as to why her boy is doing this. He's also going out less.

I think it might be that he isn't coping well with the move so after he goes out for a little while he comes back in and "marks" his core territory. Any other opinions and possible solutions?

Link to CatChat