Author Topic: Breathing  (Read 1084 times)

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
Re: Breathing
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 08:38:49 AM »
Thanks All!  Happy to know it's ok!
Pam

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 23:28:30 PM »
cats' flanks move rapidly too when they are purring, and I have mistaken purring for rapid breathing sometimes
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 23:25:15 PM »
Id say its normal, cats dont have sweat glands so find it hard to cool down hence the panting...Maybe a little less time spent on play, just cut it down a bit as kittens would go on and on so its up to us to say "right that's enough for now"  ;)

Not a kitten expert btw, but have had a few!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 23:25:43 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 23:24:37 PM »
My rather large boy Misa shows his breathing especially when he is stressed and must admit I look for signs of movement when mine are asleep to make sure they are still with me.

I think there is probably no problem but hopefully some kitten experts will confirm this is normal  >:(

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
Breathing
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 23:17:27 PM »
Silly question, but how obvious should normal breathing be in a kitten.  I have noticed that when Rajah breathes, whether at rest or even after playing, his sides move up and down quite fast.  Sometimes when he has been playing really hard, eg running fast when my daughter plays chase with him, he pants with his mouth open.  He doesn't appear to be discernably unwell, nor does he seem to tire quickly or easily, and is eating normally.  I am just a little concerned because I have owned rats in the past and when they get lung problems their breathing becomes very obvious and their sides move in and out really fast.
Pam

Link to CatChat