Author Topic: Going on hols....what to do about cats...in or out?  (Read 1413 times)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Re: Going on hols....what to do about cats...in or out?
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 11:30:15 AM »
I would also go for the indoors ,they may not be happy with it but at least you will have peace of mind knowing they are safe inside, better a little bit of mess on return then a lost or worse kittie :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 11:00:11 AM »
I'm another vouching for the 'in' option.

A few years ago I was catsitting for my neighbours furbabes, and as their routine was changed, i.e. time of feeding and time of letting them out (I work full time whereas they were often around in the daytime), their routine was upset and Freda went missing for a couple of days.

I was worried sick, I could see food was being eaten, I had to leave it in the back garden as they didn't have a catflap!

She turned up eventually, she had been seen around the area, just not coming back as she didn't respond to my voice etc.

I dread to think what could have happened had she not come back when she did.

Such a worry, for that reason I'd defo say indoors.  Yours cats would forgive you .... eventually  ;)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 07:02:58 AM »
Thank you to everyone for your responses. I shall be keeping the cats indoors while we are away. Hippykitty, I live in a very rural area, on the edge of a village surrounded by vineyards with only a small county road leading into the vines. through the  night there is no traffic at all as the road goes nowhere. When we are home, which is all of the time, except for hols, the cats do go outside through the day too so I have to trust that they can take care of themselves. Last year was their first with us and I used to keep them in at night but during the very hot summer, they decided it was too hot to be out through the day and that's how they ended up going out at night. We have a covered terrace with chairs and sometimes they spend part of the night there.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 03:50:31 AM »
Keep them in while you're away. I'd also rethink letting them out at night. In rural areas, cats are less streetwise and a higher percentage are killed on the roads. It may be better to let them out in the day normally. While you're away, keep them in entirely.

I would worry myself silly if mine could go out while I was away. It would ruin the holiday.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 15:23:56 PM »
I'm with the others.  Keep them in where you know they will be safe.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 10:38:44 AM »
My aunts cat was knocked over and killed while she was away, someone was going in to feed them but they were getting out through a window that had been left open for them. She didnt want to upset the cats by not allowing them their normal life but not a very nice thing to come back to  :(

I would never go away and leave my cats outdoor access I would be worried sick and not have a very good holiday at all  :shy:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 10:28:33 AM »
I would also go for the "keep in" option, I have seen my sister's neighbours go away and leave their cat out-side while they have holidayed!  >:(

Cats act quite differently when their slaves are not around.....They do miss us even when we are out!  ;) :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 10:25:31 AM »
have you considered asking your neighbour if she has a friend or relative who could stay in your house and visit her while you're away?

if it worked out you could use it again, and everyone, including the cats, would benefit
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 10:04:15 AM »
Thanks Angie and Ela. Like you, my instincts tell me to keep them indoors. Many years ago I cat-sat for a friend and one of hers never came home :( I will have more peace of mind if they are indoors then all I have to worry about is if they wreck the house ;D Now all I have to do is tell my OH....

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 09:56:04 AM »
Its a difficult decision for you. Like Ela, I've known (and done with my own) no problems with letting cats do what they want, though tbh, I've not known it without a cat flap, and because of this I would err on the side of keeping them in.
Obviously, this will depend on your neighbour being willing to clean out litter trays. You can certainly make this easier for them by preparing a nice stack of clean ones, a handy supply of plastic bags and gloves!

Having done petseach for many years, like Ela there was a lot of cats that went missing while their owners were on holiday. I think they must feel abandoned and go out looking for human company. Also if your neighbour is responsible then they will also feel worried if one of them goes missing. Will they stay long enough to do a role call and check that each of them is unharmed and eating well at each feed?

Last time I went away, I paid for a house sitter to look after mine. It cost as much as the holiday but i came back to cats that I swear hadn't really noticed that we'd be gone and a house cleaner than I'd left it  :-[- not to mention fresh basic provisions.

Its a shame you hadn't said something earlier, your house sounds wonderful and I'm sure someone on here would have volunteered to do some house sitting duties in rural france!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:45:48 AM »
I do cat care when people are away and if they want the cats to go out then I will not care for their cats. I receive so many calls a month where people have gone on holiday and they have asked a neighbour to feed, a relative to stay etc, but so many go missing at this time I personally will not take the risk. Others will tell you that it has always worked well for them. All I will say about that is it is only when you receive as many calls as I do that you know the true extent of the situation.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
Going on hols....what to do about cats...in or out?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:40:40 AM »
We are going off on hols later next week, for 7 - 10 days. Our neighbour will come in twice daily to feed our 3 cats. She has done this before but then, we had only 2 cats and as they had only just started to go outside, we decided to keep them indoors while we were away. Now, we have 3 cats and they are all used to going outside, in fact now 2 of them are outside practically 24/7 and come in only to eat. Normally I don't mind as there is always someone here to let them in whenever they appear but obviously this won't be the case when we're away. I'm of the opinion that because we live on the very edge of a village in the country ( France) it is safer for them at night as there are no cars or people around. Also they tend to appear in the early morning when they hear me open the blinds and this is their sign to come in to eat. So, my thought is to tell my neighbour to keep them indoors through the day and let them be out over night in the hopes that they all appear in the morning so she can get them in for the day. I can see problems with this though as cats can be rather unpredictable :-:.  The only other alternative is to keep them in for the entire time we are away which is going to result in 3 very unhappy cats. My OH says just to let them be out whenever :Crazy: but I don't like that idea much. So, can anyone suggest an alternative. The reason we don't have a cat flap is that we don't want the house to be full of little 'presents' :(

Link to CatChat