Author Topic: Please help my paranoia!!  (Read 12426 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Please help my paranoia!!
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2007, 17:01:11 PM »
Hope so Desley cos Franta is the same...............he did not moult like this last year but the weather has been warmer and he has been living in central heating for a year now as opposed to a garage.

Hope she is OK  ;D

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2007, 14:46:55 PM »
No, I have checked all her claws, and I dont tend to do the back ones as much as the front ones, as they dont grow as long. She is going on Wed regardless, she is looking a bit thin round her back end, and her fur is yucky - but hopefully that is just due to moulting.
Please spay your cat

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2007, 13:16:18 PM »
is it possible that one of the claws may have been cut a bit shorter than usual due to her wriggling and cut the quick ?  I have watched my ex partner (vet nurse) clip dog claws and it makes me wince ouch . I'd be afraid of accidently cutting them a bit too short  :scared:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2007, 19:09:10 PM »
WEll, she has an app for Wed, fingers crossed I get to cancel it cos the Metacam has worked. I have only seen her walking from the front today, so can't see if she is still limping.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2007, 11:41:24 AM »
Hmm, if they take that long, not sure if I want to go down that route.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2007, 20:21:32 PM »
I've still got 20 Synoquin capsules left from last May's prescription. The doseage seems to have been 2 capsules a day for 1st 6 weeks reducing thereafter to 1 capsule a day.  As we bought 90 capsules (not cheap about £35 if memory serves) we obviously tried them for 35 days and noticed no improvement  :( so gave up.  I'm a devil for not chucking out medication but comes in handy sometimes.

:hug: to Tiger

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2007, 19:34:35 PM »
Am glad to hear that Synoquin can be sprinkled on food, the girls eat separately, so that wouldn't be an issue here, and I doubt it would do Molly any harm anyway with her being 14.
Not a prob Rosella, the vet did say that, it was just that I didn't notice any limping till this Mon, so will see how she is next week. Fingers crossed the higher dose is enough for her.
Cheers Lisa
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 19:35:58 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2007, 19:29:54 PM »
Des Sorry to hear about Tiger can i just say that you are certainly NOT being paranoid though ..as Jackspratt said it just goes to show you care !!

By the way if you are interested in heated pillows look up Cherry pillows as they dont have the yucky smell the other ones do !
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2007, 19:16:13 PM »
We had Synoquin capsules for Tom which we used to sprinkle on his food but not practical now as all 3 eat together and Tom likes to graze.  I think Synoquin does take some weeks to kick in but didn't notice any improvement with Tom after a month and stopped using it.

Sorry Desley didn't mean to be alarmist but looked back through this thread and thought you had started Tiger on Metacam on 8 March which is a week ago but now see that was when you decided on Metacam if she started to limp again. 

Sorry to hear you have been unwell and v much hope you feel better soon.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2007, 18:57:19 PM »
Yeah, that is why I am not going to take her back till she has had a bit longer on the higher dose - thought I could get away with it cos she would only limp for a day or two and stop, but obviously not. Vet said if we didn't have much luck with Metacam, we could look into Synoquin or something - but I would struggle with most tablets, and I dont know if Synoquin could be crushed to go in her food, and whether she would then eat it, she wouldnt' eat Drontal in food
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 18:53:36 PM »
its normal to start on a higher dose and then reduce for maintanence, perhaps it has been enough to kill pain and her use it more thus making it worse if that makes sense but not enough to reduce inflammation ?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 18:48:31 PM »
Well, I only started giving it to her on Mon (she hadnt' been limping much until then), and I know when the others have had to have it, they had to have 3 drops for 2 days, then go down to 2, then one, I started her off on one, so will give her another couple of days on two first. Teh vet did say to give her a week on it, which would be next Mon. She is fine in herself though, she has been going out, eating well, and cos I haven't been well this week, curling up on the sofa against my legs.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 16:37:07 PM »
Hi Desley  That don't sound too good to me. 

Our Tom has 1 drop of Metacam every 2 or 3 days depending on how much discomfort he shows and the difference in his movement after about 4 or 5 hours from time he has the drop is really marked.  He had a drop this morning and is making the typing of this post very difficult as he wants some grub and he wants it NOW. He just jumped up on my lap and would have stood no chance of doing that this am.

If Tiger is limping every day now, even tho on 1 drop a day, I wouldn't wait till next week as she has already been on the drops for a week hasn't she?  Sorry really don't mean to tell gran how to suck eggs (yes I know I'm almost double your age  :rofl:) as I know how experienced you are but I wonder now if is is just arthritis and I trust your sneaking suspicion that it might be something else

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 16:14:25 PM »
WEll, I have been giving her one drop of Metacam a day this week, it hasn't made much difference and she has been limping every day, rather than just the occasional limp she had before, so will put her up to 2, and if that makes no difference, she will have to see the vet next week.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2007, 12:27:34 PM »
Thanks Desley. I was half wondering about an xray for Tom but he's fair bit older than Tiger so will skip that.  Yes I can see the sense in an xray for Tiger if limping becomes more of an issue. If it ever comes to that might be an idea to get her claws done and flea treatment and anything else that's needed at the time ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 12:07:13 PM »
Most cats have at least a sedation, as trying to get a cat to lie in one postion long enough to take an x-ray would be an issue. Plus, depending on what they are x-raying, there could be some manipulation - there was with Pebble's leg. I would be happy having it done on Tiger though, as her recent blood tests showed her organs to be fine.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 11:47:07 AM »
Sorry to be dim but does an xray have to mean a general anaesthetic?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 16:49:52 PM »
Pills are tricky with Tiger - she was limping again earlier, have checked her claws, and she doesn't seem to have any issues with them, and her claws are fine on both paws - not something I can do too often though, I did nearly get bit for it today, and have to deflea her in a while when she has forgiven me!! If it gets more frequent, I might just ask the vet to x-ray her anyway
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 16:26:26 PM »
There's some arthritis pills from New Zealand that are apparently good, but can't remember the name. Sorry!

Do you mean green lipped muscle?  Recommended by our vet but Tom didn't fancy them.  Our Tom is now on 1 Metacam drop every other day for his arthritis probs/recent limping prob and it's doing the trick.  Hope Tigger's limping doesn't get anymore frequent.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 13:45:37 PM »
I didn't check her back legs when I clipped her claws last weekend - she was getting very irate by the time I did her front ones, and she is the kind of cat who will attack you, so I have to watch how much I do in one go - will check them tonight though. Yeah, there is that prob with the painkillers, which is why if I do use them (haven't done so far), it will just be for the days she is limping rather than for a full week like the vet suggested, as I wont know if it is worse then.
YEah, she is eating well, doesn't play a lot though, but she hasn't done since coming her (her owner didn't really do much with her - he apparently couldn't even stroke her, so she does have issues, and at 13, I am not going to get her to change her ways too much!!)
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 16:29:04 PM »
If she's a cat who goes outdoors have you or the vet checked her paws for thorns, splinters etc? Do her claws need a trim? The problem with giving her painkillers is that you may mask the symptoms which should alert you.
Is she well in herself? Eating, playing etc? If so, it's probably very minor: old age aches.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 21:13:13 PM »
The vet said to try her on Metacam, and assured me that the chances of getting another cat with the same prob that Pebbles had with her leg is quite slim!! So, I am going to give her MEtacam only when she is limping, and see what happens.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 21:08:14 PM »
The lavendar ones are made of wheat I think, but as they go in microwave you need be careful what goes inside them. The lavendar smell wears off.

I am sure I have seen some that are not lavendar now.

Offline deni

• Adult Cat
  • Rowland and Macavity
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 11:10:03 AM »
I would imagine that they could be quite easy to make, perhaps filling them with baking beans, dried peas something like that :-:.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 07:44:32 AM »
Liz, it will be nothing to do with wanting more attention due to a new foster - they haven't met yet, and Tiger isn't the kind of cat who wants attention.
Deni - I have only ever seen the lavender ones, which is a shame as I could benefit from one but hate the smell of lavender!!
Molly does like to sit with her paw in the air at times, but the vet couldn't find anything wrong with her - I am just paranoid with Tiger as it was similar to Pebbles, we ignored hers cos we knew she had an old injury and she ended up losing that leg.
Please spay your cat

Offline deni

• Adult Cat
  • Rowland and Macavity
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 18:36:20 PM »
Have you tried using the bean bags that you warm in the microwave (you see them in health food stores sometimes with lavender but often non smelly ones). Obviously you need to let them cool down a bit, but they do mould themselves to the limb in question and of course there are nice cat smelly things that they love. My old cat had an achy hip joint we think from an old car accident before we had her and she absolutely adored hers.

:)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 18:20:10 PM »
I  have a little joke with my oldies about this: I tell them they've got "achesies and painses" when they look a bit stiff and rheumaticky. Like old people, they will have benign aches and stiff joints which come and go. Nothing to worry about.
Polly sometimes plays "poorly paw" when she wants attention. She lifts one paw into the air and sits staring pitifully at me. A few moments later she'll be chasing Samantha.....  ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 18:21:05 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 15:16:48 PM »
You aren't paranoid just a concerned parent!

Sweetie at 15 years young limps on her front right leg and then preceeds to bop aone two on some unsuspecting brother and then limps back on the left!

Gracie meanwhile at 17 and on the rather large maiden aunt side can go as quick as you like and doesn't sem to ail for anything.

On the lighter side our new neighbours said they saw a limping small tabby and were concerned for him - its my 3 legged wonder so we all notice something.

If it puts your mind at rest go to the vet and talk to them perhaps a couple of drops of metacam may help at least she can eat that without shredding you! 

Good luck with what ever you decide and afterall you know your furkids better than anyone and she may be on a wind up as you have another lady lodger and eants more of your attention for shredding sorry stroking!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 13:15:32 PM »
Massaging joints are out of the question - stroke Tiger for too long or in the wrong place and she will go for you - but as her owner said he couldt'n stroke her in the 13 years he had her, I am quite pleased that she will tolerate small amounts on a regular basis, and that I can read her well enough to stop before she lashes out. IT also makes tableting an issue too.
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 12:01:13 PM »
Desley, Max has this too and he's 13. He gets it after rushing around, jumping down or after having had a looooong sleep.  I used to rush off and get him a cortisone injection, but now I wait a day or two and it usually wears off. I also massage the joint (which he enjoys). There's some arthritis pills from New Zealand that are apparently good, but can't remember the name. Sorry!
You can't possibly be as paranoid and neurotic as this Cat Mum anyhow. If the vet gets upset with your questions, tough. At least it shows you care!
Hope the limping stops soon.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 10:45:04 AM »
Desley, I am a worrier too, so I feel for you  ;D

I'm sure she's fine, but discuss it with the vet if you feel it would reassure you

Déborah xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 10:43:15 AM »
Maybe you could start her on a glucosamine based joint supplement.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 00:42:58 AM »
You may find that tigger has a touch of arthritius and has jumped , run, slipped or landed badly and the joint is a bit painful. Kocka used to have this occcasionally and I have seen sasa limping once.

Joints if strained a bit even take a while to get better, I am sure she is fine especially having been checked so recently  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 22:49:21 PM »
I know, I am not normally paranoid, will leave it to Mrs Vet to see if she thinks it needs something like that. Ooh, I must be doing well - you haven't noticed I already am bonkers!!! Maybe it is just cos I dont normally have a pair of healthy oldies, and when I do it doesnt' last!! mind you, I have also never had a pair of females, always had a male/female combo (or male/female/female!!), so maybe that is the reason?
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 22:45:54 PM »
Well, it's likely she is then! Ahhh, Desley. :) It's good to worry about them it means you care - just don't drive yourself bonkers in the process! ;D

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 22:34:58 PM »
I know it is prob just something simple, I could just ask the vet if she thinks it is worth worrying about - I am up on Thurs with Lucy. She went up on the 28th Dec cos of limping, and the vet couldnt' feel anything, and had full geriatric bloods done last month, they did show she was fine.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 22:31:50 PM »
Whatever you do, don't be superstitious. That's my 'talking sense into you' bit.

Discuss with vet (as of course you will) though.

:hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 22:29:55 PM »
It's highly likely to be something that simple in a cat of 14. I'm sure it's nothing other than the natural aging process of Tigers body. Obviously, if you're still worried tomorrow, you could consider a check up. When was the last time Tiger had one?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Please help my paranoia!!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 22:24:37 PM »
Not like me at all!! Tiger keeps having an occasional day of limping on her back left leg - she went to the vets about it in Dec (I was up anyway), and the vet found nothing wrong, so the next couple of times i have just monitored it, and it goes after a day. She has started limping again tonight, I am going to have to have a word with the vet about it, but it is the same leg we had probs with on Pebbles, and she had issues for over a year before the major issues that resulted in the amputation, as we knew she had an injury so put it down to that, so while part of me thinks that as Tiger will be 14 this year, it will just be something simple like arthritis, part of me wants to ring the vets and have her x-rayed etc in case it ends up similar to Pebbles. Can someone please talk some sense into me?
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat