Author Topic: RIP baby Max: PLEASE READ UPDATE THREAD  (Read 72704 times)

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
Re: RIP baby Max: PLEASE READ UPDATE THREAD
« Reply #630 on: August 19, 2009, 20:36:34 PM »
I am so so sorry  :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
Re: RIP baby Max: PLEASE READ UPDATE THREAD
« Reply #629 on: August 19, 2009, 19:48:26 PM »
 :( :(

:grouphug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Max needs your prayers and vibes please: PLEASE READ UPDATE THREAD
« Reply #628 on: August 17, 2009, 12:11:23 PM »
So sorry  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Please see thread Kate and Swampy's Max for latest update:(

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
 :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Oh sweetheart, I have no words which can take away any of your pain, just know that I'm thinking of you, and if you need to chat, or anything at all, you know you can PM me, I know what you're going through honey xxxxx  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
 :hug: thinking of you xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
It is Max's time we think. We have called the vet to come so we can say our goodbyes at home. My baby Max deteriorated overnight. I can't write any more.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
One thing your vet could check Kate, this happened to Dragan.  As cats get older sometimes they develop a little pouch which collects the poo and prevents it from being evacuated.  Also happens to cats that get frequently constipated.

Yes, my vet said something similar when we told her about Schui not going and when we described the details she said it is ok, some cats store their poo and she said not to worry about it, it was ok for him.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Awww hunnie, your vet sounds wonderful, hope you and Max have more quality time together, I know its heartbreaking when you're watching them constantly, I know its almost impossible, but if you know his time is near, just enjoy him, cuddle him, fuss him, let him know just how much you love him  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
just want to add something. Yesterday morning OH and I took Max to the vet to have him pts. 

glad the vet is still on your side Kate

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: to you and lots of vibes too

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Think a extra large helping of these are needed  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: .
Lots of healing vibes for both boys too and hope they are aroung for a long while yet .

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat

lots of fuss, lots of love, and as little worrying as possible

I can and am doing the first two, but not sure about the third!   :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Sorry to hear that you and your OH thought it was Max's time yesterday Kate, your mind must be all over especially with your vet saying its not his time....

I agree with what Trigger has said!  ;) :Luv: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
perhaps, Kate, as you were ready to say goodbye to Max, only for your vet to say it's not yet time, you need to use that unexpected extra time to give him and yourselves a break by concentrating on the things that still work with him

lots of fuss, lots of love, and as little worrying as possible
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
It's a vet job I am afraid

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
One thing your vet could check Kate, this happened to Dragan.  As cats get older sometimes they develop a little pouch which collects the poo and prevents it from being evacuated.  Also happens to cats that get frequently constipated.

can you see this yourself or is it a vet inspection job?  :thanks:

:thanks: Teresa. Microlax apparently can increase phosphate - my vet says so, 2 others don't seem as worried. I have a tube to use if necessary but haven't dared yet. Max has normal phosphorus blood levels though so occasionally it may be ok.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 21:13:18 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
just want to add something. Yesterday morning OH and I took Max to the vet to have him pts. The vet spent more than 40 minutes looking at Max and watching him walk around the consult room. He talked us out of it, saying that while Max didn't have long to live, that he thought with our care that he could still enjoy a bit longer. Old cats, like old people, often have multiple health problems which can be managed up to a point where they just can't any more. We are going day to day.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
When Pedro was at his worst and the lactulose taken orally didnt work i used to give him microlax enemas, vet told me to try the lactulose as an enema and he had one lot which moved a bit and a second lot which I mixed with some lukewarm water to make in total 6ml, it got things moving, so I only used it this way twice in 12hours, I will add that Pedro was a healthy young male with normal kidneys etc.
I certainly cant see there being a problem if he is allowed it orally,

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
 :thanks:  I'll try that tomorrow. Is that a once a day thing or does it have to be done as often as oral (3x daily) and can you combine both as he 's quite easy to syringe lactulose down, doesn't mind much. He can still push quite hard as I've watched him obviously, just the poos are small and hard and getting stuck. He's more dehydrated of course as is getting less fluid and is on diuretics 2x daily. His breathing is a little slower now when he is asleep.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Thought it might be helpful for you to know that lactulose can safely be syringed into cats back passage and used as an enema, sticky and messy but 3 mls used as enema will be much easier on Max than taken orally  :hug:

Offline nicter

• Senior Cat
  • Nicky-Mum to Scamp Bonnie, Willum Rossi & Poppet
  • Slave to: Alfie. Poppet. Rossi. Willum Merlin
lactulose will only soften poo it doesnt increase peristaltic action which is the muscles needed to push it out.Poor old Max .. how much more can he endure  :(
RIP Tigger Button Whisky Maisie, Merlin and Alfie Pawprints on my heart forever

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
The Zantac's for stomach acid as pepcid doesn't seem to work that well on him. The CRF website says it may help with constipation. I don't know - it's what is really setting Max back. This afternoon we had another situation to deal with as Max strained away and  couldn't get the poo out (don't read on if you are sensitive  :sick:). We had to syringe some warm water into his bum with a little 1ml syringe and bingo a small event happened on the puppy pad and he felt better. What is worrying is that the poos that are getting stuck are really not big. He is having lots of lactulose and is eating again (steroids maybe).  This afternoon we could actually see the flipping poo right near the 'exit' so it was easier than yesterday.
I don't know how to resolve this or whether to put ? mls up his bum of lukewarm water or to give industrial amounts of lactulose. He's like a very sick old man who needs enemas all the time. Poor Max.
This is a new development as last wed he went quite normally.

The vet said something about it's not constipation but it's his kidney toxins making it harder for him to poo. I don't get that one, it certainly looks like constipation from here. It even makes him walk in a wobbly way, which is also on the CRF site.

Max just gobbled a small plate of Applaws chicken and pumpkin. We can't get canned pumpkin in the UK can we as the americans use it for blocked kitties?

Offline nicter

• Senior Cat
  • Nicky-Mum to Scamp Bonnie, Willum Rossi & Poppet
  • Slave to: Alfie. Poppet. Rossi. Willum Merlin
What are you giving the zantac for swampmaxmum ? In humans its used as an antacid and it can also have a side effect of constipation in humans so Im guessing it could in cats too. :-:
RIP Tigger Button Whisky Maisie, Merlin and Alfie Pawprints on my heart forever

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Yes his tum's not right which is a big set back for him. The vet put him on steroids though which does help him. But he hates lactulose and he has to have it daily. We'll just see how we go with him, we've had a few close shaves in the last few days and he has rallied.

I bought some Zantac pills but they are 75mgs as you say. What is the cat dose? The other thing I thought of (maybe should ask on a general thread as it applies equally to all vile tasting meds) was to put the zantac liquid into a couple of gelcaps and give him those - do you know if that is ok? I've also thought of it for steroids and Swampy's selgian, both of which cause foam if tasted, but don't want to hinder their absorption.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
Sending lots of pooing vibes  :hug:.  I dont think you can underestimate the importance of pooing - I've noticed that Korky's bad days are when he hasn't had a poo. He did a lovely poo for me on Friday night  :) and again this morning and he's a lot happier now.  As you say, it seems a travesty that the so-called 'trivial' things like constipation and nausea can tip them over the edge when they've coped with so much.
Sorry I don't know anything about Micralax but I do know you can get Zantac as a tablet (without prescription).  The problem is the smallest size they do is 75mg which makes cutting it into cat sized doses extremely difficult.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Sending tons of pooing vibes to darling Max~~~~I do hope he goes soon!  :Luv: :hug:

It is scary what could of happened Monday, like I say there are so many twists from "the norm" in illnesses, hopefully this will settle down for him! Thinking of you all!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Dragan's Zantac was always liquid and smells very minty.   Come on little Maxie a nice big poo:) :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
we took him to another vet that was open (not vet's now) this afternoon who prescribed Micralax. My own vet said it's dangerous for CRF but this vet says not. We haven't given it yet as Max is exhausted. We gave him more lactulose and zantac. Does anyone know about it?
Can you get zantac in pill form in the UK? The liquid made him foam.

I am so tired I can't see. It seems so obvious to me that diuretics would constipate and I didn't give him regular lactulose, partly because lactulose makes him feel unwell. The ondansetron could have affected his brain making him unable to go (acc to other vet: a possibility as the first side effect listed for people is constipation).

Please please send poo vibes.  We nearly had Max pts, imagine if a lot of his unhappiness is down to something as simple as not pooing.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Oh dear Kate you really are having a bad time of it with this roller coaster ride your on, i wish i could wave a magic wand and make it all go away but unfortunately i cant,  :( all i can do is send lots of positive vibes for both your special boys and  :hug: :hug: for you and OH :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
He had a good night and ate well after all the meds but this morning he went to the tray, strained hard but nothing happened 2 or 3 times and started to hyperventilate through his mouth. We thought his time had come and rushed him to the vet prepared to say goodbye. The vet thinks otherwise and unblocked his bladder, but said it wasn't that - but didn't unblock his bowels which he said Max had a small poo in. (see enema thread if you can help please).  It seems to be a much greater problem than the vet realises.
OH and I are completely overwrought from all the emotional rollercoaster. 

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
The vet was very nice and understanding. We had a long chat. He thinks Max doesn't have long, but suggested we try the new meds and some vit B and laurabolin injection to see if it helps him feel a bit stronger. He said Max isn't in any pain and we can take our time to be sure whether the meds work or if there's no longer anything we can do. Plus things can change as he is astonished that Max is still with us after 2 months and his creatinine stabilised. The current problems are more from his pleural effusion he thinks.
There is a risk to what we are trying, but it is one that is worth taking.  Max is weak but he ate a little bit of fresh chicken tonight and is curled up on the futon with Swampy, which is lovely.  It really is a rollercoaster and very tiring for both of us.  Please send prayers and vibes for baby Max.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
It does sound like his nausea is in episodes rather than continuous..... Im glad he perked up after you being worried out of your skin for him!

I think illness and meds are a rollercoaster Kate, each patient will react/look/manage differently so its really hard to say that a certain thing is happening to him!  :Crazy:

I hope you get something positive from your chat with the vet! Best of luck for you all!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
good luck  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Max had a very bad night from 3am and was very weak. He hadn't eaten last night either. So I thought his time had come and I just held him and kept telling him I loved him. Then at 5.30 am he just suddenly felt better, started to eat and has had 3 little meals since, including one he miaowed for and has been walking about normally.
Does CRF nausea normally come in waves? He is so different from my 2 other CRF cats who had bad coats, were totally skinny, drank and peed constantly and had a predictable deterioration and I knew exactly when it was too much.
I know that he needs more fluids than I can give him. I am going to try to get the vet to concentrate in our 15 mins today on what is best to do for Max.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Maybe it was something different then? You would think if it were one of the meds causing it then it would happen all the time!  :Crazy:

Good luck for your chat with the vet tomorrow! Love to you all!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
I've had to make an appointment for tomorrow to chat about it. OH will be furious as it's yet more money but can't see another way.  Max got into bed with me again last night and is able to sleep again. Very weird.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 10:07:36 AM by swampmaxmum »

Link to CatChat