Author Topic: Mounting  (Read 1237 times)

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
Re: Mounting
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 12:15:28 PM »
Lokiie tried this on Tilly once and once only.  :Crazy: As hes the youngest I suppose he thought he'd try to get up in the pecking order.  It did not work.  tilly managed to twist round and boxed him roundly on the face, hissed and scratched his nose.  He ran, she went off to a dignified and disgruntled nap.

its obviously power and if its not too much and neither animal is upset leave it.  if it does get too much you have to try and stop it, cos then it becomes bullying.  Or maybe you wont have to do anything Pagen might do a "Tilly" on Milo :evillaugh:

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 09:50:42 AM »
My parent's cats, Sam and Alfie (siblings) are both 12 now, but a couple of years ago, Alfie kept mounting Sam. We found it amusing at first as Alfie is generally the submissive one, but poor Sam started to get quite upset as it was happening at night, and on a regular basis. Eventually we stepped in and separated them, as Sam really was getting distressed.

The mounting episodes decreased over time and eventually stopped. I would recommend intervening if and when Pagan gets quite upset, and if it is happening on a regular basis.

We also tried Feliway but I'm not sure that made much of a difference. Who knows?!

Lynds 

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 12:59:01 PM »
Swampy confesses he's done the same thing occasionally to Max (particularly when the latter has been yowling). I've always just left it alone. I suppose it's a problem if he does it all the time though! You're right, it looks decidedly iffy  :censored:

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Milo and Pagan
Mounting
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 20:23:14 PM »
From what iv read male cats will grip the scruff of a kitten and do a mounting stance to assert dominance. Milo has been doing this with Pagan. Generally they get along fine. Sometimes playing nicely, sometimes sleeping, sometimes Milo wanting to sleep and Pagan chasing his tail  :evillaugh: But all of a sudden Milo will mount her and really hold her scruff in his mouth.

Should i let them get on with it? Iv read that i should as its just him telling her whos boss. But it looks awful and she will sometimes squeal, which is where i step in and clap my hands.

Am i doing right?

Link to CatChat