Author Topic: smallest arthritis tablets?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: smallest arthritis tablets?
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 19:17:09 PM »
The print is too small on the bottle of Cosequin DS Cat but think it's 250mgs per capsule. It says (I think it says) 1/2 capsule for cats under 5kgs and a capsule for cats from 5 - 10 kgs.
Max weighs just over 5 kgs I think. He has early CRF. He is noticeably limping when he gets up after a long snooze.
Do you think it is safe to give him a whole capsule, either every day or every other day? He won't eat wet food regularly enough for me to put 1/2 capsule powder in and know he's going to nosh it.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 18:55:31 PM »
thanks. I'll give it a go. Max often spits out his lactulose. he seems to have a small throat (is that possible?!). He also has never eaten cheese - what kind should I try? Now if there was any chicken flavoured cheese :)

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 08:35:25 AM »
I got synoquin for the vets and that was a capsule. I tried everything to get them in Mogs. I mixed it with food but she ouldnt eat, I opened the capsule and mixed it with water and syringed it in and I tried the whole capsule route and basically Mogs got so wound up with it all she was sick.
Desley suggested Seraquin so I got some from vet uk. Mogs now begs for them and actually refuses whiskars treats in favour of them so I would definately recommend them
love
Tab

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 21:49:20 PM »
I use Seraquin - they dont seem small, but are palatable - it took Rosie 3 weeks to realise she could chew them herself but you can either break them up or mix with food - they have chicken protein and yeast in to make them smell nicer to cats.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 17:35:49 PM »
Mix in a blob of cheese? Or in his lactulose? Or into water and squirt in his mouth. They do seem to work  ;D

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
smallest arthritis tablets?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 15:10:18 PM »
I got Max some cosequin from vet uk but it's a big capsule and he's supposed to eat 1/2 of it a day (I think; the print's too small to read!). Trouble is, half the time I don't know if he's going to eat wet food or just some of it and leave some (usually the bit with the medicine in of course  :innocent:). Can't mix it in with his dry food. I think he'd choke if I gave him a whole capsule once every 2 days anyhow as they are quite big.
What's the smallest pill I can get which works for arthritis please?

Link to CatChat