Author Topic: 5 Months old Kitten has diareha  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: 5 Months old Kitten has diareha
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 19:40:38 PM »
How's he doing?

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 19:39:27 PM »
As others have said, If he has not been wormed recently then go with that asap and then down the route of no food for 24hrs and bland diet initially.

If that doesn't help get him into the vet for a checkup.  He could be intolerant to some of the processed foods you are feeding too so I would speak to your vet about this also.

Hope he feels much better soon though.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 21:24:46 PM »
I'll echo the others when I say vet first if only to rule out other things. My Z's just come back from the vets due to vomiting 5-6 times over 3 days.  I was told to starve him for 24 hrs, now he's on the bland food stage..... serve chicken or whitefish with rice or potatoes in a variety of combinations, as Angie says little and often for tiny pusses. I put down extra bowls of water round the house to ensure he drinks plenty (especially true for your kitty as hes only ickle!  :Luv:)
I've just found out that Whiskas is a common culprit for gut troubles as well as cereal based biscuit mixes. My guys do ok on the Felix and i'm switching over to a rice-based biccie mix (PAH premium). They also do kitten mixes. If you go on thier new website there is a full list of ingredients (I really dislike these vague 'animal derivatives' a lot of companies put on the packaging!)
I also made the too much tuna mistake as well (it's hard not to want to spoil them when they arrive  ;))- it's a treat food due to it's richness.
There does seem to be a lot of runny tums lately... must be one of those things  :-:
Here's the link:
http://www.petsathome.com/

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 19:51:29 PM »
A vet will tell you to starve him for 24 hours then start off with something bland like cooked chicked or white fish fed little and often. Make sure he is drinking water (no milk) - in fact add some to the food so that you know he is getting liquids.
If this doesn't sort it then a trip to the vets as soon as they open, it will help to tell the vet you have starved for 24 hours.

It could well be the tuna was too rich for him, this has happened to me in the past when I have given new foster cats too much rich food.

Has he be wormed recently?

More cats seem to be getting the runs and food intolerances - I'd love to know what they are putting in the food nowadays. Mine can't have anything like purina as its got too much cereal in.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 03:09:07 AM »
I dont know the answer to your question buty suggest you get him to a vet tomorrow being its abank holiday.

Kittens can get dehydrated quickly and its always best to be cautious when this happens.

Offline Steve1977

• Adult Cat
5 Months old Kitten has diareha
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 00:49:43 AM »
Hiya Folks

I was wondering if people could possibly confirm anything with regards to our kitten Binx (i still havent posted pics yet...will do soon! :) )

Basically he didnt have a very good start in life and sometimes he can be jumpy and other times he isnt. Sometimes when he seems nervous and being held, he can be quite flatulent. To be honest, this hasnt occured much lately but i thought i better mention it because...

These past 2 days or so he has had awful diareha. We'v never been in the room when he's done his bit but he keeps on getting it on the floor, on the side of the litter tray but never in there. Now that isnt really the issue because his health is more important, but his other behaviour is not vindictive of a severley ill cat because he loves playing with our other cat Saffi, when he enjoys being stroked he purrs very loudly and he's eating well and drinking. But this diareha is a tad worrying - bloody stinks too! I suppose its getting us used to this before we have kids! (all those nappies! hehe)

But what do you think it could be? We havent changed there food, althogh we did give them a fair bit of Tuna in the week so perhaps this has caused it? How long would it take there digestive system to get back to normal do you think? Has anyone else had this issue where the cat is seemingly sprightly and they have diareha then something awful has occured?

Link to CatChat