Author Topic: 9 Year old cat poorly- potassium deficiency  (Read 5735 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: 9 Year old cat poorly- potassium deficiency
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 15:24:49 PM »
Just a thought, especially with the mention of the enlarged adrenal glands: do cats get Addison's Disease? Worth googling.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Topsythecat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mikey
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 16:47:18 PM »
I have to take Vitamin b myself or i become tired and poorly- have to take at least 4 pills of the supermarket brand so i know what you mean! My mum has anemia (severely)but didn't know they were connected until now (I do have badly ridged nails, cold all the time etc...Think I will pay a visit to the doctor). Seems me and Rolo have a lot in common!

His levels were 2.4 yesterday, so they were just slipping into a crisis. Now he is on a drip things should be improving. He already takes quite a bit of medication but the vet spoke about increasing it which I hope he does. He has enlarged adrenal glands and that seems to be the root of the problem, however, we don't know why they are enlarged. Obviously, the vet and ourselves are keen to find out. :scared:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 10:28:06 AM »
I got given some potassium powder to add to food (3 pinches per day) for lethargy, if necessary. Haven't used it too much but it didn't cause sore stomach like the iron liquid did (Visorbin). Rolo's levels must be very low though if he's really dropping his head. The renal diets contain increased potassium if he'll eat them, but sounds like he's going to need more than that. Poor wee Rolo. Hope the vet can help him feel a bit more energetic. He's probably anaemic too? For the mo' I've quit on the Visorbin because of the side effects, but have you considered regular vitamin B injections as they do help (a bit)? Vit B tablets aren't strong enough. Swampy had the same dose as me and it showed me not to waste my pennies on supermarket vit B for wimmin tabs!
lots of positive vibes for Rolo too.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 08:42:37 AM »
It says here the potassium deficiency is rarely diet related.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-potassium/AN01143
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 08:26:40 AM »
Sending positive vibes to Rolo and yourself~~~~~~~ :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 08:08:41 AM »
Sorry I was tired last night and getting my Potassium ans Phosphorus mixed up - Although as you say, they are linked. I think cats with CRF can lose potassium in the urine.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Topsythecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 00:33:59 AM »
Thanks for that, i will let you know what happens with Rolo :thanks:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 23:37:31 PM »
Fabes has CRF and low potassium and is on 2 Tumil K tablets a day (amongst many others!).  He also has SubQ fluids and they have had potassium added.

He initially had Kaminox liquid (mix of Potassium, Vit B and iron) but didn't like it so I asked for a tablet alternative.

Some of the prescription foods have higher potassium levels and so it may be an idea to ask your vet for one of these.

The site Mark put the link on is great for CRF cats but may give you some ideas too - look at the nutritional requirements section

I believe CRF cats have to have low phosphorous levels in their diet, potassium levels are to be monitored and may/may not require supplements

xx

Offline Topsythecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 22:43:44 PM »
My other half believes it is CRF related. However, I had a number of cats who I thought passed away from CRF when I was younger.(their bodily functions stopped and they became dehydrated?)  Was that CRF then? One poor cat (Tigre) had one kidney and lived until he was 23.

The vet did mention that the adrenal glands were slightly enlarged in January when he was diagnosed.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 22:24:21 PM »
I have no advice, but hope that you find something that helps him.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 22:16:04 PM »
I don't really know anything about Potassium deficiency but I have a cat with CRF (Chronic renal failure) which requires a diet with low potassium. There is a list here that give ptoassium content of various foods - we go for the lower end but maybe the foods at the bottom end would help?

http://www.felinecrf.org/tinned_food.htm

Offline Topsythecat

• Adult Cat
9 Year old cat poorly- potassium deficiency
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 22:10:34 PM »
Rolo is almost 9. He started having problems with his electrolytes (potassium) at the beginning of the year, his head was drooped forward and he had to be taken to the vets as an emergency and put on a drip.

He has been stabilised on Prilactone (10mg) once a day and Tumil K twice a day for the last three months. However, he was starting to droop forward again and we took him back in to the vets today, he was readmitted and put on a drip. Apparently his levels are still a bit low.

Obviously, we hope he can be put on a slightly higher dose and will come out in a few days. Can you give me any other tips that would help us such as diet etc??? Also, does anybody have a cat with a similar problem? :scared:

Link to CatChat