Author Topic: Homer - poo problems  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Homer - poo problems
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 20:54:11 PM »
Hi Yvonne,

How's Homer's toileting problems?  Hope he has gone back to the latter tray rather than the coal bucket.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 20:46:19 PM »
Hi.

dont know if this is helpful but it might help if you when furbabe opens their bowels to place a little of the offending offering in the new litter tray or transfer some used litter into the new hooded tray. also take the flip door of the front. The smell of the cat excreta may help link the new tray with being a place to do his business.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 20:20:38 PM »
Yvonne
What are you doing with the poop when you find it?
Hopefully you are putting it in the litter tray and then gently placing Homer in the tray, I also take hold of a paw and get then to try to cover it.
Having recently been through hell with the phantom piddle and poopers I empathise;one thing that helped also was changing to a soft paper litter.The two kittens who were still dirty were put in a pen full of litter trays  which were gradually reduced. All now clean but its a gradual process of reverting back to the wood based litter I normally use.
Also much as I felt like crying I smiled about it and wrote it all on a thread,it really got me through.
Vet check is advisable,its just possible he associates his tray with pain.
Good Luck,you`ll get there in time  :hug:

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 19:34:41 PM »
I bought some different litter today, I shall try that.  He has taken to doing his busines in the coal bucket which I suppose is not as bad as doing it in the corner of the room.  He does not actually have a pooey bum.                 
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 16:20:56 PM »
I'd confine him to a cage when he wasn't supervised.

I agree and that is something we do once established there are no underlying problems, However, as mentioned it can be a Manx cat think some do have back end problems. Possibly from inbreeding which has led to spine problems and I expect the dirty bum could be indirectly linked to this. There were so many at a sanctuary I visited all with pooy bums.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 16:24:26 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 14:16:06 PM »
He needs to get out of this habit quickly.
I'd confine him to a cage when he wasn't supervised.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 21:02:00 PM »
I have two trays one with a hood and one without - both are spotless because they have not been used for a week.  I will try some softer litter but I am not hopeful.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 19:40:20 PM »
Remove the hood for now, mine hate hoods as much i would prefer one to stop so much mess being made but id rather poop be where it should  :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 16:41:35 PM »
I would suggest a vet check to ensure there are no underlying problems. However, I remember  when we were adopting a cat from the MSPCA in Foxdale we were  told that Manx cats are often 'dirty' with their back end. I also saw this in Manx cats/kittens at the Mann Cat Sanctuary at Santon. Mind you I have to say I was disgusted at the state of some of the cats there.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 16:44:07 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 16:30:21 PM »
Yvonne i really dont know much about this but i do know that "manx" is actually abit like a form of spinabifida and it has been known for them to have issues associated with this relating to faecal issues, just make sure its not actually a medical issue rather than a behavioural one. :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 15:47:38 PM »
Could be he is finding it hard to get in, turn around and settle with the flap on the door. Have noticed Smidgen occasionally sitting there self-consciously with the flap resting on his rump and his head out the door (tres cute, by the way). If he used it to start with, and won't now, that seems the most obvious possibility. I am assuming you are doing all the normal things like ensuring litter is fresh, not using new litter type/texture etc, no new animals or people in the house and so forth ...

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
Homer - poo problems
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 15:44:08 PM »
Hi everybody - not a pleasant subject but Homer is having a bit of a relapse and will not use his litter tray,  I dont know why, and we are discovering poo everywhere.

Invested in a lovely hooded litter tray after hearing remarks about privacy on this forum, it looks very smart but he hates it.  He would use the tray when he first came to us but not now, any ideas anybody?

Homer is 4 months old   :thanks:

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Link to CatChat