Author Topic: Feeding cat with thyroid and liver probs  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
Re: Feeding cat with thyroid and liver probs
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 11:54:13 AM »
Sorry havent got no advice but gotta say Ziggy is just beautiful  :Luv2:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 11:45:32 AM »
Glad the gorgeous Ziggy is enjoying his food again.

Offline xdebsx

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 09:44:36 AM »
Ziggy has put on some much needed weight and is currently loving whiskas senior food which he would not touch when iv brought before, he still wont touch the renal food, thanks for suggestions, i very helpful site , wish id known of it before. Some great topics and lovely pics.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 22:23:34 PM »
AT his age, I would just give him what he wants, they can have a long time with liver and thyroid problems - I had a cat with raised liver enzymes who had nearly a year before anything got worse, and she rarely ate 'special food'. It might also be worth trying different kinds of renal food, and I am not sure if Royal Canin do a liver diet, years ago Hills had discontinued theirs, but it might have started up again. Good luck
Please spay your cat

Offline xdebsx

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 16:07:58 PM »
THanks so much for your helpful replies x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 14:30:21 PM »
Hi, I'm so sorry Ziggy has so many problems, but you are in the right place as people on here are amazing. I was told not to give tuna for liver problems as it's a bit rich, but oily fish is probably good (although my vet said not only fish as it's not got enough nutrients to support an old and ill cat). Have you tried (my vet swears by it) those little ringpull cans of (human) sardines in tomato sauce? If he won't eat k/d minced chicken or the pouches as they are, you could try blending either the Hills or the RC chicken renal pouches so it's just able to be licked up. Hills also do a very easily eaten, quite smelly food in their Science range - Senior turkey pate. You could try it and if Ziggy thinks it's horrible, they'll take it back (if you get a sample can or two from your vet).  It's quite sticky but smooth, no hard bits. Mine prefer it to the chicken flavour in the same range, which has more minced hard bits. As senior food, it's ok in phosphorus (twice renal food, but 0.6 per 100g which is not bad). Wet food may be easier on him than dry.
The problem with livers being dodgy is that they tend to get sick on ordinary cat food, even ones they enjoy, as the gravy etc is too rich. I hope you find something he likes and that he can tolerate, poor little guy.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 14:02:09 PM »
Hiya and welcome to Purrs  :hug:

My boy Max is on renal food as well, the biscuits are not a problem, he'll eat them all day every day if I let him, but its very hit and miss with the wet foods, and like Ziggy, one day he'll eat it fine, the next day he'll ignore it completely  :(

The ones which go down best here are the RC chicken and tuna flavour pouches, but I also managed to track down alu-trays of a food called Specific, which is more the texture of Supermeat/pate, so sometimes that goes down better than the RC stuff.

Its also worth getting some 'ordinary' senior food in, as its lower in protein and phosperus, that way you can check if apetite is low  generally, or whether its just low for the prescription food.  I'm also of the opinion that some food is better than none, even if its not quite what the vet wants them to eat  ;)

We'd love to see some pics of your babe  :Luv:

Clare
x

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 13:24:56 PM »
 Hi, my neighbours cat is called Ziggy too!, I have had 2 cats with thyroid problems (and myself!) but mine weren't too fussy with their food.  However my present cat has renal failure but he won't touch the renal food.   He has lost weight but my vet said it is more important he eats something.  Both my cats just love Whiskas supermeat, neither have teeth btw Byron is 24 and Schui is an old boy but don't know his age.  I don't think it is an ideal food but they love it so much so they get what they want, they also like bits of what we have or even packet chicken and ham.  I think the oily fish is a good idea and many of my cats have loved prawns.  I think it's just try different things really and you seem to be doing that, best of luck with finding something Ziggy likes xx
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 13:42:37 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 13:22:15 PM »
Welcome, I'm sure you will soon get lots of replies and suggestions
Chrissie

Offline xdebsx

• Kitten
Feeding cat with thyroid and liver probs
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 13:07:58 PM »
Hi, im new on here and this site was suggested by someone on another forum. I have A 17 yr old cat , ziggy is on thyroid pills and liver pills, the vet has asked me to keep him on the pouches of renal food from vets but he wont touch it, what he will eat one day the next day he wont, so i have a variety of cat foods plus chicken,tuna,sardines,kippers,mackeral, all of which he will nibble at some days. Just wondered if anyone has similar probs and any suggestions on any food that i may not have tried to tempt him to eat. The vet said he prob only got few months left :'(so i wont him to have whatever he needs.Thanks for any info x

Link to CatChat