Author Topic: greedy kitten  (Read 4525 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: greedy kitten
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 19:28:12 PM »
Its very strange to see something so small (and cute  :Luv:) so incredibly angry!  :scared: :scared:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 08:04:09 AM »
Iv had bad food aggression at 5 weeks of age so it can occur, poor thing probably cant believe his luck  :(

Thats interesting, I didn't know they could get food aggression that young.
Please spay your cat

Offline zevxev

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 14:53:13 PM »
Hi
Thanks I will have a word with the vet. My kitten is just over 5 months old now and he was wormed just a month ago. He doesn't seem as bad now,when we put food down for him  he doesn't wolf it down as quickly as he did he Eats a bit then goes back.  He dose tend to follow us around the kitchen at meal times.I suppose he will get out of that habit when he realises he's not getting anything. He's still learning, can be demanding for attention at times bless him he is quit a boisterous kitten. He has his op next month so perhaps he will quieten down a bit , our older cat will welcome that lol.
zev

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 22:25:47 PM »
I agree Des, I meant before they were taken in by the rescue.

My visitor came to us in a poor state and jsut ate and ate. Thankfully she has settled

At 3 months old, I bet the kitten was either born in a rescue, or taken to one while very young, I doubt one that young was straying long enough to cause normal stray eating issues.

Iv had bad food aggression at 5 weeks of age so it can occur, poor thing probably cant believe his luck  :(
Zevxev - If the granules you had were Panacur i would ask for another type eg milbemax as i find it to be rather useless for worms. Have treated kittens 3 times with panacur and then got a large delivery of roundworm after they are big enough for some drontal  >:( it just isnt cutting the mustard for me  :tired:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 15:02:26 PM »
Desley is right, kittens should be wormed very regularly. Every 2 weeks up until 12 weeks and then every month up until 6 months. Then, I would arrange a consultaion with your vet to assess how often your cat will need worming. Some cats need worming every month where as other are ok quarterly- depends on heir habits, hunting etc.
Milbermax is a very good wormer which can be bought from your vet but if you don't want to pay for a consultation, then Pets at Home sell Drontal which is a fairly good wormer but do check that you get the correct dosage for the kitten's weight.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 11:42:49 AM »

My visitor came to us in a poor state and jsut ate and ate. Thankfully she has settled

At 3 months old, I bet the kitten was either born in a rescue, or taken to one while very young, I doubt one that young was straying long enough to cause normal stray eating issues.
Please spay your cat

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 20:56:21 PM »
Was he a rescue cat because he may be eating all he can get his paws on because he had trouble getting food at one stage. If so it should settle :hug:

It's a fair point but I've had my rescue cat for nearly 3 months and he's still a greedy wee thing. He'd be Jabba The Hut by now if I allowed it.  :rofl: :rofl:

My other rescue cat was also greedy for the first month, but she settled down nicely.

:)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 19:24:52 PM »
Gizmo is a complete gannet , and he is wormed every six weeks!! We have ha to start feeding him seperately and Beavis has ha to get used to eating when its there as we cant leave food down anymore or Gizzy wont be able to fit through the cat flap! :-[

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 19:18:16 PM »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 17:58:51 PM »
Kittens should be wormed monthly at that age, and in fact worming guidelines have changed to advise all cats are wormed monthly. Eating all they can is normally found with ex-strays rather than kittens who were brought up in a rescue.
Please spay your cat

Offline zevxev

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 16:40:33 PM »
Yes we got him from a animal shelter, So perhaps you've have  it on the head there, didn't think of that thanks x

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 12:47:19 PM »
Was he a rescue cat because he may be eating all he can get his paws on because he had trouble getting food at one stage. If so it should settle :hug:

Offline zevxev

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 11:26:42 AM »
Hi,
    Yes he was wormed less than two months ago. The vet gave us some powder to put in his food. I think maybe he is just a greedy kitten. But will keep an eye on him and ask the vets advise if he carries on.Thanks for all your replies
zev xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 14:31:52 PM »
You wont notice worms in his poo until there is a really bad problem with them  :sick:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 22:50:28 PM »
Had he been wormed before you got him and has he been wormed since he's been with you? If not, its likely he will have worms, so I'd ask your vet for a wormer suitable for a kitten that age.

What food does he get? At 3 months old, he should be having 3-4 meals a day anyway, good quality wet kitten food.

Offline spinningfishwife

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 22:40:16 PM »
How much does he actually eat in a day, if given free rein?

My five month old kitten eats a lot...four or five pouches of wet food,  a full bowl of dried food, a 1/3 of a bottle of kitten milk and as much else as he can scrounge or scavange off plates.  He poops at least three times a day. He's not particularly big (neither are his mum or sister though) but is extremely active and looks very fit and trim and healthy to me. I don't recall our last kittens eating as much at this age, but I'm kind of assuming that he's like my lanky lively seven year old..it takes a lot of calories to keep up that level of activity plus grow all the muscle and bone etc to get to adulthood. My daughter eats nearly as much as her father, but I don't think of her as greedy, just needing the nutrients. It would be different if she was getting tubby or conversely losing weight, or if she didn't seem well despite the food.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 22:41:06 PM by spinningfishwife »

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 22:32:50 PM »
Hi Zev,

it does no harm to have the wee fella checked by a vet, but it just sounds like he's a wee greedy guts. I personally wouldn't leave food down all the time as cats can over eat, just like dogs.

He's pooping so much as he's eating so much, so I wouldn't worry about that, as long as his poos are healthy.

I got Nobo when he was 10 months old, which I appreciate is a lot older than 3 months and he was exactly the same; however I was advised he's just a greedy little cat. I now moderate his food and he gets 3 small meals a day (wet cat food called Applaws -  I think you can get this for kittens too) and some Orijen if he's been a good boy, which these days isn't that often!

Lynds  :Luv:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 20:54:35 PM »
Have you had him checked by a vet?

Offline zevxev

• Adult Cat
greedy kitten
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 20:37:18 PM »

Hi
I have a 3 month old kitten who is constantly hungry. We can't seem to keep him full. As soon as we either go in the fridge or cupboard he's there wanting food. Checked his poop doesn't seem to have worms. But he dose seem to poop quite a lot for such a young cat. Is this normal for a growing kitten. Someone once told me to keep his dish full and he will eat when he wants it.Well if we did that he would just eat it all up. He also seems to be constantly searching the kitchen floor in case he finds some food that may of been dropped. Not sure what to do.
zev

Link to CatChat