Author Topic: Advice for a new cat owner please !  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Advice for a new cat owner please !
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 18:14:31 PM »
Great  ;D

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 18:12:28 PM »
Did the rescue microchip Thomas? If not its really worth getting him done, it doesnt hurt the cat and costs about £20  ;D Get this done before he goes out and make sure if you move house/change numbers you keep the company up to date
Yes hes been microchiped ! Thanks for advice ! ;)
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 16:35:16 PM »
Did the rescue microchip Thomas? If not its really worth getting him done, it doesnt hurt the cat and costs about £20  ;D Get this done before he goes out and make sure if you move house/change numbers you keep the company up to date

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 02:45:51 AM »
oh and another question !  thomas seems to sleep alot in the day !  is that normal for a 3 year old ?? :sneaky:

On average an adult cat sleeps 16 hours a day  ;)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 20:31:28 PM »
Memphis (4.5 months old now), sleeps alllllllllllll afternoon and most of the evening, then suddenly at 10pm he is wide awake  and demands play time.  He goes bananas, zooming around the house, playing with his mouses. Only thing is I like to go to bed at 10 :censored:

He get's up really early in the morning too, has a play, harasses all the other family members, comes and wakes me up. Has breakfast, plays like a loony then sleeps  :evillaugh:. Eats, plays some more and that's him done for the afternoon.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 20:21:42 PM »
Bertie is three - he's always asleep!  ;D

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 20:07:11 PM »
That's normal for a cat full stop! They tend to get more active just about the time you need them to be inside, and want to go out. Cats in the wild will normally hunt at dusk and dawn.
Thanks !  yes your right - when its bed time its hard to get him to go into the kitchen for lights out - he seems to go a bit wild and want to play !   :Crazy:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 20:02:30 PM »
That's normal for a cat full stop! They tend to get more active just about the time you need them to be inside, and want to go out. Cats in the wild will normally hunt at dusk and dawn.

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 19:59:27 PM »
oh and another question !  thomas seems to sleep alot in the day !  is that normal for a 3 year old ?? :sneaky:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 19:53:42 PM »
Hi Betsy

I've got a Thomas too. He will be 18 this month so your Thomas only a babe. Our Thomas rarely used the trays indoor until very recently but there was always the odd occasion when they came in handy so best to have trays indoor especially if you are going to keep him in at night.  If he is allowed outside, you'll probably find he uses outdoors most of the time

Thomas just looking out of window doesn't sound like he is that fussed really about going out. I had a pud who threw himself at the window as soon as he arrived, that's desperation, so I hope you will do what's best and keep him in for the 4 to 6 weeks suggested. Believe me, if you don't and he wanders off, well you just don't want to go there.

When you do come to let him out, let him out hungry so he will want to come back soon for some food.  I didn't with one of mine and sat by the back door till the wee hours (13 hours he was gone!) worried out of my mind.

:welcome: to Purrs Betsy.  Hope you and Thomas have as many years together as me and my boy.
Thank you !  wow 18 years old !!!!  gosh.  thanks for the advice and yes i do intend to keep him in for 4-6 weeks and have been advised to send him out hungry .  Thanks for the advice.
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 18:57:19 PM »
Hi Betsy

I've got a Thomas too. He will be 18 this month so your Thomas only a babe. Our Thomas rarely used the trays indoor until very recently but there was always the odd occasion when they came in handy so best to have trays indoor especially if you are going to keep him in at night.  If he is allowed outside, you'll probably find he uses outdoors most of the time

Thomas just looking out of window doesn't sound like he is that fussed really about going out. I had a pud who threw himself at the window as soon as he arrived, that's desperation, so I hope you will do what's best and keep him in for the 4 to 6 weeks suggested. Believe me, if you don't and he wanders off, well you just don't want to go there.

When you do come to let him out, let him out hungry so he will want to come back soon for some food.  I didn't with one of mine and sat by the back door till the wee hours (13 hours he was gone!) worried out of my mind.

:welcome: to Purrs Betsy.  Hope you and Thomas have as many years together as me and my boy.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 18:47:46 PM »
I like mine because Bertie looks so funny with his head poking out  :rofl:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 18:06:14 PM »
Life is easier with a hooded tray. It can make it simpler to find a location for it, even putting it somewhere an ordinary one might accidentally get trodden in! They tend to keep the smell down as well.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 18:04:57 PM »
With the weather as bad as it is right now, you might find that Thomas doesn't fancy going out at all some days, so you definitely need that litter tray.  My Minnie is the original outdoor cat, having been semi-feral up until I adopted her in June, but even she asked to go out for a wee yesterday and then changed her mind when I opened the door and opted for the tray instead!  ;D

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 18:04:19 PM »
I know puds who go out and still use the tray for their toilet needs.....tis much easier to keep a litter tray clean than items of furniture/carpets etc....if the smell bothers you you could try using a hooded litter tray  ;)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 17:58:09 PM »
yes you should keep him in at least four weeks. He has to learn to know you and to answer to his name so that you can call him if he does not come when you want him inside. You can not catch a cat outdoors cos if you pursue it it will simply run away, and make a game of it. And yes, you should keep a litter tray for him when he is in at night. He should be inside before dark and not go out till its light - that is a long time to keep your legs crossed in winter  :rofl:

He will also be getting food in the evenings, so he will definitely need his tray during the night.

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 17:57:40 PM »
I always keep mine in for 6 weeks Betsy. As a guide, you need to make sure he is comfortable with you, and will respond to either a name, or a rattle of a biscuit tin. You do need to keep a tray down all the time though, regardless. Partly in case he needs to go while you are out/asleep, and partly cos it is easier to keep an eye on things, and sometimes (especially in weather like we have at the moment, they might not want to go out, and I can't blame them!!
Thanks for the advice .  much appreciated ! ;D
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 17:56:20 PM »
I always keep mine in for 6 weeks Betsy. As a guide, you need to make sure he is comfortable with you, and will respond to either a name, or a rattle of a biscuit tin. You do need to keep a tray down all the time though, regardless. Partly in case he needs to go while you are out/asleep, and partly cos it is easier to keep an eye on things, and sometimes (especially in weather like we have at the moment, they might not want to go out, and I can't blame them!!
Please spay your cat

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
Advice for a new cat owner please !
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 17:52:30 PM »
Got a lovely 3 year old cat called Thomas..  got him from the rescue charity need us.  They have told us that he needs to stay in whilst he gets used to us for approx 4-6 weeks.  Seems quite a long time for him to be in the house, so far hes really good, but he will often sit and look out of the window ! Bless.  Anyway should we wait 4 - 6 weeks until we let him out or could we let him out sooner??  Also when the time does come for him to go out, will it be ok to get rid of his litter tray (im bringing him in at night) so will he 'last' until the morning?  or should i just leave it out for him incase he needs to go in the middle of the night. !
Advice greatly appreciated.
Betsy and thomas . :Luv:
Betsy and Thomas

Link to CatChat