Author Topic: Silly Twyla  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
Re: Silly Twyla
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 11:51:13 AM »
My Lily is suffering with a buster collar at the moment so I completely sympathise.  She's asleep at the moment with it on and her sores are healing over (which is good) but she looks so sorry for herself.  She's usually full of life and wanting to play every 5 minutes but now she just sits and stares at me.  I tried taking it off her and letting her sleep and groom properly but as soon as it goes back on she acts like it's the first time and has to adjust again so I think the kindest thing is to leave it on and she'll just have to get used to it.  I'm hoping that her sores will clear up sooner rather than later so I can take it off for good.  She's still on strong anti-biotics and the next vet appointment is in 2 weeks.

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
  • Kitties Woody, Taiki and Twyla
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 10:53:23 AM »
When we went back to the vets on Wednesday they told us to keep it on until she has her stitch (singular :tired: ) out on Monday. I managed to persuade them to let me take it off today. I don't know if these people have ever had to live with a cat who has one of these lampshade collars or they only ever see them at their vets practice.

She can't walk, run, eat, drink, sleep, she crashes into everything, she carries her head oddly so is probably getting muscle and joint strain, she can't groom herself, wipe her mouth (the collar is covered in spittle 'cause all she can do is shake her head), scratch an itch, it flattens her ears so she probably can't hear as well either.

And all for ONE measly stitch which the vet admitted is not holding her wound together in any way at all.

So yesterday morning I took the decision to bin the collar. She has, naturally, pulled out the remaining stitch during the course of the day while I have been at work, but her wound is looking neat and scabbed, if a little swollen from the internal dissolvable stitches which is apparently normal, but there is no excessive swelling, heat, or any sign of infection.

As expected, she is now leaving her wound completely alone.

Thank you for influencing me into making the right decision.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 12:24:36 PM by Inky »

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 09:04:36 AM »
Yes you'll be pleased to hear she's had it off all evening yesterday as we were able to watch her, and we needed to! The little sneak tries to get at her stitch every time your back is turned, but it's still in this morning. I've taken a risk, I've allowed it off this morning as OHs mum is in the house for a few hours before she goes to bed (works night shifts) and I've asked her to watch Twyla like a hawk and put it back on when she goes. I do trust her as she loves the cats and will do her very best, but still it's leaving your pet in someone elses hands that always makes me nervous - if I do it myself I *know* it's done properly, if you know what I mean. But, if I weigh up the pros and cons, Twyla's comfort is the most important factor and she is FAR more comfortable without it on.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 08:21:34 AM »
You can take the collar off while they eat, and then put it back on. IT is still normal for cats to be stitched rather than glued, so I wouldnt' be too annoyed with the vet. If I have cats with buster collars, they get time out for meal times, and then an hours supervised access (you could do longer, but obviously as I foster, i have to make sure they all get a good amount of time with me in the evening). Never had a cat go back yet.
Please spay your cat

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 09:41:23 AM »
I definately will do. I go to these vets because the partners (South African guy and his wife) have a really good relationship with their patients and really take the time to get to know your pets.

But they don't do the surgery, obviously this is my first experience of surgery at this vets practice, so if the surgeon cannot reasonably justify her decision I will seriously consider taking them elsewhere if they ever need surgery again.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 20:35:50 PM »
I dont know but would ask them  :hug:

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 20:33:19 PM »
That's harsh :( Why didn't they glue my poor baby girl  :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 20:26:05 PM »
The girls operation is bigger than the males and thats why they usually have to wear a collars, it very rare that a boy would need a collar.

One of the ways to stop a girl needing a collar is to glue them!

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 20:19:37 PM »
 :(

I don't know. Maybe because he's a boy and she's a girl?

I've had to take all the lids off the litter trays as she can't even go to the loo otherwise  :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 20:12:08 PM »
I dont understand vets, if they glued the one who didnt really need it why not do Twyla too!

I am sure she will get used to the collor but so inconsiderate of the vet.

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
Silly Twyla
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 19:43:44 PM »
I'm gutted :(

They just went for their first post-op checkup (spay and castrate). Yesterday Twyla still had two stitches, today she has one. The little fluff has pulled one out :( and her wound still looks quite red and new. Unfortunately the vet says if she pulls out the second one she will have to go under GA again, so it's the dreaded lampshade collar for Twyla :( :( :( She looks so uncomfortable and unhappy, it's heart-wrenching. I have no idea how she's going to eat with it on, but I think I will have to feed them seperately as Taiki eats so fast she won't have a chance to swallow two mouthfuls before he hoovers everything up. She's got it on until Wednesday at least and then she goes for another checkup. I REALLY want to take it off her but I know she'll just pull out the last stitch and it'll do her no good :( I would take a pic to show you her misery but she really does look ridiculous and I couldn't bear anyone laughing at her :(

Taiki on the upside is wonderful, hasn't fussed with his wound at all and is more or less healed. He had skin glue to begin with, so not as uncomfortable I would imagine. He doesn't have to go back again. Lucky boy.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 19:44:51 PM by Inky »

Link to CatChat