Author Topic: Good quality dry food - 5kg for £9.09 or 2kg for £4.88  (Read 4641 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Good quality dry food - 5kg for £9.09 or 2kg for £4.88
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 09:16:17 AM »
Another hting to remember Mark is that a lot of people pick up their pet food when they do the weekly shop, and there are very few premium brands stocked in supermarkets, and as I said before, the premium brands dont tend to advertise on TV, so people aren't aware of them. Before i had the car, the only way I could get hold of JWB was either through the vet (which is full price), or have it delivered (and pay P & P). Not everyone has access to the internet to order foods online
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 21:54:59 PM »

Before CatChat/Purrs I thought Whiskas was a premium food and Gourmet Pearl was the ultimate in fine dining!

:evillaugh: Their marketing works!

They actually say "Fine dining" on the new sheba 4% meat pouches
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 19:21:06 PM »
A lot of people are innocently ignorant where pet food is concerned and it's a good thing if people are educated.

Before CatChat/Purrs I thought Whiskas was a premium food and Gourmet Pearl was the ultimate in fine dining! Decent foods don't have to be expensive as this thread shows - the foods I feed (bozita wet/PAH premium dry) cost less than the average supermarket type foods anyway!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 19:02:17 PM »
I know we have to compromise on some things. I had tried dozens of premium wet foods but mine will only eat Felix and sometimes Whiskas so I try to give them a decent quality dry to go with it. I know that if people shop around, they can get better quality food than go-cat for the same money and smaller amounts can be given. I just feel sorry for cats that have to eat wheat with EC colourings as their main food. There is a pet shop in Faversham (and I am sure there are plenty more all over) that sells 1.5kg of premium food for £1 - they also have a cheaper one. Not sure of the ingredients but it looks and smells pretty good compared to some.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 18:49:44 PM »
that looks a good buy at Jollyes  ;D

Our cats always have mixture of foods and it's great if cats can have the best but I think that some cats just don't always tolerate the best types just like we don't always tolerate what are supposed to be the most nutritious eg I can't tolerate fruit.  I think everything in moderation is best bet and importantly what they can tolerate.  Our oldies just have whatever they like  ;) so long as they're happy.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 18:08:04 PM »
It is Mark, but a lot of the quality foods are either out of peoples reach (either financially or travelling to the store), or that the cats either wont eat them or can't tolerate them. Mine can no longer tolerate HiLife, so they are currently on Felix Senior, whcih I have never bought, but have had to relent as they can't tolerate anything richer.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 16:24:22 PM »
I think snobbishness about the food cats eat should stop and like Desley says often it costs more in petrol to shop around, especially if you live rurally.

It has nothing to do with snobbishness and everything to do with feeding cats food that is nutritious and can contribute to long-term health and longevity. It is the owners duty to choose food that will help to keep their cat healthy as the cats have no choice. I care about my cats enough to want to give them the best nutrition possible. This has nothing to do with snob brands like Sheba which are no better than Whiskas but proper balanced food that is low in carbs with the correct fat/protein balance and trace nutrients.

A lot of people are innocently ignorant where pet food is concerned and it's a good thing if people are educated.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 17:06:53 PM by Mark »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 15:07:33 PM »
Thanks for looking for my nearest store Helen, but thats about a 90mile round trip for me!  :( :Luv: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 10:13:57 AM »
tried this with mine but they didn't like it (and yes I hadn't really thought about it but it was fish shaped but chicken flavour!!) which was a shame because the shop is only 10 mins in the car

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 23:53:12 PM »
I think many cats eat perfectly well on go cat and dont get ill at all, but would get ill on richer foods.

I think snobbishness about the food cats eat should stop and like Desley says often it costs more in petrol to shop around, especially if you live rurally.

I tried mine on JWB when I ran out of Technical and it hadnt arrived and they refused to touch it. In fact my birmans will not eat anything else but Purina One Salmon and Rice and Sasa will nibble that but only eats Technical really.

Every cat is different as you can tell when the question of what does your cat eat , is asked, what is great for one makes another sick.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 16:01:33 PM »
The question is Helen, are you tempted to change from PAH to Jollyes?  :shify:

I was tempted but a week before Riley had his 3 week episode of diaorrhea they ate half a small box of the PAH purely between them, it's probably completely unconnected but am just wary to try any new foods because of it.   The boys really like the normal PAH stuff and despite my moaning about the lack of offer's recently it is still good value.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 10:06:04 AM »
I just wonder how many cats are being treated for stomach issues (as well as other things) and still being fed it  :(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 08:45:22 AM »
I think with where my nearest two are, I would pay more in petrol than what I would save, especially if htey didn't like it. Mind you, I still have about 10kg of dry food in teh house.
Mark, I Think a lot of it is down to advertising, Go-Cat etc's advertising is very clever to make people think they are buying a good food, and the good brands dont do TV advertising, and you have to buy cat magazines to see their magazine adverts. I have been using JWB for 4 years now and my neighbour has only just converted to it, she has always fed Whiskas cos she thought it was a good food, despite all my conversations with her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 08:35:08 AM »
Sounds good  :)

It shows if people shop around, they can find good stuff on a budget. I feel so sorry for cats that have to live on a diet of rubbish like go-cat - often fed by people who can afford and should know better  :shify: . At those prices, rescues could feed it. I think even the rescue price for 10kg of RC is well over £35.

The question is Helen, are you tempted to change from PAH to Jollyes?  :shify:

The next time I am over Dover way, I will ask Sharon if she wants me to get some.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:37:53 AM by Mark »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 22:46:53 PM »
I don't drive Helen, so would have to rope someone in for a lift....thanks anyway. (Plus my lot can be a bit odd with food at the moment too!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 19:11:39 PM »
I have tried this before think it was chicken flavour i tried the biscuits were in shape of fish though  :Crazy:

Mine wouldnt eat it but there fussy butter  :rofl:
I ended up passing it on to mum for her 4 and they tucked in nicely

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 17:01:42 PM »
Sheffield is probably your closest JS... http://www.jollyes.co.uk/store_locator.htm 

I just couldn't believe the price, it's not even on special offer that's just the normal price!

Edit: Newcastle or Blyth for you BM?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 17:04:26 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 16:59:34 PM »
Neither do we I dont think as thats a beauty offer!  :( :wow:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 16:56:51 PM »
Gah! We don't have a Jollyes anywhere near us as far as I know!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Good quality dry food - 5kg for £9.09 or 2kg for £4.88
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 16:10:01 PM »
Jollyes own dry is just £9.09 for 5kg - that's even cheaper than Go-Cat! It has pretty good ingredients...

Poultry meat meal (min 26%), white rice (min 26%), maize, refined chicken fat, beet pulp, brewers yeast, cellulose, egg powder, fish oil, salt, glucosamine sulphate, chondriotin sulphate, MSM, cranberry, minerals, vitamins.

Compare that with James Wellbeloved at £25.49 for 5kg and £12.89 for 2kg

White Rice (Min 26%), Turkey Meat Meal (Min 26%), Turkey Fat, Maize Gluten, Potato Protein (Min 9%), Poultry Gravy, Tomato Pomace, Omega-3 Oil Supplement, Chicory Extract, Carrot, Cranberry Extract (Min 0.05%), Dl Methionine, Lysine Hydrochloride, Taurine, Threonine, Zinc Methionate, Yucca Extract, Rosemary Oil

Link to CatChat