Author Topic: Drontal....it's time  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Purrrrfect (Shelly)

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx
    • The-Kats-Whiskers
Re: Drontal....it's time
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 19:12:23 PM »
I get mine from Manor Pharmacy's they are about £1.80p each, you can also get frontline spoton flea treatment from there also.
Adopt a cat or kitten at...
www.the-kats-whiskers.co.uk/smf-forum 
Request a custom forum siggie, avatar or picture resizes at.. http://siggiestogo.smfforfree3.com
Pets Lost, Found & Stolen UK
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129703920378095
R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx

Offline DebbieM

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 19:05:41 PM »
Many thanks for all your advice. We will give it a go tomorrow. I'm thinking of smearing it with butter to help it slide down easier! When Landy was with us she had to be tableted twice a day but they were tiny quarts of a tablet and she was dociile and was used to it. These three tinkers are another kettle of fish altogther!  :P :shify:

Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash.
That one is the cat.
If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat. -Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 17:16:17 PM »
Once you chop in half you expose the bitter inside,so some cats will just ignore any baited food  ;) definately dont crush them  :evillaugh:
Just be calm and pill them directly with a small syringe of water aftewards or a meal, this makes sure they go all the way down. The tablets are not too large for them swallow so dont worry they are 'big'.

Heres a vid for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsOg5ArX3vQ

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/medicating/pill.html

The trick to getting the mouth open is to tip the head up, its the way muscles work, you can then push the lower jaw down and put the pill in at the back of the tongue or it will be deposited at your feet  :evillaugh: get your oh to hold cat around the shoulders so your first time will go smoothly

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 16:57:25 PM »
We always put the Drontal in chicken and 9 times out 10 it goes down without them noticing.

Offline DebbieM

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 15:13:49 PM »
They left me the Drontal over the counter. If I'd known better at the time I would have gone for the Milbemax. Good idea Gillian, never thought of that! I'll definitely chop it in half and hide in some cheese! Thanks!  ;D

Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash.
That one is the cat.
If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat. -Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 11:42:25 AM »
I break Drontal in half and give the two bits one after the other becuase its so big, usually either wrapped in wafer thin ham or with cheddar cheese moulded round.  :)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 11:01:02 AM »
I found the spot on's rather cheap from the link I used....some of mine wont even tolerate Milbemax!  :scared:

And for the ones who do it is worth paying the extra as they are so easy to get down!  ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 10:38:39 AM »
I don't bother with Drontal due to the size and they are so bitter that if it touches the cats tongue, they foam at the mouth. Milbemax are on a long term offer 4 for the price of 3 - so works out about £3.30. Shame you can't buy them online without a prescription.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 10:22:11 AM »
I found this on the net and looks pretty cheap also!  ;)

http://www.petdispensary.co.uk/home-1-0.html

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:16:52 AM »
I usually get mine from VetUK but Viovet is good sometimes as well and will only charge £1 P&P if meds are all you are getting x

Offline DebbieM

• Adult Cat
Drontal....it's time
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:13:54 AM »
Yesterday picked up Drotal tablets from the vets. Opened one up to see the size and it's massive!  :scared: I'm putting off the dreaded deed until OH is home tomorrow to help. In the past with Landy and Dis we let the vet worm and flea treat them at the normal vets visit as we chickened out!  :naughty: This time I spoke to the vet over the phone and she said she'll leave them for me to pick up so we have to be brave and do it ourselves this time! Wish us luck! Have been reading previous posts on hints and tips to help get the tablets down. Will try the hide in something nice one I think!

I've just been to Vetuk to compare the price....£1.50 each...my vet charged me £3.30 each!  :Crazy: OMG! What a difference! Know where I'll be going in future.  >:(

That one is the cat.

Link to CatChat