Author Topic: How do you stop your cat scratching your bedroom door 1 hour before you get up!  (Read 4163 times)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum

when my Mrs was getting up she let him in the room, when I looked down he was sat there looking at my escaped toe(attached to my bad knee) with massive eyes!!!!
 :rofl:
[/quote]

:rofl: :rofl: Very funny

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
It's also a good idea not to feed them as soon as you get up (if you don't go for auto feeders).  If you get up at, say 6am, and immediately feed them it won't be long before they're waking you up an hour earlier for food, as they associate your getting up with being fed.  It's a good idea to wait a while so that they don't associate you getting up with their being fed.  Auto feeders will also work in breaking the association.

WHAT :-: !!! put up with another 10 min's of them trying to trip you up every step you take !!  :doh: :rofl:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
Right guys Im awake!!!!

I shook my crutch with a plastic bag attached to the end at Barry and he has not been seen since!!! Success!!!! lol

Just Kidding, he did it this morning and we both just ignored him, he lasted about a minute and then got bored and stopped. So we are gonna try doing is every morning for the next week. I think alot of the problem is due to my operation. I recently had knee surgery and have had trouble sleeping due to the pain. By about 5am my pain killers are wearing off so I move around alot more, making more noise. I think this prompts Barry into thinking we are awake hence why he scratches on the door.

when my Mrs was getting up she let him in the room, when I looked down he was sat there looking at my escaped toe(attached to my bad knee) with massive eyes!!!!
 :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
It's also a good idea not to feed them as soon as you get up (if you don't go for auto feeders).  If you get up at, say 6am, and immediately feed them it won't be long before they're waking you up an hour earlier for food, as they associate your getting up with being fed.  It's a good idea to wait a while so that they don't associate you getting up with their being fed.  Auto feeders will also work in breaking the association.

Not that I'm the expert on this kind of thing with manic Mosi around.  Helen - I would have no hesitation in shutting Mosi out of the bedroom at night but I can't do it to Jaffa!  He's such a good boy.  Actually, I've not put my heating on yet so it's a bit nippy early in the morning and I think that's helping Mosi as he just wants to cuddle up to me to stay warm  ;D

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Buddy & Daisy
I must try that idea of the automatic feed bowl, i never had the problem with Jet or Cleo but Ralphie is always doing it, unfortunately he starts scratching about 2 hours before i'm meant to get up
Always in my heart RIP Jet, Cleo, Poppy, Oscar & Sydney x

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
The automatic feeder is a brilliant idea for mine, cos that is what they want - to be fed. Thanks for the tip, Helen!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
That sounds like a great idea and must get a new tray for one of mine cos its cracked and could only take biscuits now.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
I don't have the scratching problem as I made a rod for my own back when I let Lucas & Riley in the room overnight as babaies, can't just kick them out now as they wouldn't understand and would scratch and wail (yes, I tried it once  :tired:). 

My problem was Riley waking me up at the crack before dawn EVERY morning, I've started setting an automatic feeder to open at 06:30 for the days I don't need to be up that early.  They have learnt now that there's no point pestering me as regardless what they do the food pops up at 06:30 so I have had unbroken sleep now for 2 months - bliss  :)  If Barry's pestering you because ultimately he wants you to get up then an automatic feeder could be the way to go.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
There is one rule in our house....only the kitchen door stays closed at all times.....mine have full access day or night  ;)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 05:08:15 AM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
We have an open door policy and sleep with about 12 most nights and in the end sleep deprivation wins and you will sleep through most things!

We also have a new alarm clock called Sky at 6am every day he needs to go out so barks until you get up - his barking moves the cats upstairs so think they may have had words with him about us wanting a longer lie at the weekends!

Robin got his own back when he got up at 4am to go to Norway last week - they were all still sleeping till he hit the lights and offered them breakfast and he had very  few takers so try staying up till the wee small hours and wake them up if they are sleeping!!!! :shify: :Crazy:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
I let both of my kittens in our room some night they are complet nightmares, Like last night tiggy gets in bed adult style and purrs that loud you cant sleep and then wants fussing all the time, Pippin comes to suckle on you any bare part of skin that the duvet is not covering and then bites your toes! But if you shut them out of the room they scratch at the door and meow all night and it makes you feel guilty so i just put up with the not much sleep  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
But by then he will have carved a cat flap in the door  :rofl: :rofl:

ccmacey

Put his clock back an hour lol

Strangely enough my cats never do this or wake me up through the night (maybe because I go into a coma) but when I did used to close my bedroom door they would scratch to get in.

You have 2 options- let him in the room, or be very patient and ignore him, he will stop doing it in a few weeks.  :shy:

MBll

well this is very easy ...keep the door open ....or....let the cat sleep in the bedroom & you sleep on the couch..

SORTED

PS  See dead easy
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 18:39:16 PM by RatiesRule »

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
Teeth I can cope with, but his fingernails kill!

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Many has been the time that we have woken up to a certain feline sinking his teeth int our toes. It takes a few moments to realise what the pain is. :evillaugh:

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
and if he is not sickin my toe's he is suckin on my lobes!!!! God damn his insecurities!

He also HAS to get in the bed human style, not cute on the bottom curled up like a proper cat. When he is under the duvet he then relaxes, for all of 20 seconds then boom 'Barrys gonna get ya', next thing you know, there is a paw inserted in your belly button, chewing your knee and he is rabbit kicking your big toe!!! lmao :rofl:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
 :rofl: I can't say they've done that now. But they pounce on me when I move under the quilt, and a few times they've managed to undo one of the poppers on my duvet cover and crawl up inside.

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
I tried keeping my 4 out cos I had the same problem, now with the door open they all climb over me, usually with Belle giving me headbutts and purring in my ear.

and how often do you get your toe's sicked!!!

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
I tried keeping my 4 out cos I had the same problem, now with the door open they all climb over me, usually with Belle giving me headbutts and purring in my ear.

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
special red he's just a few weeks early the clocks go back 1 hour next week so he'll be at the right time then lol
Bless him he wants his meowmy can you not shut him in the kitchen or another suitable room over night, my cats go in the kitchen at night as i have a cockateil and don't want him eating lol

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Good luck, hope it works .... just remember not to 'scare' too much, you want him to still be your friend  :evillaugh:

Tan, my jumper is still in one piece thankfully, even after I got up and moved it somewhere safe, the little  :censored: dragged it off there to have another go....he really is a little monster when he gets an idea into his head, I can almost see the cogs in his brain whirring to see what he can do next  :evillaugh:

Radiator bed ..... what a good idea.  Shame I have stooopid warm air heating, might try and get a furry bed and put it in front of the vent in the lounge though  :shify:

Max's response to toys is, why play with them when you can play with your hooman instead  :rofl:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
Right guys some of you have been helpful others just made me laugh!!! and some.....well we will leave them be!!

Im wth the scare tactic. He is petrified of plastic bags and hates my crutches, so i have attached a plastic bag filled with plastic bags to the end of my crutches, I will brief you tomorrow!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
How do you stop your cat scratching your bedroom door 1 hour before you get up!

Keep the door open ;D
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
lol Clare thats what Vicky Halls was talking about when she said " believe me when the door scratching doesn't work they will think of another way to get your attention!! They are very clever but you just have to persivere and ignore them. " lol It also helps to have a "play on your own" toy if they are board at the time or a nice cosy bed outside the bedroom if not allowed in there.  I read one case that the attention seaking at 3am was stopped overnight by getting a radiator bed for the cat in another room.

Has your jumper survived if that worked to get your attention  :evillaugh:  ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 16:38:01 PM by Tan »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Sounds to me he is woried thatb you are going away again, and this could lead to other problems.

Leave the door open!

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
My cat Marley who lives with mum used to be a complete nightmare.. if he wanted attention you sure knew about it !

Leo is completely different in that he will only disturb me once & then sit patiently (& stare at me) & wait for my alarm to go off & then he knows he can bug me as I will wake up ! So I think I have him well trained..also he knows once I am awake at 06.30.. he has 30 mins of play play play before I go to work !

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
Open the door!! Are you insane, knowing that Barry is about means your toes aint safe and the chance of going back to sleep is less than if you'd have left him to scratch!!

ooohhhh yess, the toe eating. I remember it well >:(
your all cosy, half asleep, then WHAM, some little sod's just bitten your big toe with extremely sharp teeth, ither that or the claws
come out and attack your unsuspecting (escaped from the duvet) limb :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
note to self: it was not funny at the time, speshally having to get up to prise said claws out of flesh !!
but Misty hasen't done it for years :wow:

If I were you, try to ignore it or go to sleep with Boots on  ;D
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Open the door!! Are you insane, knowing that Barry is about means your toes aint safe and the chance of going back to sleep is less than if you'd have left him to scratch!!

:evillaugh: Maybe not then.

It is so hard to ignore them though, especially when you've got an open wardrobe and you can hear your new jumper being clawed (yes, that's what my little darling was up to at 3am  >:( )

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
What about spraying a bit of Feliway on the door, do you think this might help ?.

Cheers

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I trained Kyle by ignoring her - now Willow has started it but she is more insistment - she has tried everything except the baseball bat!  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Cats do this to get attention and any reaction even a noise or a look will let him think that what he was doing to get attention works so he will keep doing it!  The only way to stop him is to completely ignore him so that he thinks it just does't work and stop doing it!  Where i have read really good cat behaviour books, they say that it may take a while (week or so) for the cat to know that that attention behaviour isnt working and on occasions, the cats have then decided to try other things like go downstairs and knock things off shelves so the owners run downstairs to see what went bang!  .... Oh thinks the cat that worked then hee hee.  :sneaky: Sooooooo make sure there are no breakable things he can knock over downstairs, and just ingnore all his attention seeking at unreasoanble hours  in the morning till he gives up. It's the only way.  No moving or looking or talking to him, just remain very quiet and motionless!!  Ear plugs help alot lol  ;)

Then when you are up at a reasonable hour give him lots of attention and love  ;D

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 15:33:22 PM by Tan »

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
I might cellotape plastic bags to the door!

Couldn't you cellotape him to the door, sorry just my sense of humour  :evillaugh:

Cheers

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat

Snuggle time, well when your up at 6am the last thing I want to be doing is snuggling at 5am!! lmao

I might cellotape plastic bags to the door!

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I can't really offer any advice I'm afraid, Max will go through phases, his latest one is to wake me up any time between 3 and 5 by being a complete pest, which normally results in me picking him and taking him back downstairs again, where he might occasionally stay until morning, but more often then not, he's back in no time  :tired:

Hope you find a solution though, could you not open the door when he scratches, then at least you'd get some good snuggle time and get back to sleep?

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
Please help before the Mrs Kills him!!! lol

He has never done this since we have had him, we did go away for two weeks and all of a sudden he is doing it everyday. Its got to the point where I have to keep a Plastic bag next to the bed (he absolutely hates them) to scare him away!!
Help
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 15:19:29 PM by SpecialRed »

Link to CatChat