Author Topic: Re the thread about neutering  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Re the thread about neutering
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 17:38:41 PM »
Because I am happy to let sleeeping dogs lie, if everyone else will!

MBll

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 17:31:27 PM »
ok as this is not going down well with some then why not delete the whole thread & others that i posted on the same subject re the site.   

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 17:10:23 PM »
Not here maybe but she has part mentioned it on a otherthreads.

However the fact is we do not want publicity for it given on this site. If peeps want to look at it and act on their own iniative and email or pm others with links thats fine but we now have many guests watching from outside and Purrs does not want to be seen as a place advertizing this kind of site.

That is Purrs policy, sorry.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 17:05:28 PM »
Gill, to be fair on Mags she didnt mention the website name at all. Just a request for info to pass on to people.
Iv contacted people before and got a pleasant reply and i like to think they have taken notice of what i wrote.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 16:56:30 PM »
I think its a good thing that someone keeps an eye on "The Site" - one life saved or one cat speyed is important. Also, you can steer people to sites like here where they  can get some good advice. My two pennorth
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 16:51:57 PM »
That is a shame RR, if people could get through to some of those kind of people, maybe rescues might get less calls cos people can't place the kittens they have allowed their pets to have.
Please spay your cat

MBll

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 15:17:50 PM »
Its ok i wont post anythin on this again here

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 08:36:37 AM »
I have to say I personally have never been on THE site, I have enough to do and coming on here is so time consuming but something I cannot resist. But there cannot be all irresponsible people who go on THAT site and maybe just maybe we can get to some of them and spread good advice.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 11:09:18 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 08:28:59 AM »
Tan posted this up http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=4721.0 back in May.

I think that RR is doing a good thing in trying to help. The above link is just a reminder that we need to take care about using the name and not posting links or even posting actual wording used in ads on here. Each time we do, their site gets more attention and web hits (through search engines) which means they get more sponsorship and are able to continue running. Our contribution can be not to give them that attention by actually mentioning them.

If members choose to visit the site its their choice really. Its a tough line to draw, but I do agree that even advice can help. And if you get those like Michelle has had, who tell you off, then so be it. Just don't let it frustrate you so much that you feel helpless.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 08:17:12 AM »
I did not realize that. If that is the case it gets sillier on here and will soon be more like being at school than fun. (Perhaps fun is not the right word but you know what I mean.) To be honest I can see both sides. I agree we cannot save the world and sometimes when people have posted something they have seen on that site I feel 'don't they know we cannot cope with the cases we know about already’ and think it unfair to put more on us. However, to give advice in cases like the one in question I can see nothing but good and see it as a way to spread the word.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 08:06:20 AM »
think there was a thread on here about the benifits of neutering cats but canni find it? 

My reasons:- Quite simply there are far too many cats and just not enough caring homes. It's all very well saying Oh! I always get good homes for my cats kittens, if that is the case why are we always so full and have a huge list of cats waiting to come in and where are all the tens of thousands of cats/kittens that Cats Protection take in each year coming from? And why are tens of thousands more put to sleep each year? Sadly most of them come from those so-called good homes. If there were not so many kittens available the thousands of kittens/cats that are put to sleep each year may stand a chance of adoption, and that good home you managed to find may have adopted one that has now been put to sleep. We appreciate that some come into care because of the owners ill health or a death in the family but the majority are simply not now wanted. Of course we are just one rescue, there are possibly as many again if not more being helped by other rescues. Please don't be led into thinking that if everyone had their cat neutered/spayed they would die out, that is just not going to happen there are far too many irresponsible people for that. If there were a few less cats/kittens available would it be such a bad thing? Maybe just maybe they would be more valued and as a result of this perhaps we would not keep reading of the abuse and neglect so many suffer. Occasionally we are told I don't want my cat 'done' I want it to have some fun, another word for fun is amusing, it is not very amusing when your cat gets a life threatening disease just because you wanted your cat to have some fun, is it?

RISKS FIV & FeLV (Feline Aids & Leukaemia) is rife; it is passed on from cat to cat by contact, usually sexual or fighting. Please don't put your cat at risk. It is NOT necessary for a cat to have a litter of kittens before it's spayed, indeed all Vets would agree that it is of no benefit to a cat at all.  It is just as important for indoor cats to be neutered/spayed as it helps to eradicate many forms of cancer, e.g. Breast, Ovarian, Uterine Prostrate & Testicular also enlargement of the prostrate and related infections. Cats are also safer from mammary tumours and will not acquire pyometra a life threatening infection. EVERY TIME A FEMALE COMES INTO SEASON IT INCREASES HER CHANCES OF BREAST CANCER.THIS ALSO AFFECTS DOGS.TESTICULAR CANCER IS COMMON IN UNNEUTERED CATS AS IS FELINE AIDS AND LEUKAEMIA. NEUTERING/SPAYING IS THE BEST WAY TO HELP YOUR CATS STAY HEALTHY. Vouchers towards the cost of this simple little procedure are available to anyone on a limited budget. Please ring your local Cats Protection or apply online for vouchers see www.cats.org.uk PLEASE NOTE: FIV & FeLV CANNOT BE TRANSMITTED TO HUMANS.
 WE HAD 38 UNNEUTERED/UNSPAYED CATS TESTED FOR LEUKAEMIA & AIDS 35 WERE POSITIVE. IF ONLY ONE OF THESE HAD COME INTO CONTACT WITH ANY OF YOUR CATS MALE OR FEMALE IT COULD SO EASILY BE PASSED ON.CATS LIVES HAVE BEEN SAVED MANY TIMES WHEN A VET NOTICED SOMETHING WRONG WITH A CAT THAT WOULD HAVE REMAINED UNNOTICED UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE HAD THE CAT NOT GONE FOR A NEUTER/SPAY.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 07:42:15 AM »
i have to say that I think RR and Michelle's way is a good one, esp as RR has been unable to get a rescue to accept her help. If they can persuade one person to do it, then that is less kittens potentially being taken to a rescue cos the owner cant find homes, and they aren't doing it on Purrs, all RR was asking for help with finding some facts that are already on here to help educate - and isn't education what we are all about??
Please spay your cat

MBll

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 21:24:34 PM »
well thats me told then  :-:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 20:53:44 PM »
Thats fine but the name of the site is banned on Purrs cos although you may have been able to help someone, most as you have discovered, have ulterior motives.

I do not think it helps to keep torturing yourself when you cannot actually do anything to help the animal in question yourself but are just trying to put it on others shoulders.

We know that most on Purrs would do anything to save a cat but these sites are populated on the whole by a different kind of person with a different idea about animals compared to most on Purrs.

Its sad but there is a limit that can be done.

If you want to read these sites that is up to each individual but we dont want it on Purrs, sorry.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 20:47:31 PM »
Please stay off that site grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. You cant save the world. :(

but if just ONE person changed their minds and gets their cat neutered its worth it .

I used to email so many people from "the tree site" - i even rang a few.
Most of the time i was told to  :censored: OFF but there were a couple of people who listened and then said they hadnt known about all the negative things about not neutering and decided get their females done

MBll

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 20:45:37 PM »

sorry  :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 20:43:36 PM »

If you want to find something on Purrs do a search, put in neutering or versions of  ;D

MBll

Re the thread about neutering
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 20:41:33 PM »
I think there was a thread on here about the benifits of neutering cats but canni find it?    Reason im looking for it ......yep yet again theres  couple of ads on THAT site & was going to email the info to them/

1 post ...2 10 month old girls for rehoming not neutered as the folk were going to breed from them...ther moggies.

Aother post ....un neutered boy up for stud before the snip.    This ad is 1 of many that is doing the rounds.

Link to CatChat