Author Topic: Eeeekkkk  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
  • Kitties Woody, Taiki and Twyla
Re: Eeeekkkk
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 12:06:51 PM »
Aww bless! Taiki is 6 months old and weighs 4kg!  :shocked:

They have been wormed every month with Milbemax up until last month, and they get done for round/heartworm every month in their Advocate. Depending on what my vet suggests I think I'll prob Milbemax them every 3 months or so too.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 09:41:22 AM »
My cats have been on worm treatment for 2 months and next week get their third treatment! I took in a couple of semi-ferals at Christmas and they had roundworm....they are awful! I think the third treatment is to make sure they are gone.....the rotters lay their eggs and they hibernate elsewhere so when you are worming the adults the eggs are lying in wait!  :shify:

I use either Drontal or Mibemax...prefer the Milbemax as they are tiny tabs....but Drontal is so much cheaper through VetUK!  ;)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:42:20 AM by Bazsmum »

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 09:21:53 AM »
We're still going to worm them more than once a year I think I'm not taking any risks with them to be honest.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 18:11:22 PM »
Mine get wormed once a year at annual MOT and they are fine

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 15:46:42 PM »
Glad you got on well. Archie is a tiny tom as well :wow:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 15:46:34 PM »
once a year is really poxy advise regardless of lifestyle, alteast twice a year imo.

MM is totally correct about roundworm which is why alot of vets are apparently advising blanket monthly worming and i can see their point of view, any cat that goes outside should be wormed monthly and every 3 month worming is probably a better idea than every 6 months ( i am guilty of the latter i must confess at times)

Just always remember that panacur does not kill tapeworms that they will get from fleas or eating prey.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 15:38:08 PM »
Just realised I didn't update on this,

Well we took Milo and the vet didn't understand why we were told to bring him down so she didn't charge us for a consultation, (bless her) she wormed Milo for us, we have to do it once more next month, then she did say once a year will be fine for both of them.

I asked about his size and she said his fine not underweight etc, but he has finished growing and we have a tiny adult cat, bless him his always going to be a mini milo.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 18:48:15 PM »
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,12050.0.html

"Cats dont ever need to go outside to get roundworm, thats why routine worming is advisable regardless.

Round worm can hibernate as cysts in muscle tissue and migrate out thus reinfecting the cat.
Wormers dont have a lasting effect in the body say like a frontline spot on so you can safely worm monthly to knock the butters on the head   :evillaugh:

Make sure you use a decent treatment such as drontal or milbemax. You can buy drontal online very cheaply  ;)  using a rescue link of course  :evillaugh: "

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 17:28:48 PM »
I think people have different routines for worming and different vets often recommend different things. Personally with my cats if they catch birds and mice in the garden I worm them monthly, indoor only cats I worm every 2-3 months and kittens I worm at 4 weeks with Panacur paste and then at 6, 9, 12 and 14/15 weeks with Milbemax and then monthly until 6 months old and after that it depends on if they are indoors only or have access to a secure garden.

I wouldn't panic about not worming him being responsible for him being little, he might just be a small built cat. Does your vet think he's small or underweight for his age?
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 17:13:38 PM »
Bertie and Bella are both indoor cats and I only wormed them twice a year up till last year when we got Minnie - because she goes outdoors and sometimes brings little presents inside that the others get hold of, I do them all every three months now.  I've never heard of monthly worming though  :-:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 15:09:56 PM »
Well Jess is wormed every 3 months and his an indoor kitty

Milo will be an indoor kitty too so I'm sure he won't pick anything up but still!

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 14:38:44 PM »
Every month????  :shocked: :Crazy: :shocked:

We only had it done once since Oliver has been with us, when he got neutered in last december.  It came out clean and I thought it was something to be done like once a year along with vaccines.  He is a strictly indoor cat and I can't think of where he can possibly pick up worms, but is it still necessary?

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:13:57 PM »
My cat Katie is 7 so it's slightly different, but I agree that it's very much to do with lifestyle.

She doesn't hunt, doesn't go out much and therefore I tend to de-worm every 4/6 months and she's never had a problem!

Dont worry, i'm sure your little one will be fine!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 12:05:23 PM »
When we took Milo with the vets for a kitten check up, we asked about worming and they said monthly, I've just called the vets because we need some more and they asked weight, age et (his around 22 weeks and weighs 1.3kg) and they said we should have been worming him every 2 weeks and we need to bring him in tonight see the vet to get the Panacur dispensed.

FAB advise worming kittens for roundworms every two weeks from about six weeks to 16 weeks. After that they can be wormed for both roundworms and tapeworms, depending on whether they hunt or not and whether they are treated regularly for fleas - again FAB advise every 2-6 months in adult cats. It shouldnt just be a blanket routine of say, every month, because it depends so much on lifestyle.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 11:55:42 AM »
I always advised worming of kittens every month in the first year (or atleast 6 mnths) there after 3 monthly but now many vets are actually advising routine life long monthly worming of all cats (and dogs)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 10:21:26 AM »
The vet sends me a reminder every 12 weeks to worm Archie, I wonder if its because he is a kitten that he needs worming more often, although our vet did not advise to worm more frequently when Archie was a kitten :Crazy:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
Eeeekkkk
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »
I think I am a bad fur mummy,

When we took Milo with the vets for a kitten check up, we asked about worming and they said monthly, I've just called the vets because we need some more and they asked weight, age et (his around 22 weeks and weighs 1.3kg) and they said we should have been worming him every 2 weeks and we need to bring him in tonight see the vet to get the Panacur dispensed.

Now I'm really concerned that his tiny for his age and somehow us not worming him properly has affected this! He poo's twice a day and eats like a horse but seems so small!

Link to CatChat