Author Topic: Fat Cats!  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
Re: Fat Cats!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 12:13:25 PM »
Makes you think, doesn't it?

When I treat mine, it tends to be with fresh meat or fish, along with the odd bit of ham and such like. Sometimes it is just as a treat (like with ham or a splash of milk) but if I do give meat or fish, it tends to replace a meal of their regular wet food rather than supplement it. For instance, last night, they both had a dollop of minced beef for their tea, which went down very nicely, thank you!  :evillaugh:

I think it's just about being sensible - and it's probably easier to be sensible with a cat as opposed to a dog. Dogs (and I must confess, humans) will eat just about anything and therein lies the problem... The odd treat is fine, but don't forget the exercise...

I've just scoffed a creme egg, so best get on my bike then!  :shy:

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 11:56:40 AM »
my oh gives cheese to our cats sometimes

my oh and my familey have a terrible habbit of keep giving there dog and my dog junk , my oh always trys to give todd his left overs

and i wont have it , i say to him im not having my dog over weight and he isnt a dustbin he is not eating junk !
i dont mind him having fresh chicken or ham as a treat ,
i know people who feed there dogs cakes n crisps and im like omg wat the hell r u doing grrrrrr
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 11:41:34 AM »
In reality though, none of us are likely to give an ounce of cheese or a cup of milk to a cat.

I don't know - an ounce of cheese isn't very much.  About the size of those individual cheese portions you can buy in supermarkets.  I'm sure lots of people would give that much.  Maybe not in one go but during the course of a day.

Lyn - that list makes me want chocolate too!  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 11:14:51 AM »
In reality though, none of us are likely to give an ounce of cheese or a cup of milk to a cat. I might occasionally give kylie a corner of cheese but it probably weighs 1/32 of an ounce. 1/2 saucer of milk is probably 1/16th of a cup or less.

Ironically, PAH do a huge range of snacks for cats & dogs  :evillaugh:

The worst ones I found are the ones you can get in all the supermarkets - I can't remember the name but they are in a red & white bag - I think they are something like 30% fat! - I stopped giving treats to kylie about a year ago. If she is being a pain, I let he eat a bit of diet food from my hand - seems to keep her happy  :Luv:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 09:02:25 AM »
I understand what they mean and it will hopefully make people stop and think about what they treat their pets with, but I think it's a bit vauge, all of those products are avalible with a whole range of salt and fat contents, crisps are different sizes, and what chocolate?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Fat Cats!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 19:06:23 PM »
Have just been reading the current Pets at Home magazine and found a really interesting article on overweight pets.

In the article there is a "snack comparison table"

Snack fed to a 4.5kg Cat:

1 crisp  =   Equivalent to 1.5  (50g) chocolate bars

30g (1oz) cheddar cheese = Equivalent to 4  (50g) chocolate bars

1 cup milk = Equivalent to 5 (50g) chocolate bars

Snack fed to a 10kg dog

1 small plain biscuit = Equivalent to 1  (50g) chocolate bars

1 slice buttered toast = Equivalent to 1  (50g) chocolate bars

30g (1oz) cheddar cheese = Equivalent to 1.5  (50g) chocolate bars
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Link to CatChat