Author Topic: M&S insurance  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: M&S insurance
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 14:42:57 PM »
Yeah - that is a big difference!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 14:30:09 PM »
I can't be doing with jumping around from one insurer to another trying to save a few pounds (which of course they count on) only to find that a new policy that was initially cheaper then increases a lot when it's due for renewal. 

I agree Susanne but the difference in Tom's case between the 2 quotes is over £150 and potentially a better excess which is well worth the hassle of moving. 

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 13:51:22 PM »
No excess was never going to be sustainable in the long term.  Unfortunately as claims go up (in total for the company) premiums go up.  As vet costs get more expensive (due to more complicated treatements and diagnostic tools being available, and utilised more by those who have insurance so can afford them) it's inevitable that premiums will go up to.  I've just got my petplan renewal for Jaffa.  It's £149.84 and now that he's 10 the excess is pretty hefty but I can't be doing with jumping around from one insurer to another trying to save a few pounds (which of course they count on) only to find that a new policy that was initially cheaper then increases a lot when it's due for renewal.  Jaffa has had a dental due to gingivitis anyway so I doubt another insurer would cover any further dentals.  So I just have to take it on the chin and realise that all premiums seem to be going up, regardless of company, and that you can't guarantee any policy will remain a bargain throughout the cat's life (many companies have low premiums to lure you in then when it's renewal time it increases a lot).  At least I know that should he need expensive treatment a significant portion of the vets bill will be covered.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 11:06:09 AM »
Have just gone ahead with Axa for Thomas at £9.81 per month and £50 excess.  Cheers Helen!  With Tom being 18 this Christmas I feel much happier having cover.

Presumably they will have full details of claims re Thomas already on their system as they underwrite M&S.

I think we may find that they go the way of M&S at some point. Probably just have a different review date but good to get Tommie covered for another 12 months in any event  ;D.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 10:52:08 AM »
I just did a quote based on how old my boys will be at renewal (1 yr 2 months).  M&S £122.15 v Axa £72.66.  The quote page is identical on both websites just in different colurs so they are basing the quotes on the exact same information  >:(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 10:49:35 AM »
Thank you Helen that's very interesting.  Tom's recent "stroke" is a bit of an issue but from what vet has said there's no treatment as such for this if it recurs apart from pretty cheap mediaction to assist with any associated dizziness. Other than that Tom's various recent test results have shown up no problems at all so am going to look into the Axa policy. Really, many thanks for that.  Am off hunting for the Axa site....

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 10:41:04 AM »
I saw on another website a comparison with M&S insurance and Axa insurance (bearing in mind M&S is underwritten by Axa).  Axa has the all important 7k per year rather than per condition.  I just did a dummy quote for an 18 year old cat (pre existing conditions excluded though obviously) and it came out to £129.

If my renewals are silly prices I'm definitely going to switch Lucas to them, will have to stick with M&S for Riley as even though the tests have showed him to be perfectly healthy I'm not going to risk another insurer trying to wriggle out of any heart related claims on the basis it's a pre existing condition.

I've copied the comparison so can't take the credit for it, text in blue is what M&S covers, red is Axa...

M&S vs AXA cat and dog policies as at 12th August 2007:

Veterinary fees £7000 per period £7000 per period

Complementary treatments £750 per period £250 per condition

Referral to behaviourist £250 per period £250 per condition

Cremation / burial expenses £100 £100

Dietary foods £200 £200 per condition

Third party liability £2,000,000 £2,000,000

Emergency boarding kennels and cattery fees £750 £750

Daily minding by someone other than kennels or cattery £750 £750

Advertising costs £1,000 £1,000

Reward £500 £250

Theft or straying £1,500 £750

Accidental death£1,500 £1,000

Death by illness £1,000 £1,000

Holiday cancellation £2,500 £3,000

Accidental damage to own property £750 £500

Quarantine costs£1,500 £2,000

Loss of Health certificate £250 £250

Repeat tick and worming treatment Covered Covered

Overseas Vet Treatment £1000 per condition

Excess £50 but pet over 9 yrs old it is £50 or 15% whichever is more  £50

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 10:07:57 AM »
I won't be renewing Tom for £275 with no excess, that's for sure altho will have to consider what to do for Freddie when renewal comes thru in October.  At least we got back £157 for the £120 we paid M&S last year.  Thankfully we can afford to pay for any treatment Tom needs so no one need worry on that score but I'd rather leave cost of premium in my bank account.  Insurance is of course a gamble but the odds are stacked too high at £275!

You carry on being Pollyanna Blackcat, after all the sun is shining and no work today..... for most of us

Poor doggy with arthritis will of course have that condition excluded on any policy. Not sure who it was but someone said they were staying with Petplan last year as they suspected M&S ins was going to be a loss leader to catch us all and would put up premiums and alter terms when they had us.

Millys Mum is right though, what is important is the cover itself and have to admit IF I insure Freddie again it will be with M&S as cover is good and I think I'm right that excess with M&S lower than Petplan.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 10:04:17 AM »
Thanks MM, will do.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 10:03:17 AM »
Get quotes from Pet Plan (who Smidgens free cover was probably with?) and M&S, the 2 best companies for cover.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 09:56:12 AM »
THere is an up side to this. Insurance companies set rates on the basis of claims averaged out across the population. So if premiums are going up it means that a lot more kitties and dogs are getting the sort of vet care they need  ;D ;D Sorry, bing pollyanna this morning. I am also looking at Pet insurance as Smidgen's free cover will be expiring soon and I need to get on with the job. Any suggestions? Pet profile is one kitten, one adult cat of unknown age and one dog with pre-existing arthritis aged 6.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 09:47:03 AM »
OUCH!!

I think it was Helen who flagged up that they had got rid of nil excess and i found out they had put up prices as i did 2 siblings and then the 3rd a week later and it had gone up nearly 50%  >:(
I looked around but couldnt find the same cover for cheaper so will no doubt stay with them.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
M&S insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 09:35:46 AM »
Sorry if this has already been said but looks like nil excess option has now gone. I think they review things from 1 August each year but don't quote me. Am afraid I'm falling out of love with good old M&S.

I renewed Billy's insurance (age 3) under protest in June as premium had increased from £64 to £102 but has nil excess.  As I received quote to renew Tom's recently (don't know how I survived the shock but he will be 18 at Christmas - see below), I thought I'd key in Freddie's details (age 5) and there is no nil excess option anymore and cost will be £102 as for Billy. 

Recent experience with claim for Thomas was not good.  Had to wait a few weeks and, when it did arrive, they withheld £50 excess altho they did finally cough that up after 2 phone calls.  So how much to renew for Tom bearing in mind £120 premium last year with nil excess?

£275! and nil excess replaced by the greater of £50 or 15% of claim.

Link to CatChat