Author Topic: Leonie's spey  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Leonie's spey
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 14:19:53 PM »
We go for the flank and get the wound glued with internal stitches so no need for any collars and the ladies are bounding around in no time

Often bounding around from the moment you get them home and open the cat carrier lol! That was certainly the case with my Gwynnie - bouncing off the walls for a few hours, literally  :evillaugh: This is Gwynnies shaved bit - just after she'd had her stitches out

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 14:01:49 PM »
We go for the flank and get the wound glued with internal stitches so no need for any collars and the ladies are bounding around in no time
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 13:53:26 PM »
I think the flank spey is quicker and safer than midline (and less painfull), and they recover quicker than with midline. The flank is usually only a small shaved area (except when they did my foster cat Coco (shorthaired) it was an enormous shaved bit!  :shocked:) but the tiniest wound, hardly distinguishable. I'd go for flank, you'll be surprised how quickly the fur grows back.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 09:52:47 AM »
When my friends cat was speyed last year I was surprised they did a midline not a side one but the vet said its more common to do that now.
I hope whichever she has goes well
love
Tab

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »
my Tilly (a bengal) was speyed on the side, they did shave but only the size of a large stamp and her fur grew back fine - the vet did offer to do midline (underneath) as she was worried about her coat but I don't show her so decided to go for  the option that was most common (and therefore easier I hoped!)

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 00:13:56 AM »
My Miffy was done on her stomach and within a couple of days I had problems trying to keep her from jumping etc as they are more likely to split the stitches or glue if done underneath but managed to get through it but she had disposable stitches.  I think it is dependent on the cat on how they handle pain rather than where it is done.

They are still shaved  whether they are sealed back up with stitches or glue due to having to have the area sterile but at this time of year she would get her fur back more quickly as it is maulting season for our beloved moggies.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 23:43:26 PM »
Yes  they do need to shave for both and suspect they shave a lot so no chance of a bit of fur getting in the wound.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 23:28:16 PM »
Callie was done 2 weeks ago and it was on her side. The wound was absolutely tiny - no more than an inch long and had only two stitches which are now out. You cannot eve see the scar now on her but she does have a quite large shaved patch. Not sure why they shave so much. It is however growing in quite quickly.
I think access to the uterus must be easier via the side and possible less change of nicking the bowel or bladder which could cause major problems if they did this. Perhaps ask the vet the reason and ask them to shave a minimal patch.
They do need to shave whether they stitch or glue though. I think stitches are more secure and less chance of the wound opening up should she jump around a bit!
Hope all goes well for Leonie x
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 23:17:41 PM »
so they don't need to shave if they glue the wound? i have asked for her to be glued anyway but i was just hoping someone here would have some info to add!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 23:10:35 PM »
Yes I have heard that they can spey underneath but dont know if there is any different in terms of pain. I think the pedigrees are also glued rather than stitched which was how how I was going to have her done.

I would be conceited about her coat LOL, having seen it at first hand  ;D

I have two birmans and the seal point had to have the back of his neck shaved in Nov to make it easier for the stoopid human to get his jabs into him and initially his fur grows back darker  but eventually goes back to the right colour.....takes ages though.

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
Leonie's spey
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 23:05:33 PM »
hi all, as you are aware Leonie is due to be speyed. infact she should have been done this week but my vet was off sick. but i did read somewhere that they can spey a cat underneath rather than on the side, which is what they do to pedigree cats i believe, as shaving the fur can cause it to come back darker. i am not so conceited that i care about the colour of her fur but i was thinking more that with her fur being so long she will have the patch for much longer than someone with shorter fur. i was wondering if this is indeed possible does anyone know how a cat would be after a spey underneath? all my cats have been speyed at side and obviously if Leonie would be in a great deal more pain than having it done on the side, i wouldn't even consider it. what do you think?

Link to CatChat