Author Topic: I think its dandruff what can I do?  (Read 2282 times)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
Re: I think its dandruff what can I do?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 21:38:39 PM »
thanks for that Mrs R - where can you get Viacutan from?

VetUK hunnie, if you use the links on purrs money goes towards cat rescue too.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 21:36:45 PM »
thanks for that Mrs R - where can you get Viacutan from?
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 21:17:09 PM »
I recommend viacutan as it worked on my Vesti quite quickly when he had it.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 15:24:01 PM »
I'll try some of the below and see if that makes any difference - thankfully Mark Jet loves being brushed - any form of strokes gets a thumbs up from her, she is the biggest cuddle pickle going hehe

Susanne - they now have whiskas steamed or Oh so range with PAH silver bag dry (light) ..... I know there's better wet food but they just won't eat it all the time.  Perhaps they'll have to go back to science plan dry when this lot is finished

One of the silly things with light food is they reduce the fats/oils when they really should be reducing the carbs. Cats bodies are designed to process fats but struggle with carbs. This probably doesn't help with dry skin.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 14:03:38 PM »
Think I'm gonna give one of the oil supplements a try - seen 3 on Zooplus - does anyone have any opinions on which to use/steer clear of?  To me they all look the same

Salmopet Salmon Oil   http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/fur_skin_supplements/51017#more
Velcote http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/fur_skin_supplements/13190
Lupoderm  http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/fur_skin_supplements/13653

Oh decisions decisions......... :thanks:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 12:48:40 PM »
They must live in a nive warm cosy house - central heating can cause this to we have it on our oldest lady Sweetie - she is nearly 17 and only goes out from May to September

We use vitacoat stuff and it does help - all the other black cats are fine = That means Diva, Inca, Cougar and Puma are young and move around alot to!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 12:42:10 PM »
I'll try some of the below and see if that makes any difference - thankfully Mark Jet loves being brushed - any form of strokes gets a thumbs up from her, she is the biggest cuddle pickle going hehe

Susanne - they now have whiskas steamed or Oh so range with PAH silver bag dry (light) ..... I know there's better wet food but they just won't eat it all the time.  Perhaps they'll have to go back to science plan dry when this lot is finished

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:55:31 AM »
Also, if your cat doesn't mind it, brushing stimulates glands to produce oil. Kylie will not tolerate brushing and I have the scars to prove it  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:39:18 AM »
fish oil or viacutan might help.  And maybe change their food if possible?  What are they eating?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:28:48 AM »
Regular fish oil capsules are supposed to be good for cats coats - not cod liver oil as it is too high in vitamin A apparently. Most decent dry foods have omega 3 & 6 added. It is probably just the heating drying them out. Kylie has a bit of dandruff at the moment - she gets it every winter - despite decent food. I try to give her oily fish but she only likes white fish.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 09:40:05 AM »
we use those conditioning tablets - the boys think they are treats!!

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 02:24:49 AM »
we use Velcote and it has done wonders for our spaniel and we used it on Mabel and the the kittens when they first came as their coats were *awful*

just takes a couple of drops on food 2-4 times a week and they now have coats of silk

can be found on Zooplus

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 00:08:29 AM »
Oh thanks for this Helen I'll look into getting some of those - I'm not sure if I also heard that cod liver oil on their food is also good for flakey skin

Liza

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 00:06:01 AM »
How about some of those conditioning tablets you can get? I know Tiggy used to love them so they're definitely palatable. I've definitely seen them in Jollyes and would guess PAH do them too.

http://www.mutleyandmog.co.uk/cat/cat-healthcare-hygiene/cat-health/kitzyme-conditioning-tablets-300
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 00:06:58 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
I think its dandruff what can I do?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 23:19:52 PM »
Recently when brushing Jet I've noticed that in her coat are lots of white flecks of skin that cling with static to her fur.  I think its dandruff as I've tired the water test and its doesn't turn brown/red so its not flea dirt.  What can I give her or do to stop this - would cod liver oil in her food help?  If so how much?  She's always had this a little bit and obviously it shows up more on her as she is all black but I've noticed it more since she's stopped eating Natures Menu.  Cruz has this too but no where near as much.  Any ideas  :thanks:

Link to CatChat