Author Topic: Do you sing to your cat?  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Do you sing to your cat?
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 22:32:50 PM »
IN A WORD NO LOL...........THEY WOUKD ALL BE FLYING FOR THE HILLS  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 16:00:56 PM »
I used to sing 'Pop Goes the Weasel' to my Trigger, and he loved it because he knew he would be getting  big kiss on top of his head when I reached POP
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 16:02:02 PM by Kay&2Ts »
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 16:00:44 PM »
Well I tried it with Pussy Cat, they have run for the hills! Time to shake the Crispies and gather the herd together again! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 13:45:31 PM »
This thread has gone bonkers - love it!
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 21:34:27 PM »
Oh yes. Mosi loves it. At least I think he loves it. He may be rushing over to tell me to put a sock in it.  I'm not imaginative so have never got beyond changing the first 2 lines of his special song

Mosi Wosi, give me your answer do
You're half crazy but I still love you
It won't be a stylish marriage
I can't afford a carriage

99% of the time he comes running over as soon as I burst into song

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 18:03:09 PM »
Yes - yes!!  That's it though - you can pick any song you like and change the words to something daft - the cats don't mind -  it's like they know you're singing to them, about them, and of course they adore that!  :wow:

I change the words to "What's new Barley-cat?  Whoooooa whooooa whooooa-oh"    :doh: :doh: :evillaugh: 

Barleycat, Barleycat, I've got flowers
And lots of hours
To spend with you.
So go and powder your cute little pussycat nose!

Barleycat, Barleycat, I love you
Yes, I do!
You and your pussycat nose!

It would work with Denzil's name, Dexter's name or Elsa's name.  Any name really.

Emma - you can't kid a cat.   :evillaugh:  not unless they want you to.  :Luv:

Offline Berry

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 17:46:33 PM »
I used to sing to Berry, it was usually that "sugar pie honey bunch" song except I changed it to sugar pie Berry bunch. He was never impressed! :rofl:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 16:33:38 PM »
Mmmm, don't know that one I'm afraid - may have to try Sue's 'Whats new Pussycat'!

I do know whenever I'm on the phone Denzel will come up to me for cuddles.... I have however tried 'pretending' to have a phonecall on many occasions but the little  :censored: can somehow tell the difference!!!  :Crazy:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 14:21:32 PM »
What tunes were you singing Jezebel?!

An old Pogues song called Oh Kitty - I changed it to "Oh Missy", which is the cat's name. (The last time I sang it aloud was with two flatmates, walking home from a very drunken night out, circa 1987.  :rofl: )
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 14:07:36 PM »
No, but I might give it a go!

What tunes were you singing Jezebel?!
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 11:17:47 AM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  I think from what you're saying, she's very much enjoying it - not the falling out of bed bit - none of us like that very much!  :-:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 10:42:57 AM »
Thanks Sue, I'm glad it's not just me.  :)

To make sure Saturday's reaction wasn't a fluke, I tried it again yesterday. This time Missy rolled over onto her back, stretched her front paws toward me... and fell out of her bed! Understandably, she got a bit hissy and upset, ran out of her pen, ran back in and then sat on the floor, glaring at me. I knelt down (from a safe distance) and sang to her again and she actually came over and brushed herself against me, something she's never done to me before. But possibly she was just telling me to give it a rest. ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 10:15:05 AM »
When we used to have our dog, Tess, she always recognised the theme tune for "Most Haunted" - it was her cue to clamber up on to the sofa and have a snuggle with her Mum, being scared to death in safety.   :evillaugh:

None of our cats like loud music though they do quite enjoy soft music, especially more gentle stuff.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 10:08:56 AM »
not exactly singing but willow hates music, she lived with several members of my family before who I can imagine probably played music too loud, she also hates raised voices for the same reason - she gets really stressed when music comes on the tv

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:47:04 AM »
Oh yes, I do, and they do respond (not always favourably - sometimes they stalk off.)

I used to sing Monster (The Automatics) to Paddy and would sing "What's that comin over the hill - is it a Monsta?  No it's a Padster....!" to Paddy, and he would purr away.  When he went deaf after his health issues, I used to rest my throat against the back of his neck and sing it, and again, his purrs would intensify.  :Luv:

With Barley Gurley I sing "What's new Pussycat" and she slow blinks me, and with Moray I sing "Moray Mint, Moray Mint - too good to hurry, Mint"  (Bit of poetic licence there of course as his name isn't spelt the same, but he doesn't mind.   :Luv:)

You keep on singing, Jezebel.   :) :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:47:25 AM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
Do you sing to your cat?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 09:41:14 AM »
A bit of an odd question, I know!

But if you do, does your cat react at all? And what sort of songs do you sing to him/her?

I'm curious because when I was at the shelter on Saturday, I started singing to one of the cats and the change in her behaviour was incredible!

This particular cat is unpredictable and can be hissy and aggressive without any warning. I was singing (quietly!) because I feel a bit nervous around her and I find singing makes me less nervous. Anyway, she was lying in her bed on the shelf in front of me, and almost immediately she started purring and slow blinking at me! Then she started kneading the air with her front paws. Eventually she lifted one of her back paws and kneaded the air with that too. :Crazy:

Now, I'm not flattering myself that she liked my singing, because I can't sing to save my life, but something made her calm and happy (my singing has never been known to have this effect before!)

So, do you sing to your cat(s)?

Link to CatChat