Author Topic: How many is too many  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: How many is too many
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 21:05:24 PM »
So wish someone had warned me of that when Freddie came to stay (pungent is indeed the right word MM) altho, was so desperate to get him out of RSPCA, I wouldn't have waited anyway  :-:.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 19:57:19 PM »
If you are going to try him i would wait a few weeks after neutering before trying to introduce him, mature toms have a pungent smell that will irritate the most laid back of cats!  ;)

If you have the time and money and no existing issues between your current gang then consider it.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 09:35:21 AM »
Having indoor cats, oh has imposed a strict "number of cats = number of bedrooms" rule and I can understand his point completely.

So are there many 10 bed houses in your area  :shify:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 09:11:59 AM »
There is no set limit, it is all down to time, money and space, and everyone is different. It is always a risk taking in a new cat though, as even if you know you have the space, you could have a personality clash. Good luck with your decision
Please spay your cat

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 22:56:11 PM »
i agree but im lucky i have a 3 bedroomed semi in a very quiet cul-de-sac and a couple of miles of woodland in my front garden,ideal for my cats
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 22:38:40 PM »
Having indoor cats, oh has imposed a strict "number of cats = number of bedrooms" rule and I can understand his point completely. There aren't as many hidey holes/roaming areas as I'd like and with anymore I think it may become less kind to the furries. I do only have a little Barrat-style housey though and I'm sure if we ever moved to a massive 2 bed we'd reconsider.

I think you know your own cats and if they all have their own corners, there are corners to spare and you can afford it go for it!
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 22:33:56 PM »
up until 3 weeks ago i actually had 8 cats, occassionally they do have the odd spat but on the whole they all get along together,whenever ive brought a new one into the house i always put them in the spare room with a grill door so they can see the others and vica versa, within a week i can usually let them out to roam the house and get used to the others, and within a month they are coming and going with the rest of the gang
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 22:31:42 PM »
I suspect that your girl may be the least of any possible problem.  I imagine she will always be aloof from the boys if our Noni is anything to go by.  

Don't know how old this new chap might be. Sometimes male cats who've had their ops late can be quite dominant with other male cats.  All about territory of course.  Is he timid just with humans or is he also timid with cats?  You will never know if you don't try but don't expect miracles in early days.  Our Freddie was a long haired nightmare for about 6 weeks but he's now...  well ....  :shoosh: a bit of a favourite with everyone.  I assume you can afford a 5th?

We've also got 4 but couldn't impose any more upset on 18 yr old Tommie so he's determined our limit.

Offline SuzeB

• Adult Cat
  • Maisie, Genghis and Fred. RIP Loki.
    • PubQuizzy
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 22:19:53 PM »
I have no experience of that many cats but I am sure there are people on here who do. 

My opinion is that if you've really fallen for him, why not give it a go?  If you follow all the correct intro stuff and give him (and the others) a good chance, then they could all get on fine. 

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
How many is too many
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 22:07:40 PM »
I'm being sorely tempted by a cat in need of another home but am wondering would I be pushing my luck or even if this guy is suited to my household. He is a stray, and check have been made to ensure this. The lady who he has strayed to feeds several strays and has determined that he isn't owned. He is a tom but she is taking him to be neutered. He is a long haired boy who seems quite timid. He seems to be a pet cat who has just been thrown out/dumped.

Thing is I already have 4 cats. A 6 year old, 5 year old and 2 who are 2 years old. My eldest is a bit of a loner and whilst she tolerates the other cats and will even sit on a knee with some of them she isn't well bonded with them.

I have a 4 bedroom detached house and my cats are in and out as they please during the day but kept in at night.

What do you think - would my household me too much for him and would adding another cat here throw us into chaos?

It would take a very special cat to tempt me to add another but this guy has for some reason really pulled my heart strings.

Link to CatChat