Author Topic: searching for lost cat - night vision goggles/binoculars  (Read 4418 times)

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
Re: searching for lost cat - night vision goggles/binoculars
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 05:30:59 AM »
In normal circumstances he does respond to the sound of his treats and I have been doing that when I search for him. My enquiry about night vision was just to see if anyone had any experience of using it.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 19:30:09 PM »
I wasn't trying to put you off searching for him, just not sure how effective night vision would be in large areas of shrubbery  :shy: Does he respond to treats being shook or a bowl being 'chinked' with a spoon? You could try and recreate any positive sounds in the hope it will draw him out if he is hiding somewhere  :hug:

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 18:47:28 PM »
Hi again, you are correct in that our whole area is surrounded by shrubbery etc but, how else am I going to search for him? If he is hiding/sleeping in there -I can't hope to see him if he does not repond to my calls. Also, if I am to search at night, I need to think of my own safety. Most of the threads I have read where cats were found, they were found because their people went looking. Othrwise I will just have to hope that he comes home of his own accord.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 15:13:29 PM »
Not saying that he won't be sheltering/sleeping in the bushes/shrubbery, as he may well be - it's just from how you describe your location 'surrounded by countryside with dense foliage' I just can't see how you could possibly search the bushes effectively due to the vast area they cover  :hug:

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 14:48:12 PM »
Hi Tiggy's Mum, well I don't know how else to search in such dense foliage / undergrowth. Are you thinking that he would not be hiding in the bushes because everything that I have read about lost cats says that cats will hide under bushes etc?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 14:41:38 PM »
I don't mean to sound negative but unless you had a very specific search area that you were looking in I don't think night vision would be particularly helpful  :hug: As the area you're in is so rural with I think it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack looking in shrubbery for him  :shy:

I know you're trying to think of anything to try and help get him back, and I would too if I was in your shoes, but I think given your location this probably isn't a useful option  :hug:

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
searching for lost cat - night vision goggles/binoculars
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 13:17:50 PM »
Hello again, I have been searching for Basil for nearly 4 weeks now. We are surrounded by countryside with dense foliage. It is impossible to see into many areas and I was wondering if night-vision goggles or binoculars would be useful. Has anyone here had any experience of using them - not necessarily for looking for lost pets - but in dense foliage / undergrowth and shrubery?  Thanks.

Link to CatChat