Author Topic: Blind & deaf cat found  (Read 5831 times)

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Re: Blind & deaf cat found
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 21:23:30 PM »
Did you post the cat's photo, Fluffy?

Yep!  I must admit I don't think I would do it now (or only post face so that other body markings couldn't be seen) because I know how many people contacted me when it was clearly not their cat.  It wasn't a case of people saying 'hi I lost a cat fitting this description on xxx date, is there any chance this could be him', it was literally people saying 'hi this is my cat when can I come and collect it' or similar.  I don't remember the exact details, but it really was obvious from their emails that they were trying it on for whatever reason.

It just goes to show why microchipping is so very important; I would never have a cat un-microchipped again!

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 15:08:27 PM »

I posted details of a stray cat which turned up at a house of a friend, and I had literally dozens of messages from random people telling me that this was their cat and asking when they could come and collect it, so it's sadly not necessarily a tiny risk. 

Did you post the cat's photo, Fluffy?

So many ads read thusly:

"found black and white moggie, sex unknown, microchip unknown, a bit thin, call if you think this is your cat" with no picture included to help out the many desperate owners who are grasping at straws.

I mean how's anyone supposed to live with themselves if they fail to follow up every possible lead that might just turn out to be their beloved long lost pet? No matter how far away it is?

Many folk found Purrs through having lost their own cat, and I know the awful sinking feeling when hopes are dashed because a "found" ad sounds so much like your pet, you travel for miles to see him but it isn't him, and the world just falls apart all over again.  :(
The kind lady who posted this ad might, as you experienced, have had hundreds of calls by now from sad folk who've lost vaguely brown cats, whom they suspect may have been injured or become ill and blind. So very sad. 

Perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick, but wouldn't it help everyone concerned to have this little fella's picture on?  After all, our formal rescues always post pictures of their lost and found, so why is their situation so different to those posting on NPR etc.?

What more could we as responsible individuals do to protect these found animals?  :grrrrrr:
Maybe this is one for one of our Purrs Rescue pals to comment on, they must have had this debate within their circles?

Meanwhile I hope a loving home can be found for our little new friend. What a sad story.  :(

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 23:47:17 PM »
Yes, there IS an argument that "some bad people" might come along and claim the cat, but this must be such a tiny risk, after all - if anyone wanted to come and claim the cat you'd surely ask for some proof of ownership (like an existing photo for e.g showing them with their puss)?.

I think it's a really tricky balance to give enough information that can help someone to find their cat but not so much that it leaves you without any other details to verify.  I posted details of a stray cat which turned up at a house of a friend, and I had literally dozens of messages from random people telling me that this was their cat and asking when they could come and collect it, so it's sadly not necessarily a tiny risk. 

I wonder also with this particular kitty whether he wasn't deaf/blind when he went missing, maybe he has been missing for years or has had some kind of trauma or illness which has left him this way since he has been stray.  It's so very sad, it must be even more distressing and confusing for such a kitty.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 23:48:06 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 16:36:52 PM »
it's quite possible some owners don't have a good photo of their cat - especially older people who may not be into digital cameras and smartphones

it does make sense though for everyone to have a clear photo of their cat, showing all markings, just in case
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 14:52:15 PM »
It would help if they posted a photo.  :(

I spend time (sometimes  :-[ ) trawling the lost posts of these sites (I think you do too Heather?) to see if I can match losts to founds - even with only one success ever I'm driven to do this - and wonder why it is so many people won't post pictures of their lost loved ones or the found babies.

Yes, there IS an argument that "some bad people" might come along and claim the cat, but this must be such a tiny risk, after all - if anyone wanted to come and claim the cat you'd surely ask for some proof of ownership (like an existing photo for e.g showing them with their puss)?

But what's the argument against posting photo of the Lost cat? Huh??

I just don't get this whole "vague" description thing.

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 19:10:35 PM »
Poor little thing,i wonder where he belongs?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 17:22:36 PM »
Poor baby  :( Someone somewhere must be missing him.

I noticed they had advertised him as 'tortoiseshell' yet teh as says he is defo a neutered male as confirmed by a vet. I wonder if he's a tabby or maybe it's a female tortoiseshell.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Blind & deaf cat found
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 16:04:23 PM »
Oh this poor fur baby! :-(
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:08:53 AM »
how sad, poor puss I hope someone can be found to care for it  :'(

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
Blind & deaf cat found
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:30:42 AM »

Link to CatChat