Author Topic: Black and white visitor in Selly Oak, Birmingham. Advice needed please.  (Read 7805 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Black and white visitor in Selly Oak, Birmingham. Advice needed please.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 18:20:40 PM »
UPDATE:
This situation sorted itself out as the cat stopped turning up. I'm sure he had a home and that his people had gone away - maybe a student-owned cat? - I have problems with a feral now!  >:(
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Fred

• Adult Cat
  • Solitaire - our furbaby :)
  • Slave to: Mrs Solitaire Meow & Mr Connery Sir Purrs-Alot (formally known as Milo)
Black and white visitor in Selly Oak, Birmingham. Advice needed please.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 00:07:36 AM »
Hi, hk, we've a visitor too, he's trying to move in, Sheilarose dawnf and emmmylou are right, talk to your vets. As far as i know, most vets have special set up for looking after strays/ferrels, they are sometimes supported by RSPCA and or provide discounts for ppl struggling money wise but if it's not your cat I'd be surprised they would charge you much, if at all. I can't swear to this as I've yet to take a found kitty to the drs, although I am considering checking our visitor with the vets.

However, I have taken several wild birds for treatment, ones our sol has brought me, she likes to give me them live, plus I have also taken a sea gull to the vets. I found him trapped in some plastic ring beer wrapping, got a freind to hold the bird whilst cutting it free and hold it in the car. I took the bird to be checked over, it was fine, had a feed and drink, they kept it over night before releasing it. I've never been charged by our vets for the birds treatment.

Best of luck, whatever action you choose, I hope your fur babies are ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
Re: Black and white visitor in Selly Oak, Birmingham. Advice needed please.
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 22:16:14 PM »
I'd talk to your vet nurse, HK and see if they would help you out for free, or a nominal charge. I took George in for a chip scan and cursory examination. The VN checked his back end (ripe for podding was her phrase) and scanned him for a chip, checked him for fleas and weighed him, all free of charge. If he'd had a collar on she would have checked the ID for me too I'm sure. See if you can talk yours into helping you out - you can spoon on the desperation (he's causing so much trouble, scared of disease etc)  :shify:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
I've taken a look at the microchip cat flaps available at Amazon. There are some really bad reviews of them not working properly etc: cats being shut out or in; strange cats finding their way through the flaps. Many of them seem to end up being used as manual flaps: very expensive manual flaps.

Back to the drawing board...

I'm hoping that squirting him with a water pistol will deter him, though he dodges it very well. At least he's getting the message to go home.

I've a feeling he's an unneutered tom: the house is beginning to smell of tom cat, but I'm not sure where he's doing it.  >:(
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 13:49:34 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
I know you cant take him in  :hug:

I know its unfair for your cats, but if you keep taking the food away he might stop bothering you?! We have a 'visitor' who comes in for food too, (sometimes just to sleep...) and he is looked after and has a home... maybe our food is just tastier than his. Maybe if you gain his trust a little you could look at his id or get a paper collar on?

the microchip catflaps are about £70, so not cheap :shocked:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
no advice I'm afraid, sounds like a real pain but just wanted to say you wouldn't need to re-microchip, you programme in the numbers your chips have

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Emmy lou, if he is lost, there's no way I can take him in. I couldn't afford to feed him, and my cats hate him. If he's lost I'd leave him as an outdoor cat and just post Found notices. He's strong and healthy and would do well as a feral.

I've only ever rescued cats who were in need eg: Lucy's kittens had flu during a cold winter. I can't home every feral/lost cat in the area  :Crazy:

The neighbourhood is mostly student houses now, only a very few are owner-occupied. The nearest (was just interrupted by his face appearing through the cat-flap in my bedroom door) resident doesn't know him or of him, and she usually makes it her business to know everything; you know the type.

Just had to chase him out of the house (it's midnight and I'm perched on the bed with my laptop). I have two catflaps: one in my back door; one in my bedroom door. He's found his way through the first, now it looks like the cheeky cat wants to come through the second.

I'm pretty convinced he does have a home and they put him out at night as that is when I usually see him; though I've seen him in the afternoon as well. He doesn't act like a feral (doesn't run away when approached, but stands and fights); and I'm fairly convinced he's an opportunist 'owned' cat. I've started putting out only as much food as my cats eat at once, and clearing up any remains. I usually let them graze, but this cat just pops in and eats the lot.

About trapping and taking to the vet: a strategic nightmare, cos he's mostly about at night and I want to avoid letting him out of the trap. I'm sure you know that, once trapped, most cats are trapwise. The trap isn't large enough for a litter tray etc so that he can stay there till the vets are open; so I'm going off the notion of doing this.

I've considered an electronic catflap, but hate collars. I'd expect the microchip ones to be expensive, especially with 6 cats to re-microchip.

I'm flumoxed.  :grrrrrr:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
I would ring your vets first to explain, and hope they are of a generous nature :)

I think you need to find out what his story is for your own peace of mind too, you dont want to just abandon him if he is lost....

Have you tried just asking around your neighbourhood to see if he has a home?
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
HK the vet nurses should be able to scan said cat and I think trapping and getting the collar checked is a great idea may help another wee one find its way home

Also hope your tetnus is up to date knowing how the little darlings can shred us
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
There's a black and white cat who permanently hangs round the cat flap and comes into the kitchen and lounge while I'm upstairs. I know this because he wears a blue collar with bell: I hear him tinkling. Also, my other cats fiercely object to him, and fights break out.

I tried to look at the id barrel on his collar, but he attacked me viciously.
I've now resorted to a water-pistol to send him home, wherever that is.

Part of me is concerned: could he be lost? The other part is annoyed by his antics. I'm feeding 7 cats, effectively, and I can't afford it. He's making my cats stress.

No way will he let me read the paper inside his barrel or let me put a paper collar on him.

What should I do?

:thanks:

PS It's occurred to me that his collar might be very tight, hence the reaction when I reached for it. Would it be worth trapping him, taking him to the vet to have collar removed and the id barrel examined; also have him scanned, and a paper collar put on him? I have a feral trap.
My main concern about doing this is the cost. Having 6 cats isn't cheap and I'm on a tight budget. I'm sure the vet would charge full consultation etc for this.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:53:39 AM by Hippykitty, Reason: Title change and additional info. »

Link to CatChat