Author Topic: My Lost & Found Cat  (Read 7926 times)

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
Re: My Lost & Found Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 19:00:27 PM »
Hi Diana

I will drop you a PM or email. I made a good start last year and awareness of Petsearch was quite high and I was gettong quite a few calls. I then got involved with a feral family in October and the majority of my spare time was taken up trapping them, sorting them out and taming the kittens. So I haven't been able to proactively promote Petsearch, just deal with calls and queries as and when they came in :(

It will be great to have you on board.

Speak soon

Steff
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline DianaE

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Cleo, Eva, Elan
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »
Hi Stephanie,

Unfortunately its only when your cat goes missing that you really start to make contacts and see all the hard work that people do to get their pets home.  Although I've been through bereavement and illnesses etc, I've never had a cat go missing until Elan, and even I was taken aback by what a dreadful experience it is, and also how many others are going through the same thing every day.

I also used Twitter etc when Elan was missing - and had a huge response from so many people on there - it was amazing.

So I would be delighted to help out in the Bedford area, do let me know what you'd like me to do, I am getting together all the information I have about local vets etc.

Diana

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 00:38:03 AM »
I knew I recognised the name Elan but have only been checking in on my mobile so wasn't able to see where Diana was based. I am the Petsearch Bedford volunteer and I don't believe we spoke about Elan but I think I saw a notice/poster about her (possibly in pets at home).

I'm still fairly unknown unfortunately but did get some publicity after a story in the Beds on Sunday last May.

Your's is a brilliant story and one that makes a "Petsearcher" like me very happy :D I am very happy to hear your family is complete once again.

If you would like to help out at all with Petsearch Bedford then please let me know...the more the merrier :)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 23:41:55 PM »
So pleased that you found your Elan and good for other people to hear your story. Hope Elan recovers from her ordeal - such a pretty little girl :Luv2:

Although my girl is home safe, I will continue to check all the lost and found sites regularly, and I hope that anyone with a lost cat is reunited soon.

I noticed when I saw your post on CC that you are in Bedfordshire. Might be worth speaking with your local rescues/or I believe there is a member on Purrs who is Petsearch Bedford about helping to reunite cats locally?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 23:44:24 PM by Edd »

Offline DianaE

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 21:21:09 PM »
Ah thank you everyone, what a lovely welcome  :thanks:

Elan seems a little better this evening, and thankfully has shown no sign of wanting to go out at all - mind you she is ground for a very long time.  She is super-snuggly, and before she disappeared, she hated to be held - now she doesn't mind at all  :)

Keep positive when searching for your kitties - they may be close just waiting to hear your voice.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 18:38:16 PM »
What a lovely heartwarming story, just goes to show you should never give up hope  :)

:welcome: to Purrs by the way, beautiful cats you have there  :Luv:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 15:05:15 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: I'm so pleased to hear Elan is back home safe and well ... she's gorgeous, as are Chloe & Eva.

Thanks for sharing your story  :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 13:02:11 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Thank you for posting Elans story and so pleased she came home, cos as Trigger says it gives hope to all those still looking for their missing cats  ;D

Your cats are stunners  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline DianaE

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
And here are my gorgeous girls who are no longer with us - Smalls is the very special, one-of-a-kind tabby I had the good fortune to know for 8 years - sadly taken by kidney tumours in 2009 - she was a kind, compassionate, beautiful cat, who lay on my bump throughout my pregnancy. In the picture with Elan, she took her under her wing.

And finally Candy, who died last year peacefully in her sleep aged 15 - she was a semi-feral rescue.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:36:12 AM by DianaE »

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 11:25:38 AM »
what gorgeous girls  :Luv:.  so glad you got your baby back and  :welcome: to Purrs
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline DianaE

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:16:22 AM »
Then there's Elan, the naughty girl who has been missing for 4 weeks - my baby girl  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:17:50 AM by DianaE »

Offline DianaE

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 11:13:27 AM »
Here is my eldest girl, Cleo, who is 16 - handreared from 2 weeks old - she is special and knows it  ;D
My middle girl, Eva with the felix face, she is soppy as anything - a serial headbutter and tripper-over.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:57:49 AM »
welcome to Purrs, Diana, and thank you for sharing Elan's story with us

such stories give hope to others who have lost their beloved cats, and a bit of a warm fuzzy glow to those who haven't  :innocent:

we are though going to need to see photos of the three lovelies sometime soon :sneaky:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline DianaE

• Kitten
My Lost & Found Cat
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:48:25 AM »
Hello all,
I registered on your website on Christmas Day to post a notice about my lost cat, but unfortunately the activation email went into my junk so I didn't get around to putting it on yet.

I am here to tell my story in the hope it may help someone, I know that reading stories of lost and found cats really helped me over the past month.

My girl Elan went missing on 8th December 2010, the day we moved house I was very ill with the vomiting bug, I moved all three of my girls that day, and did everything to keep them secure whilst things were being moved in. But I fell asleep in the chaos, and my baby cat who is the most scared of the three managed to get out as soon as a door was opened. For the 1st 24 hours I thought she was hiding under the kitchen cabinets, because that was the first place she went and I was used to her hiding for a while when visitors came etc. The next day I called her, expected to see her, started searching everywhere in the house but it became apparent she was not in the house. I started to panic. I called and called, walked the neighbourhood, I was terrified because she didn't know the area at all and it then started to get very cold and snow.
I did all the posters and flyers and distributed them three streets from home, put them in shops, cars etc, but didn't hear a thing. Looked at all the websites recommended, deposited hoover bag, put out bedding, dirty t-shirts etc, and some food every day.

Three weeks on from the last time I saw her, I'd heard nothing, no sign of her at all, no phone calls, I was at my wits-end.  Then on new years eve, I went out just before midnight to call her as usual, and I heard a squeak from over the road. Every time I called her, I heard the squeak. I called my partner, who heard it faintly, then I could not get an answer again. Then the fireworks started, and despite calling day and night after that I still heard nothing. I tried to get hold of the people over the road, they either ignored me or wouldn't answer their door, but we are new to the road and some people can be funny.

Then last night, Elan had been missing 4 weeks, I went outside in my back garden about 9pm, another cat had popped out with me, I couldn't see her so I called her - and I heard a squeak/cry in response, which wasn't her, I knew straightaway it was Elan. So I kept calling, keeping my voice as calm as I could, the squeaking got louder and more urgent, and I was able to coax her close and get her through the thick hedge between mine and my neighbour's garden.  I could not believe it, there she was, my little girl in my arms.

She has lost a lot of weight, a few scrapes, but she looked quite clean and her coat was good. She now keeps trying to get into small dark spaces, and she is hiding. I will take her to be checked over at the vets, but I don't want to traumatise her with a car trip for a day or two.

I do really think that putting my dirty laundry around the house boundary helped keep her close after she got out of wherever she was, and also calling her every day from the same spot without fail.

Although my girl is home safe, I will continue to check all the lost and found sites regularly, and I hope that anyone with a lost cat is reunited soon.

Link to CatChat